The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-south-boss-wullie-gibson-27243817?fbclid=IwAR0z9Qv77_YD9QHnVxC7B2J31jKFI7FeDGMvek2lRtJhwcr1Ck51wylNJKg

Good update from the gaffer. Still wants another 4/5 players in. 

Also crazy that Wullie said: “I was here last year and we had 42 trialists or something at this stage.

Total dig at AJ. Love it 😂🤣

5 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-south-boss-wullie-gibson-27243817?fbclid=IwAR0z9Qv77_YD9QHnVxC7B2J31jKFI7FeDGMvek2lRtJhwcr1Ck51wylNJKg

Good update from the gaffer. Still wants another 4/5 players in. 

Also crazy that Wullie said: “I was here last year and we had 42 trialists or something at this stage.

Yeah, good start from Gibson - hope it generates the success he deserves.

Like how the Record says ... the business has gone down well with Queens fans ... sounds like the journo has had a peek at our thread on P&B (hard bit of research that)!

Edited by Otis Blue

Confused by him saying he wants a squad of 18/19 but with all those additions we would be above that comfortably? Not complaining though

I was wondering about that as well. Excluding youth players we currently have 17 in the squad and he wants 4/5 more. He is a football manager not a mathematician though!

He named GK, ST and a midfielder as positions he'd like another option in. I assume that a winger (hopefully Fitzpatrick but probably not) and a defender would be the other 2. I think we need a leftback as I'm not sure we can go into next season with Quitongo as our only option there. I'd like Cooper to stay as he looked competent enough last season, but like Fitzpatrick he probably has other offers.
If we sign another GK, we can only assume Cowie will be out on loan; if he was good enough as backup last season he definitely would be this season. Hopefully a league 2 club would want him, but I imagine he'll go to Dalbeattie Star or another Lowland league team - being a first choice goalkeeper is more important than standard at this stage I think.

Yeah I'm looking at us with a squad of 16 the now; I reckon Cowie will be away on loan. What I took from it given he expects these additions in the next couple of weeks is that he's not going to rely on the loan market for players. The loan market has been good for us in the past but last season it was pretty disastrous IMO. Perhaps Gibson would rather have a squad full of players who are 100% focussed on QoS?

13 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Also worry Cochrane could be away if he’s talking about bringing in another midfielder

We only have 3 senior central midfielders (Cochrane, Wilson, McGrory) as well as McMahon and Johnstone, so I'm not surprised he's looking for another. Yes, Todd could fill in at CM but he was preferred at LM last season, and I think he'll continue to be first choice at LM.

Although then again, Gibson's dodgy maths might end up looking closer to the truth if this were the case.

I'm not sure I'd be too devastated if Cochrane were to leave though. McGrory and Wilson are both very able, and we would get some sort of fee for him given he is still under contract. Also, I imagine his wages will be amongst the highest in the squad. Cochrane is a good player, but never seems to have a run of games without injury, which for me stops him from reaching the next level as a footballer. I think that we would be able to replace him.

We only have 3 senior central midfielders (Cochrane, Wilson, McGrory) as well as McMahon and Johnstone, so I'm not surprised he's looking for another. Yes, Todd could fill in at CM but he was preferred at LM last season, and I think he'll continue to be first choice at LM.
Although then again, Gibson's dodgy maths might end up looking closer to the truth if this were the case.
I'm not sure I'd be too devastated if Cochrane were to leave though. McGrory and Wilson are both very able, and we would get some sort of fee for him given he is still under contract. Also, I imagine his wages will be amongst the highest in the squad. Cochrane is a good player, but never seems to have a run of games without injury, which for me stops him from reaching the next level as a footballer. I think that we would be able to replace him.

We wouldn’t receive much of a fee

42 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Quicker football is back the better. Sundays are pish. Even miss a Sunday moaning about how pish we were the Saturday

I'm resentful of the fact that there's not a World Cup on right now.  There bloody should be.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm resentful of the fact that there's not a World Cup on right now.  There bloody should be.

Very true, and what's even worse is that we haven't qualified (again) so we could even have enjoyed watching it! Real bummer.

Seen on Airdrie’s thread that Rae is training with them apparently. Do you think there would be a chance he could come back or is that done with Currie signing? Wullie did say he wanted another keeper

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Seen on Airdrie’s thread that Rae is training with them apparently. Do you think there would be a chance he could come back or is that done with Currie signing? Wullie did say he wanted another keeper

Surely what Rae had lined up must have fell through .

WG should get back with a new improved offer.

We are due a compensation.fee for Rae can we expect around £10,000

9 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Doubt though we will have two goalies on our books earning a first team player wage

Not sure but it seems to have made him look silly if he’s with airdrie. If others are unwilling to part with cash can’t see Airdrie doing it