The Queen of the South thread

Someone in the staff must have a digital camera or, at least, a fancy enough phone.

Still find it mad that we’ve not seen any official photographs of new players signing or from our preseason training etc. 
Doesn’t seem to be an issue with every other club including our local amateur teams [emoji15]

Guest Flash
15 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Without checking, I can only recall a handful of matches in the last 20 years where we have had a crowd of around 6,000 in our 8,500 capacity stadium, and of those only about two were mainly QOS supports (the 2002 title winning game v Morton, where there were only around 200 away fans and the Cup Quarter Final with Dundee where the Dees brought about 2,000).  So I just don't see the need for a larger 8,500 ground capacity.  I feel sorry for clubs having to play in soul-less overly large and mostly empty stadiums.

I’m pretty sure the capacity was only 6,000ish for the Morton and Dundee games. It only increased to over 8,000 when the Terregles St. end re-opened and that didn’t happen until after we came back up in 2013. I can’t remember if either game sold out, probably not. However, Dundee might have brought more fans if the terracing had been available for them.
Anyway, my point was that I don’t think you should restrict the capacity based on current levels. You never know what might happen in the future and if a bigger ground was necessary, it could be too late to do anything about it. We’re only talking about the difference between about 9,000 and 6,000. I don’t think the ground being too big just now is the issue with atmosphere. Probably more to do with Queens winning 8 out of the last 36 home league games.

As Flash refers to,  the dross teams we’ve fielded in recent years is the biggest problem in terms of crowds dropping and rubbish atmosphere.  Palmerston in its current form can generate a good atmosphere with just 2-3000 in it…. you just need to have a team on the field that encourages folk back.

If we somehow got to a position of challenging at the top of the Championship then crowds would undoubtedly rise (you only need to look at Arbroath last season as an example of how a towns support can be invigorated!)

15 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Palmerston just needs a tidy up for now next big job is getting a new pitch for next season.

Back to the football could really do with a update from Wullie on how training is going and everything else from adding to his staff and more new signing.

I think you’re 100% correct. I loved going to Palmerston as a boy, amazing what a good tidy up, paint and repair job could do for the feeling of the place in the meantime.

I realise some of the comments about Palmerston in the last few pages may not have been entirely serious and a lot are just plain wishful thinking, but realistically all we can expect, and really need, at present tbf  is a good clean up and paint job all round, by professionals if needs be. The Old Stand roof is an eyesore and really needs cleaned but beyond that I don't think it's the time to be splashing cash on major upgrades and pie-in-the-sky schemes. We're in the 3rd tier of professional football, crowds are dwindling, even if we're successful at this level who's to say they'll come back even if we go back up again, and if, heaven forbid, we drop further down the ladder, a la Brechin, we may just need one stand to house the regulars. It would be poor business sense and completely irresponsible stewardship to undertake major improvements until your sure that it's a sustainable option. To summarise, a really professional tidy up of what we have is all that we should be considering at present, at least until we head back up the way again and become established at a higher level. 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I realise some of the comments about Palmerston in the last few pages may not have been entirely serious and a lot are just plain wishful thinking, but realistically all we can expect, and really need, at present tbf  is a good clean up and paint job all round, by professionals if needs be. The Old Stand roof is an eyesore and really needs cleaned but beyond that I don't think it's the time to be splashing cash on major upgrades and pie-in-the-sky schemes. We're in the 3rd tier of professional football, crowds are dwindling, even if we're successful at this level who's to say they'll come back even if we go back up again, and if, heaven forbid, we drop further down the ladder, a la Brechin, we may just need one stand to house the regulars. It would be poor business sense and completely irresponsible stewardship to undertake major improvements until your sure that it's a sustainable option. To summarise, a really professional tidy up of what we have is all that we should be considering at present, at least until we head back up the way again and become established at a higher level. 

Yep, just a bit of daydreaming on my part, mainly out of boredom while we wait on more signing news for the new season.  I wasn't suggesting for a minute that the club should splash out on major redevelopments, when we clearly don't have the funds to do so.  Heaven forbid.

Having said that, we are almost a quarter of the way through the new century and if I step back and look at the old lady objectively its not a pretty sight.  I mean temporary portaloos for the terracing etc. these are just not modern facilities.  Of course, first and foremost we need a decent team on the park to help entice former fans back, but it doesn't help in attracting new fans when the ground is sadly lacking these days.

4 hours ago, Flash said:

Anyway, my point was that I don’t think you should restrict the capacity based on current levels. You never know what might happen in the future and if a bigger ground was necessary, it could be too late to do anything about it. We’re only talking about the difference between about 9,000 and 6,000.

But if we've only just reached 6,000 crowds a mere handful of times in 20 years do we really need to operate a bigger stadium?  I go to places like the Excelsior, Starks, EEP where the game's played in mostly empty stadiums and it just depresses me.  Why have the cost and hassle of maintaining/operating a larger ground in the hope that we'll need to accommodate a couple of thousand more of the hordes from Govan, Parkhead, Gorgie etc once in a blue moon?

4 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

As Flash refers to,  the dross teams we’ve fielded in recent years is the biggest problem in terms of crowds dropping and rubbish atmosphere.  Palmerston in its current form can generate a good atmosphere with just 2-3000 in it…. you just need to have a team on the field that encourages folk back.

If we somehow got to a position of challenging at the top of the Championship then crowds would undoubtedly rise (you only need to look at Arbroath last season as an example of how a towns support can be invigorated!)

Yes, agree with both you, Flash and others on here - sad to see how our crowds have dwindled through watching dross on the pitch.  Here's hoping Gibson can turn this around.

I'm sure if Queens put a competitive Championship level side on the field then we would at least match Arbroath's figures from last season - Dumfries being a substantially bigger town (almost twice the size of Arbroath according to Wiki) and doesn't have the drawback of a city like Dundee on our doorstep to lose fans to (granted like all towns we all lose "fans" to Govan/Parkhead).

If we can manage to not make a rip roaring arse of this year and instead find ourselves winning regularly and be near the top of the league, it would be interesting to see if attendances did get a boost.

Yes, agree with both you, Flash and others on here - sad to see how our crowds have dwindled through watching dross on the pitch.  Here's hoping Gibson can turn this around.
I'm sure if Queens put a competitive Championship level side on the field then we would at least match Arbroath's figures from last season - Dumfries being a substantially bigger town (almost twice the size of Arbroath according to Wiki) and doesn't have the drawback of a city like Dundee on our doorstep to lose fans to (granted like all towns we all lose "fans" to Govan/Parkhead).

If we can manage to not make a rip roaring arse of this year and instead find ourselves winning regularly and be near the top of the league, it would be interesting to see if attendances did get a boost.
They definitely will. If we're sitting 1st or 2nd in December, our attendances will be better than if we were 8th or 9th in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

So Josh Rae confirmed, what's the scoop lads? Best keeper in the league?

He’ll be the best in the league by a mile. Shocked he never got at least another Championship move

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Sounds a great signing. The spine of the team is looking decent so far.

I would have genuinely put us favourites for the league if we got him resigned, gutted he hasn’t. Think he was expecting to move down south when he announced he was leaving us

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I would have genuinely put us favourites for the league if we got him resigned, gutted he hasn’t. Think he was expecting to move down south when he announced he was leaving us

Yeah, the introductory blurb mentioned he had offers down south but had decided to stay closer to home for a season.

4 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Yeah, the introductory blurb mentioned he had offers down south but had decided to stay closer to home for a season.

We definitely got the worst deal in terms of the goalkeepers for this season