The Queen of the South thread

Aye young Gibson will definitely be looking to feature regularly if he can reach the performances he is capable of consistently. Watched him a few times for the 18's and he's usually one of the top 2 performers. Has a goal in him as well and has scored some genuine screamers. If he can bring that to the first team we've got ourselves a player. He is so like his dad at that age it's scary. He loves to take a man on but sometimes does too much instead of passing. Hopefully being in the first team that gets knocked out of him and he is encouraged to find a pass when needed. But I hope he brings the fearlessness with him.

Really think WG has missed a trick not bringing Nathan Naylor along with him. He was another one who was really consistent and for his age holds the ball remarkably well. Loves to take folk on as well and has a goal in him too. I'd have taken Naylor over the other two young lads tbh. Hopefully the other two kick on along with Gibson though and we have some decent young players to call on.

Naylor maybe still involved with reserves?

Liked look of both versus saints when they came on
Aye I thought Naylor and Oram would have joined Gibson tbh. Oram is smaller than Johnstone but he gets stuck in far more. I can't recall much of Jay in all honesty. That's not to say he wasn't any good, he just wasn't one that stood out for me like the other 3 did.

Aye I thought Naylor and Oram would have joined Gibson tbh. Oram is smaller than Johnstone but he gets stuck in far more. I can't recall much of Jay in all honesty. That's not to say he wasn't any good, he just wasn't one that stood out for me like the other 3 did.

I’ve not seen a great deal of them tbh, but have been told burns is a player. I hope to get to more games this season when possible, I think our manager will take more interest in them than previous

Must admit for the first time in a long time I'm feeling upbeat as the new season approaches. WG has been quick off the mark getting players signed up and the news today that Gordon Marshall is now the goalkeeping coach and Robert Kielty appointed as a consultant sport scientist and head of fitness, together with input from Stirling University, is all very positive. Clearly the Board are looking to get back to the Championship at the first time of asking. I suppose this begs the question that why didn't we put in this effort last season? Perhaps changing manager so late on was more to do with contractual matters or maybe the thought was to go down, rebuild and establish a sound foundation to progress thereafter. The game against Hamilton, not a team we do well against and now managed by an ex player, will show us if the Raith game was a one off...hopefully not.   

17 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Anyone heard anything about when we’ll see next seasons kits?

What were we wearing at Raith? Looks like old away kit from a couple of years ago. 

I notice in today's Courier Wullie Gibson said he had another talk with Josh Rae after his other deal (with Carlisle?) fell through. Josh apparently wanted guarantee of regular starts but as Queens had already signed Max Currie, Wullie said he couldn't guarantee that and he'd need to compete for first choice. Obviously Josh didn't fancy that and got a suitable offer from Airdrie, good luck to him anyway. Wullie said every player must earn their starting place. Wullie also hinted that Fitzpatrick re-signing is not completely dead and buried although Partick are obvious faavourites for him but he is leaving negotiations between the clubs over compo to those upstairs. . He also said that, although he wouldn't rule it out if the right players are available, he hoped not to rely on the loan market this season. He wants to run with a squad of 20 plus some of the youngsters and is still hoping to sign a midfielder and striker. Wullie showing that it's not too hard to keep fans reasonably informed of you want to. 

Cheers for this summary.

That's all pretty positive. Interesting re Rae. Can't blame him for wanting first team football.

I notice in today's Courier Wullie Gibson said he had another talk with Josh Rae after his other deal (with Carlisle?) fell through. Josh apparently wanted guarantee of regular starts but as Queens had already signed Max Currie, Wullie said he couldn't guarantee that and he'd need to compete for first choice. Obviously Josh didn't fancy that and got a suitable offer from Airdrie, good luck to him anyway. Wullie said every player must earn their starting place. Wullie also hinted that Fitzpatrick re-signing is not completely dead and buried although Partick are obvious faavourites for him but he is leaving negotiations between the clubs over compo to those upstairs. . He also said that, although he wouldn't rule it out if the right players are available, he hoped not to rely on the loan market this season. He wants to run with a squad of 20 plus some of the youngsters and is still hoping to sign a midfielder and striker. Wullie showing that it's not too hard to keep fans reasonably informed of you want to. 

42 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Cheers for this summary.

That's all pretty positive. Interesting re Rae. Can't blame him for wanting first team football.

Yeah wanting starts is fine but nobody should be guaranteed anything.  Definitely the correct decision if that’s the case.

Maybe we are better without Rae. No player should be guaranteed a starting place. For someone that was only with us for 1 season and was unfortunate to get a bad injury and be out for half that season he sounds like a bit of a billy big bawz

• Homer Thompson changed the title to The Queen of the South thread