The Queen of the South thread

Clyde (H)
Montrose (A)
Airdrie (H)
Peterhead (A)
Falkirk (A)

Not a terrible first few fixtures really - any thoughts on a points target for that? 

If we're serious about a title challenge then I'd say a minimum of 11 points from those fixtures is what we'd be really needing to get.

Any less than 9 would be a bit concerning IMO.

42 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can't @ on the app so will quote a random message. Will we still be streaming games next season do you know?

No, highly unlikely there will be any streaming. 

I haven't heard anything official yet but its pretty much guaranteed the UEFA blackout will be enforced, as it was pre-covid, so we'll only be allowed to stream outside the UK. Given the number of fans that would be it isn't really worth it. 

I think the spfl media centre, or whatever its called, is still in place for next season so possibly our games will be available on their for overseas fans. 

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If we're serious about a title challenge then I'd say a minimum of 11 points from those fixtures is what we'd be really needing to get.

OK, but need to bear in mind that three of our first five are away from home (Montrose, Peterhead and Falkirk) and won't be walk-overs.  That said, our home form has also been nothing less than shocking over the last few seasons.  These opening fixtures will tell us a lot, but as always reality starts to appear by the end of the first quarter of fixtures.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Last season Airdrie only managed five points from the first five games and I think Cove only got seven, so it can be done. I'm sure the teams at the top at the end of August were Falkirk and Queen's Park who obviously ended up finishing well below the top two, not that it mattered for the latter in the end! I can't imagine any team going on a 20+ game unbeaten run this time though, so as you say a strong start could be key with so many teams competing for the same few positions.

OK, but need to bear in mind that three of our first five are away from home (Montrose, Peterhead and Falkirk) and won't be walk-overs.  That said, our home form has also been nothing less than shocking over the last few seasons.  These opening fixtures will tell us a lot, but as always reality starts to appear by the end of the first quarter of fixtures.

I don't think there will be any walkovers certainly. But you have to be looking to take 3 points against the expected 'weaker' teams next season regardless of the location therefore I'd be hoping for 3 points away to Peterhead. On a similar note, I'd be hoping for at least a point away to our play-off rivals; Montrose and Falkirk in this instance. And of course, 3 points at home regardless of the opponent.

That's all hypothetical of course and I don't for a minute expect us to achieve it but if we do then I'd say that's the road for a Championship winning side.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think there will be any walkovers certainly. But you have to be looking to take 3 points against the expected 'weaker' teams next season regardless of the location therefore I'd be hoping for 3 points away to Peterhead. On a similar note, I'd be hoping for at least a point away to our play-off rivals; Montrose and Falkirk in this instance. And of course, 3 points at home regardless of the opponent.

That's all hypothetical of course and I don't for a minute expect us to achieve it but if we do then I'd say that's the road for a Championship winning side.

Yep, needs to happen if we're to be in with a shout.  Hopefully, our home form will improve this season.

If we could sign Fitzpatrick (hoping against hope) then I'd say we are looking good.  That said, Innes Murray would have been a good fallback option but I see that he has now left Hibs and signed up with (FC) Edinburgh (City).

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Clyde at home first game is crucial I think for getting a good start and hopefully some confidence back in a game we'd expect to win - which hasn't been the case for a while.  It's a classic for the hot-takes of win = champions and draw or defeat = doomed

That being said I'd (and the players hopefully) would be more confident of a result away at Falkirk if we're heading there with 9+ points already in the bag (certainly possible).

The alternative being a stuttering start and we could be heading there looking for our first win (also very much possible!) 

2 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Clyde at home first game is crucial I think for getting a good start and hopefully some confidence back in a game we'd expect to win - which hasn't been the case for a while.  It's a classic for the hot-takes of win = champions and draw or defeat = doomed

That being said I'd (and the players hopefully) would be more confident of a result away at Falkirk if we're heading there with 9+ points already in the bag (certainly possible).

The alternative being a stuttering start and we could be heading there looking for our first win (also very much possible!) 

Although we start to get a feel for how the league will pan out by the end of the first quarter, there's also a case that says that a lot of sides will still be finding their best shape/best player fits during the first quarter.  So I don't think that not setting the heather on fire in the first quarter is necessarily a disaster.  However, once we get into the second quarter then it starts getting serious and the real challengers need to be showing their colours and putting a run of results together.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Although we start to get a feel for how the league will pan out by the end of the first quarter, there's also a case that says that a lot of sides will still be finding their best shape/best player fits during the first quarter.  So I don't think that not setting the heather on fire in the first quarter is necessarily a disaster.  However, once we get into the second quarter then it starts getting serious and the real challengers need to be showing their colours and putting a run of results together.

