The Queen of the South thread

A player I thought we got rid of too soon but I'd still be hoping for a bit of extra quality than that on top.
Yeah it would be a strange one probably need more qaulity than that tbh.

Don’t want to get too carried away with friendlies, but thought we played very well second half. As with the comments on Wednesday night, really impressed with the young boys that came on. Definitely good signs for the season ahead. 

No other trialists, just Irving. Agree I’d like to see a bit more quality up top and somebody out wide to complete the squad. 

Don’t want to get too carried away with friendlies, but thought we played very well second half. As with the comments on Wednesday night, really impressed with the young boys that came on. Definitely good signs for the season ahead. 

No other trialists, just Irving. Agree I’d like to see a bit more quality up top and somebody out wide to complete the squad. 

Murray and Todd will be our wide men

4 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Need to get the Fizpartrick saga sorted then WG can replace him .

Very difficult to get quality up top.

2 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Need to get the Fizpartrick saga sorted then WG can replace him .

Agreed, but not sure Queens are in control of the time frame here ... its probably down to whether or not Partick are willing to pay the compensation figure and how long the negotiation takes; it may even go to a tribunal of some kind.  I suppose if Partick lose interest due to the fee being requested we could end up with a player that doesn't really want to be here and we get a player who isn't giving us 100%.  Difficult one this.

What happens if Partick (or another interested club for that matter) want Fitzy but won't pay the fee?  Is Fitzy then in limbo and can't sign for anyone else and effectively has to return to Queens?  I'm not sure how this works.

On 01/07/2022 at 15:04, Otis Blue said:

Thought this might have been about some of the old/out of date signs lying around the car park that @monkeytennis gets frustrated with ... 🙄

Now that really does deserve its own thread.

I was optimistic today when I noticed that the parking spaces in the Arena car park had had their lines repainted, but no, our crippled sign still lies forlorn in a corner.  Meanwhile, the 'upcoming match' sign is still advertising the fateful draw we had with Ayr in April.

You're sorry you mentioned it, aren't you?

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

From the game itself I remember JR dispossessing  the late Sandy Jardine just over the halfway line just after HT running in and rounding the 'keeper and netting from a wide tight angle.  I was in the Old Stand close to Directors Box and remember vividly the ashen face and shocked look on Wallace Mercers' face. Hearts were struggling at that time.  Sadly for us, the red faced Walter Kidd equalised from left side just outside the box with about 7 mins left.  We lost the replay 3-1 I think.

Great memories there and so many great names from the past of Scottish Football.

Was it not a guy called Shields who equalised for Hearts?  I remember our goal coming from Robertson latching onto a short pass back.  I think the replay finished 1-0, but could be wrong.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was it not a guy called Shields who equalised for Hearts?  I remember our goal coming from Robertson latching onto a short pass back.  I think the replay finished 1-0, but could be wrong.

Yes it was Shields who equalised.

Like you I recall that Hearts won the replay 1-0.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Guest Flash
21 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes it was Shields who equalised.

Like you I recall that Hearts won the replay 1-0.

London Hearts website confirms Peter Shields scored the equaliser and that the replay finished 1-0 Hearts.
John Robertson (Hearts) and Jim Wilkie sent off together in the first game. Willie Johnston (Hearts) and Jimmy Miller sent off together in the second game as well as Queens Willie Young in 87th minute

Queens v Hearts

Hearts v Queens

Quitonga has been excellent in last two matches - if he maintains this form he will be almost first name on team sheet.

McKechnie did really well today and in his sub appearance at Raith. If wingers are to be deployed think he would be a much better option than Murray who lacks the pace necessary to go past defenders on the outside.

I am reluctant to be too bullish after friendly wins but two very competent and entertaining away wins. Like the look of the new defensive players and delighted to see some local young players that actually look good enough to make the grade (and more). Young Gibson will challenge for a starting berth soon and a special mention for Ryan Muir - have only seen him for about a combined 30 minutes but he looks a natural.

Once Reilly, Wilson, East and Ruth are available there will be a fight for places.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

London Hearts website confirms Peter Shields scored the equaliser and that the replay finished 1-0 Hearts.
John Robertson (Hearts) and Jim Wilkie sent off together in the first game. Willie Johnston (Hearts) and Jimmy Miller sent off together in the second game as well as Queens Willie Young in 87th minute

Queens v Hearts

Hearts v Queens

Am I right in saying that Barney was superb in the Palmerston game? One of the best keepers I've seen at Queens. 

2071294855_Screenshot2022-07-02at22_16_02.thumb.png.9851f0efb11ff002b949554ed0c5d709.png

All preseason lineups and substitutions. The substitutions aren't player for player but by position (e.g. vs Raith Rovers McKechnie was subbed on for Paul McKay but played at RWB).

My thoughts:

Wullie seems to be favouring either a 3421 or 3412 formation, which so far I like as it allows Connelly to be more central than where he was at the end of last season where he was stuck out wide. Also Todd and Quitongo have both played very well in their positions, Quitongo's form being especially pleasing due to the doubts (myself included) around his ability upon signing. I've also been pleased to see so many youth players given a chance, particularly Lewis Gibson who looks to be a real player, getting an assist today as well.

I would use a similar team in the league cup next week, although that depends on the fitness of those who haven't played so far. Does anyone know if Gibson has decided whether he will be a regular first team player this season? Obviously he hasn't played himself so far in preseason. I would imagine he would be very good at RWB though!

I now can't wait for the season to start as we look to have a good squad, certainly better than last year already. Hopefully the campaign doesn't end up being too disappointing...

///

Raith Rovers highlights incase you haven't seen them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvyAnYaRxdQ

Today's trialist was confirmed to be Ross Irving in this article: http://www.qosfc.com/news-5799. If it has been confirmed, does that mean we are signing him? I didn't think the trialist names were publicly disclosed by clubs.