The Queen of the South thread

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

Hopefully merging that thread into this one will be enough to remove the curse.

I know I'm not the brightest but what threads have been merged? And what was this one's.title changed from?

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I know I'm not the brightest but what threads have been merged? And what was this one's.title changed from?

“Positive signs at Palmerston” or something else similar to the “Great Feeling at Cappielow” one which saw them relegated about two seasons after it was started.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I notice in today's Courier Wullie Gibson said he had another talk with Josh Rae after his other deal (with Carlisle?) fell through. Josh apparently wanted guarantee of regular starts but as Queens had already signed Max Currie, Wullie said he couldn't guarantee that and he'd need to compete for first choice. Obviously Josh didn't fancy that and got a suitable offer from Airdrie, good luck to him anyway. Wullie said every player must earn their starting place. Wullie also hinted that Fitzpatrick re-signing is not completely dead and buried although Partick are obvious faavourites for him but he is leaving negotiations between the clubs over compo to those upstairs. . He also said that, although he wouldn't rule it out if the right players are available, he hoped not to rely on the loan market this season. He wants to run with a squad of 20 plus some of the youngsters and is still hoping to sign a midfielder and striker. Wullie showing that it's not too hard to keep fans reasonably informed of you want to. 

Thanks for this post FTB, cheers.

The Josh Rae thing - these things happen ... JR says he's leaving, WG signs Currie to fill the gap, then JR gets back in touch to say his move is off, by which time it's too late to make JR No.1 ... c'est la vie ... no one's fault.

Fitzpatrick deal still looks a long shot, but the door is still ajar. You never know...

Not relying on loanees, interesting, could be a good move ...

Still looking for a midfielder and a striker - makes sense.

Liking WG's approach so far ... 👍

Scott Dunn has signed for Stranraer.  I hope he does well there, he looked like a decent prospect if a bit raw in the league cup games he played in for us last season.

“Positive signs at Palmerston” or something else similar to the “Great Feeling at Cappielow” one which saw them relegated about two seasons after it was started.
That thread was/is surely one of the best on P n B.

Sad to hear our former keeper Andy Goram  has past away aged 58. 

edited to add.

IOur former player manager Drew Busby also passed away the other day too. 

RIP

58C32548-F8D6-47A3-ADB5-C712A88A5B7B.jpeg

3584790E-C175-4E90-8C10-C6615799BD74.jpeg

Edited by qos_75

18 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Sad to hear our former keeper Andy Goram  has past away aged 58. 

58C32548-F8D6-47A3-ADB5-C712A88A5B7B.jpeg

What a keeper and character .

Think it was 2002 we won the Bells Cup he organised the party after it some Queens players not seen for days .

Had time for everyone never once turned down a picture or autograph sad loss 

R.I.P. Andy 

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer70 said:

Very strange that East Wilson and Reilly have not played a single minute of pre season. None of them feature today

Surely not injured already

It is a worry already that all 3 are out.

Surely would be involved if fit .

Down to 1 trialist now surely he should start to get a good look at him 

35 minutes ago, Doonhamer70 said:

Very strange that East Wilson and Reilly have not played a single minute of pre season. None of them feature today

Not injured just not ready yet. No point risking people in a pre season friendly if they’re not quite 100% match fit 

Remember a cup tie with Aberdeen at Palmy when The Goalie strolled over towards the Dons fans in the East stand (he'd been getting dogs abuse from them all game) when the ball was up the other end and pointed to his erse ... some character ... RIP.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Remember a cup tie with Aberdeen at Palmy when The Goalie strolled over towards the Dons fans in the East stand (he'd been getting dogs abuse from them all game) when the ball was up the other end and pointed to his erse ... some character ... RIP.

My recollection of that is that he went to collect the ball towards the Blue Stand for a goal or free kick and dropped his shorts, as you rightly say he had been getting abuse all game.  I remember Drew Busby as a hard as nails centre forward for Hearts but when he was with us my immediate memory is of when we were at home to Hearts in SC - 1983 I think -  the Terregles end was full of Jambos and they gave him a fantastic reception when he entered the field of play..  

From the game itself I remember JR dispossessing  the late Sandy Jardine just over the halfway line just after HT running in and rounding the 'keeper and netting from a wide tight angle.  I was in the Old Stand close to Directors Box and remember vividly the ashen face and shocked look on Wallace Mercers' face. Hearts were struggling at that time.  Sadly for us, the red faced Walter Kidd equalised from left side just outside the box with about 7 mins left.  We lost the replay 3-1 I think.

Great memories there and so many great names from the past of Scottish Football.

2 hours ago, Doonhamer70 said:

Reilly is here and was warming up with the squad. Was doing some additional cardio stuff, but was doing much of the same stuff as the first 11 so not far away I assume. 

Played ok the first 45. Started really well, but Hamilton probably the better side the last 30. Bit lopsided the way we are set up and left Quitongo at left full back pretty isolated. Quitongo, McKenna and McGrory the pick of the bunch for me so far.