Don't worry I've marked in the 9 game winning run we're going on starting mid-September 😂

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Common sense prevails. They must have read my post emoji38.png

Home to Clyde in the first game as well. About as good a fixture we could hope for. Hopefully get off to a good start.

Aye, you called it.
Games on 3 December are at the same time as winner Group A v runner-up Group B (which would have been Scotland’s group, so probably wouldn’t have been a problem anyway). No games on 26 November or 10 December. Are either or both dates set aside for the Scottish Cup or is it just to avoid clashing with some of the World Cup games?

47 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

No, highly unlikely there will be any streaming. 

I haven't heard anything official yet but its pretty much guaranteed the UEFA blackout will be enforced, as it was pre-covid, so we'll only be allowed to stream outside the UK. Given the number of fans that would be it isn't really worth it. 

I think the spfl media centre, or whatever its called, is still in place for next season so possibly our games will be available on their for overseas fans. 

Too far. Mods please.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Cove Rangers had 2.19 ppg last season which is 10.95 every 5 games. I think we can afford to start a little bit slower than that (if we were to end up going for the title). I would take 8-9 points from the first 5, including not losing to Falkirk in game 5. For me that would be a very solid start, and would likely build confidence and momentum for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

No games on 26 November or 10 December. Are either or both dates set aside for the Scottish Cup or is it just to avoid clashing with some of the World Cup games?

It might be an early round Scottish Cup game, it could also be an SPFL Trust Trophy game (the Quarter-Finals are usually early December). They almost certainly won't be blank weeks - only one Championship game a week is televised so I doubt there'll be any problems with TV companies not wanting clashes with the World Cup.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-south-boss-wullie-gibson-27243817?fbclid=IwAR0z9Qv77_YD9QHnVxC7B2J31jKFI7FeDGMvek2lRtJhwcr1Ck51wylNJKg

Good update from the gaffer. Still wants another 4/5 players in. 

Also crazy that Wullie said: “I was here last year and we had 42 trialists or something at this stage.

36 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/queen-south-boss-wullie-gibson-27243817?fbclid=IwAR0z9Qv77_YD9QHnVxC7B2J31jKFI7FeDGMvek2lRtJhwcr1Ck51wylNJKg

Also crazy that Wullie said: “I was here last year and we had 42 trialists or something at this stage.

Interesting that he wants another keeper. Would be good to see Cowie getting out on loan if that happens. 

Guest Flash
39 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Looks like he’s trying to get another wide player, a defender, a midfielder, a striker and a keeper.
Also seems to confirm Murray will be playing on the wing. If he's looking for another winger, that could also mean Fitzpatrick is away. Unless he is trying to get him to re-sign.

1 minute ago, Dougie Mills said:

Is it not a goalkeeping coach rather than another goalkeeper he wants?

Think it is both. Says he is looking for a keeper and that a goalkeeping  coach will be joining.

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Reads like both to me. Talks about the gk coach early in the article, then this is in at the end:

”If we can top up in the midfield area as well and a goalkeeper.”

Yeah you’re right, didn’t see the last paragraph underneath the adverts on my mobile!

34 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Confused by him saying he wants a squad of 18/19 but with all those additions we would be above that comfortably? Not complaining though

I was wondering about that as well. Excluding youth players we currently have 17 in the squad and he wants 4/5 more. He is a football manager not a mathematician though!

He named GK, ST and a midfielder as positions he'd like another option in. I assume that a winger (hopefully Fitzpatrick but probably not) and a defender would be the other 2. I think we need a leftback as I'm not sure we can go into next season with Quitongo as our only option there. I'd like Cooper to stay as he looked competent enough last season, but like Fitzpatrick he probably has other offers.

If we sign another GK, we can only assume Cowie will be out on loan; if he was good enough as backup last season he definitely would be this season. Hopefully a league 2 club would want him, but I imagine he'll go to Dalbeattie Star or another Lowland league team - being a first choice goalkeeper is more important than standard at this stage I think.

Edited by Doonhamer19