The Queen of the South thread

I quite like the mossy roof, tbh.  First things would be the signs - leaving junk lying for years gives a terrible impression (and just to shut some folk up if nothing else😄);  the toilets, ffs;  Skyline's door and all the other doors and windows that make the place look like a slum;  paint anything that doesn't move and organise some better food/drink.

4 hours ago, Doonhamer19 said:

I have a screenshot of the guy at left mid when the goal went in if that helps.

1236280195_Screenshot2022-06-21at18_47_51.thumb.png.e8bad3c27e2d284083bf21c58d13290a.png

Left Mid was (or at least should've been) deeper at that point. Looks like the guy you have circled is close to the half way line, and also looks like it's Ruari Paton.

I spent a few enjoyable days during a Covid layoff period from work a couple of years ago helping to spruce up a local club's ground by painting the fence around the pitch, woodstaining the entrance gates etc.

Now QOS are a bigger club than the local club I helped out but if every penny is a prisoner at Palmerston (like a lot of club's in the lower leagues) then I can't see anything wrong with the club letting volunteers clean up the ground. It may even give a more community feeling towards the club 

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I spent a few enjoyable days during a Covid layoff period from work a couple of years ago helping to spruce up a local club's ground by painting the fence around the pitch, woodstaining the entrance gates etc.

Now QOS are a bigger club than the local club I helped out but if every penny is a prisoner at Palmerston (like a lot of club's in the lower leagues) then I can't see anything wrong with the club letting volunteers clean up the ground. It may even give a more community feeling towards the club 

That used to happen in a fairly organised way each summer, but has tailed off.

I'm not entirely sure why.  

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Palmerston looks like a run down ground now due to no close season spruce ups...

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I don’t have any issue with volunteers helping out. However, there is only so  much they can do, and it shouldn’t be left solely to volunteers. Particularly when the Chairman has his own building company. 

If he doesn’t want his own company to do it, I am sure he has enough contacts in the area to pay somebody else to do it. The place is a tip and it is only getting worse. 

A lick of paint here and there and getting shot of weeds and the overgrown mess behind the Portland Road Terrace would be a start. Then they could think about the moss on the stand roof.  To me it seems maintenance doesn’t happen unless they are forced to do so in order to get a safety certificate. 

It is embarrassing and needs addressed as soon as possible.The longer these issues are left, the more money it will cost them to repair in the long term. 

The board should have a bit of pride about the ground. I am sure they wouldn’t allow their homes to fall into disrepair. 

What's the deal with the Old Stand? Pre-Covid I watched an interview with Hewitson where he said it would have to go soon as it wasn't safe anymore. At least that's what I took from the discussion. Is the reason they aren't clearing the moss because it will be getting pulled down in the not too distant future?

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's the deal with the Old Stand? Pre-Covid I watched an interview with Hewitson where he said it would have to go soon as it wasn't safe anymore. At least that's what I took from the discussion. Is the reason they aren't clearing the moss because it will be getting pulled down in the not too distant future?

That would be good, but as always communication isn’t their strong point. 

The old stand has had its day and really should have been pulled down decades ago. Maybe it is just the moss that is now holding it up.

When you think about the amount of wood in it, how it still gets a safety certificate is beyond me. 

The old stand has had its day and really should have been pulled down decades ago. Maybe it is just the moss that is now holding it up.
When you think about the amount of wood in it, how it still gets a safety certificate is beyond me. 

Would it be replaced with a similiar stand to the East stand? Be good to have a stand that covers the whole length of the pitch.

1 minute ago, QosLoyal said:
32 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Would it be replaced with a similiar stand to the East stand? Be good to have a stand that covers the whole length of the pitch. 

While there is a requirement for a new stand, only the board will know how far advanced plans are for this. I don’t want to rain on their parade, but I suspect it is just a thought at the moment. 

That of course then opens the Pandora’s box of redeveloping the other areas of the ground too. I mean, would you build a new main stand, but do nothing with the terraces at either end? 

Given that thorny dilemma, I think we have more chance of seeing a couple of cases of gloss paint being delivered to Palmerston in the near future (BYOB).

Bring Your Own Brush. 

28 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:
58 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I don't think you could go much further towards Terregles Street than the current main stand because of the houses. 

18 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I don't think you could go much further towards Terregles Street than the current main stand because of the houses. 

Yeah, I think that was discussed the last time, 10-15 years ago. I think there was talk of turning the pitch 90 degrees and knocking down the Arena which might still have been Tesco at the time. 

Not that it will matter, but I can’t see any major redevelopment happening anytime soon.

In the meantime, a good tidy up and paint job shouldn’t be outside our budget or immediate capabilities. 

There's always been talk of various re-developments over the years, but the big blocker no doubt has always been the funding of it.  I can't see it happening big style unless we suddenly uncover a wonderful benevolent benefactor ... so I'm not holding my breath.  [Note - I've always told my wife that if we win the Lottery, then I'd build Queens a new stadium - she's really worried about this as she knows I'm daft enough to do it. One small problem here is that ... I don't do the Lottery!]

Back on topic regarding replacement of the old (largely wooden) main stand - as @Homer Thompson has pointed out, the housing at the Terregles end would prevent installation of a new stand similar in design to the East stand.  So one option would be (if the club owns the ground behind the Portland Rd terrace ... knock down the Portland Rd terrace (which is too big anyway - although great when it is full - which is once in a blue moon now) and move the pitch North until a new stand could be  built to run the length (or almost the length) of the West side.  At the same time demolish the "surplus" South end of the East stand and maybe extend it North to the new end of the pitch.  I'd then replace the two end terraces with new smaller covered terracing at each end.  I think what we need is probably only around 4,000 seats (max) with two end terraces of around 1,000 capacity each.  So a 6,000 capacity stadium would more than suffice.  Just a pipedream though.

2 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Maybe it is just the moss that is now holding it up.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Sir David Attenborough has plans to do a "Green Planet" documentary based around the life-forms forming the ecosystems of the magnificent Palmerston main stand roof ... so we shouldn't rush into demolishing it - for all we know it could soon become a listed building!

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

There's always been talk of various re-developments over the years, but the big blocker no doubt has always been the funding of it.  I can't see it happening big style unless we suddenly uncover a wonderful benevolent benefactor ... so I'm not holding my breath.  [Note - I've always told my wife that if we win the Lottery, then I'd build Queens a new stadium - she's really worried about this as she knows I'm daft enough to do it. One small problem here is that ... I don't do the Lottery!]

Back on topic regarding replacement of the old (largely wooden) main stand - as @Homer Thompson has pointed out, the housing at the Terregles end would prevent installation of a new stand similar in design to the East stand.  So one option would be (if the club owns the ground behind the Portland Rd terrace ... knock down the Portland Rd terrace (which is too big anyway - although great when it is full - which is once in a blue moon now) and move the pitch North until a new stand could be  built to run the length (or almost the length) of the West side.  At the same time demolish the "surplus" South end of the East stand and maybe extend it North to the new end of the pitch.  I'd then replace the two end terraces with new smaller covered terracing at each end.  I think what we need is probably only around 4,000 seats (max) with two end terraces of around 1,000 capacity each.  So a 6,000 capacity stadium would more than suffice.  Just a pipedream though.

It would be cheaper to just buy the two hooses.