The Queen of the South thread

Also I’m beginning to think Wullie is planning on playing a 3 at the back formation this season. As we have 3 signed centre halfs and Broadfoot is meant to be coming. Would also explain the signing of Quintongo who could get forward more and the resigning of McKechnie, as well as todays signing of Murray to play in the ten behind the strikers. 

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ Perfect summary of Murray and Oliver.  Both frustrating, as there is some talent there.

Yeah Oliver's definitely in that boat, McGlynn's essentially described him as a second striker which is positive as we need to have someone upfront with him. Will wait and see how he performs in the navy blue though.

27 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Also I’m beginning to think Wullie is planning on playing a 3 at the back formation this season. As we have 3 signed centre halfs and Broadfoot is meant to be coming. Would also explain the signing of Quintongo who could get forward more and the resigning of McKechnie, as well as todays signing of Murray to play in the ten behind the strikers. 

At the start of last season we tried 3 at the back using Quitongo and Sam Wardrop as wing backs despite having 1 goal and one assist between them. That proved a disaster at the start and got quickly changed. If you're going to use Rico I think a back 4 would be better.

39 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I will be so so surprised if he doesn't play 442 like he ended last season. Just because we've already signed 3 CBs doesn't mean we'll play a back 3. Playing a back 4, we will need at least 4 CBs in the squad especially as Stuart Morrison is injury prone. Wullie will want to play Todd in his preferred left midfield, and will want to play him most weeks as he is captain and one of our better players. That rules out most other formations. I think he'll play 442 because even when he had Connelly who was clearly a number 10 he still kept with the same formation playing Connelly out wide.

This for me is why Connor Murray is a bit of an underwhelming signing, as I think he has been signed for the RM role in a 442. If you look at the squad depth (see below) in each position, that is where he seems to fit in. If we were to sign Fitzpatrick or get a good loan winger I would be happy with his signing as he would be a good squad player. Or if we were to sign Connelly I would also be happy as that would suggest he is going to be played as an attacking midfielder, and we would change formation. Overall, he isn't a bad player to buy, and we should definitely give him a chance at this level, but I hope he won't be our only option going into the season.

QOS squad depth so far

Edited by Doonhamer19

I will be so so surprised if he doesn't play 442 like he ended last season. Just because we've already signed 3 CBs doesn't mean we'll play a back 3. Playing a back 4, we will need at least 4 CBs in the squad especially as Stuart Morrison is injury prone. Wullie will want to play Todd in his preferred left midfield, and will want to play him most weeks as he is captain and one of our better players. That rules out most other formations. I think he'll play 442 because even when he had Connelly who was clearly a number 10 he still kept with the same formation playing Connelly out wide.
This for me is why Connor Murray is a bit of an underwhelming signing, as I think he has been signed for the RM role in a 442. If you look at the squad depth (see below) in each position, that is where he seems to fit in. If we were to sign Fitzpatrick or get a good loan winger I would be happy with his signing as he would be a good squad player. Or if we were to sign Connelly I would also be happy as that would suggest he is going to be played as an attacking midfielder, and we would change formation. Overall, he isn't a bad player to buy, and we should definitely give him a chance at this level, but I hope he won't be our only option going into the season.
1568885518_Screenshot2022-06-13at11_37_14.thumb.png.f2669b9ab6dcf5810e4ad6f1c05657a3.png

You leaving Paton out. Madness

6 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

This for me is why Connor Murray is a bit of an underwhelming signing, as I think he has been signed for the RM role in a 442. If you look at the squad depth (see below) in each position, that is where he seems to fit in. If we were to sign Fitzpatrick or get a good loan winger I would be happy with his signing as he would be a good squad player. Or if we were to sign Connelly I would also be happy as that would suggest he is going to be played as an attacking midfielder. Overall, he isn't a bad player to buy, and we should definitely give him a chance at this level, but I hope he won't be our only option going into the season.

QOS squad depth so far

Wilson starts in our best 11

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer70 said:

You leaving Paton out. Madness

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

Wilson starts in our best 11

Sorry, this wasn't best 11, just players who play in each position. I filled it out as players were signed. I completely agree Wilson and Paton deserve to start.

Sorry, this wasn't best 11, just players who play in each position. I filled it out as players were signed. I completely agree Wilson and Paton deserve to start.

Paton deserves to start? On what? Being a character?

2 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Paton deserves to start? On what? Being a character?

Well, at the moment, based on the fact he is one of 2 strikers at the club and, if you didn't want him at striker, I'd argue he was better than Connor Murray and McKechnie out wide. Obviously it could change with new players brought in, but I don't see us signing many more top class attackers as they will come with a premium price.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Good luck with him. He’s clearly got some ability, but he just never seems to put it all together to be a massively effective player. In his defence, I think he’s largely been used out wide by us, and he’s clearly not suited to that - I think he basically needs to be in behind the striker or nowhere at all.

Would agree with this. I also thought he was pretty poor in League 1 but was actually better in the Championship. He played very little last season and doubt he started more than 5 league games. Seemed to be near enough frozen out towards the end of the season and never got off the bench.

"Connor has signed a one year deal with the opportunity to earn a second year built in to it and put pen to paper when pre-season training began this morning. We are delighted to welcome him back."

Interesting detail in article online. Often it's just a one or a two year deal. More a carrot and stick approach perhaps or based on games.

31 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

"Connor has signed a one year deal with the opportunity to earn a second year built in to it and put pen to paper when pre-season training began this morning. We are delighted to welcome him back."

Interesting detail in article online. Often it's just a one or a two year deal. More a carrot and stick approach perhaps or based on games.

Gary Oliver had the same deal with us based on appearances till Covid cut the season short.

16 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I notice you guys have eased off regarding the board, have things changed ?

I obviously don't speak for everybody (and I'm sure plenty of others will disagree) but:

For me the main problem was always Allan Johnston, and we've replaced him with our previous captain, which seems to have made the club atmosphere more positive.

I would rather we had different owners but there isn't anyone that would be willing to buy or invest into the club, and while we don't have a large budget, so far I think our transfers in have been good enough for the level we are expected to be playing at. The manager has been backed reasonably and we just have to see how we fare next season.

The things which have frustrated me most recently is the physical condition of the stadium and lack of care for it (Palmerston looks run down), and the fact that it's Mr Hewitson's company that won our shirt sponsor draw (although it probably was fair, I'd have put the name back in and redrawn it).

Nothing (apart from our division) has really changed, but as there isn't any possibility of a takeover at the moment, in my opinion we just have to continue as we are - our situation is far from a catastrophe; we aren't in debt and at risk of going bust, and we look to have as decent a chance as we could expect of getting promoted next season.

Edited by Doonhamer19

12 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

I notice you guys have eased off regarding the board, have things changed ?

It's the close season, they haven't made any f**k-ups yet, they seem to be backing the new manager with signings so everything's rosy just now. I'm sure if things go tits up and we don't at least challenge for promotion they'll be getting it tight soon enough.