The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Hopefully you southern hillbillies don’t use this to try and manufacture some fake rivalry with us.

Buzzing for Quintongo’s GIRFUY when we pump you this year 

16 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Hopefully you southern hillbillies don’t use this to try and manufacture some fake rivalry with us.

I was confusing your username with our biggest rivals in the world, Ayr United 

8 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Signing this morning, Wullie just put something on twitter

6B1402F5-F5B8-46C7-97C8-854D26D7643B.jpeg

10 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

You’d think going by some of the comments on this that Josh Rae was Oliver Kahn 😂 

All the best to him at Airdrie as he was good for us but when we’re up against him next season I’m hoping to see him picking the ball out the Airdrie net on numerous occasions! 

This is what makes me slightly wary. Don't get me wrong I'm pleased with the signing but the opinions of Queens fans don't seem to match that of managers round the country given that he's had to drop into League 1.

For some goalkeepers playing in a worse team in a league, as he did last season, can help them stand out as mistakes don't tend to be as high profile when you are losing nearly 2 goals a game anyway, plus they have more opportunity to show off their shot stopping skills and appear to be the hero keeping teams in games.

Like I say I'm really pleased with the signing, but keeping my expectations realistic.

Appreciate QoTS fans would've seen allot more of him, but I can't remember him being as good as he's been made out in the past two pages. 

I just thought he was a reasonably competent championship keeper, he was just alright. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Appreciate QoTS fans would've seen allot more of him, but I can't remember him being as good as he's been made out in the past two pages. 

I just thought he was a reasonably competent championship keeper, he was just alright. 

That’s how I saw him, I would’ve been happy to have kept him as he was a decent shot stopper but he was 2nd choice until Sol Brynn got recalled by ‘Boro.  Keeping the likes of Connelly was far more important.

Played right back primarily for Thistle last season, but consensus from a couple of thistle supporting friends is that he’s better at centre half. Looks a bit lost going forward.

Played plenty of games for a good thistle side last season. We’re pretty stacked now in terms of defenders but seems a good enough addition. 

Mikey Doyle on trial at Hamilton, so don’t think we’ll see him back. 

Another defender? 🤯

That must bring closure to the Broadfoot rumour, Shirley?

Always good to welcome a new signing, but let's hope a striker and a left winger are due in soon.

Another defender? [emoji2962]
That must bring closure to the Broadfoot rumour, Shirley?
Always good to welcome a new signing, but let's hope a striker and a left winger are due in soon.
Aye you'd think that'll be us for defenders. 6 signed now with Jay Burns a 7th if required and of course Gibson can play there as well. We've got 6 players who can play wide as well so I'm not desperate for a wide player, though would be happy if we got one. It's all about a striker or two for me now.

We had him when he returned from his scholarship in America. Was very raw and ropey at us and I don't think that's changed much. He's incredibly soft for a centre back so I can see why Mccall had him playing right back instead.

Edited by FFC 1876

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We had him when he returned from his scholarship in America. Was very raw and ropey at us and I don't think that's changed much. He's incredibly soft for a centre back so I can see why Mccall had him playing right back instead.

To be fair that was over 3 years ago he joined you, surely came on a bit since then 

2 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

That’s how I saw him, I would’ve been happy to have kept him as he was a decent shot stopper but he was 2nd choice until Sol Brynn got recalled by ‘Boro.  Keeping the likes of Connelly was far more important.

Josh was first choice until he got injured. 

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This is what makes me slightly wary. Don't get me wrong I'm pleased with the signing but the opinions of Queens fans don't seem to match that of managers round the country given that he's had to drop into League 1.

For some goalkeepers playing in a worse team in a league, as he did last season, can help them stand out as mistakes don't tend to be as high profile when you are losing nearly 2 goals a game anyway, plus they have more opportunity to show off their shot stopping skills and appear to be the hero keeping teams in games.

Like I say I'm really pleased with the signing, but keeping my expectations realistic.

In terms of shot stopping, according to the SPFL stats his saves as a percentage of shots on target was about 66%, or about a third of shots on target resulted in a goal. The best in the division was Hemming who had a saves % of 77%. Obviously, if you’re playing behind a worse defence, you’re generally going to be facing more difficult shots to save. But just taking the percentages on their own, if Queens 2 keepers had a 77% saves percentage instead of both being around 66-68%, they would have conceded 37 goals instead of 54.

That's Rhys McCabe, Callum Fordyce, David Hutton, Josh Rae, Adam Frizzell & Salim Kouider-Aissa all at Airdrie now - 50% of their signed squad.

Somebody at the Excelsior seems to have a bizarre fetish for ex-QOS players... 😕

We're definitely building from the back! Another decent recruit on paper.

I wonder if Wullie wants to make sure we are well covered so he isn't needed for every minute of every game like last year. Sure he'll be around as a player if required though but perhaps keen to focus more on the manager side this year.