The Queen of the South thread

14 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Ruari Paton has been on a podcast, the link is on his Instagram. Should give it a listen.

I listened to the first minute, realised I'd been pronouncing his name wrong for a year (I didn't know it was pronounced Patton not Paiton) and decided it was all too much for me.

8 minutes ago, Doonhamer19 said:

I listened to the first minute, realised I'd been pronouncing his name wrong for a year (I didn't know it was pronounced Patton not Paiton) and decided it was all too much for me.

Paton saying he offered to pay his compensation fee himself but the club ended up doing it

6 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Paton saying he offered to pay his compensation fee himself but the club ended up doing it

That was very good of him and not surprising at all; I always thought he was extremely hard working and a great team player last season, he seemed to be one of the ones who truly cared. I'm pleased that the club didn't let him pay it - I know we're cheap, but surely not that cheap that we'd let a new signing pay his own transfer fee!

I also think that (in relation to the previous discussion on compensation for Rae, Connelly etc) this proves that compensation due at this level is extremely minimal. If a 20 year old playing semi professionally for Stranraer can afford to pay his own compensation, it can't be much of a stumbling block.

Just now, Doonhamer19 said:

That was very good of him and not surprising at all; I always thought he was extremely hard working and a great team player last season, he seemed to be one of the ones who truly cared. I'm pleased that the club didn't let him pay it - I know we're cheap, but surely not that cheap that we'd let a new signing pay his own transfer fee!

I also think that (in relation to the previous discussion on compensation for Rae, Connelly etc) this proves that compensation due at this level is extremely minimal. If a 20 year old playing semi professionally for Stranraer can afford to pay his own compensation, it can't be much of a stumbling block.

Spot on, you’re just desperate for him to kick on again because he’s such a sound guy. Think it could be a big season for him this year!

Spot on, you’re just desperate for him to kick on again because he’s such a sound guy. Think it could be a big season for him this year!

He's a likeable character that's for sure. I really hope he's given a run of games up front next seaso though. I think he's just ok out wide and feel he could offer a bit more as striker. From the rare appearances I've seen him play up there he harries the defenders and when he gets the ball his first instinct is to charge forward; love to see that with a striker. Given chances I think he could find the net regularly as well.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's a likeable character that's for sure. I really hope he's given a run of games up front next seaso though. I think he's just ok out wide and feel he could offer a bit more as striker. From the rare appearances I've seen him play up there he harries the defenders and when he gets the ball his first instinct is to charge forward; love to see that with a striker. Given chances I think he could find the net regularly as well.

Think he has the same opinion as well, seems to see himself as a striker as ether than a winger.

That goal against Morton in the Challenge Cup that he scored...such determination. I really like him and his attitude on and off the pitch.

9 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

That goal against Morton in the Challenge Cup that he scored...such determination. I really like him and his attitude on and off the pitch.

We were awful for much of last season, but you can't fault players that don't give up. That goal against Morton is the one that stands out for me as well. The determination, work rate and physicality as he scored immediately after we conceded - the kind of response we didn't see often enough last season. But it was also a quality finish, and we didn't see his quality often enough last season. Hopefully now we've dropped down a level he starts to fire on all cylinders because there is clearly a player in there.

15 hours ago, Doonhamer19 said:

We were awful for much of last season, but you can't fault players that don't give up. That goal against Morton is the one that stands out for me as well. The determination, work rate and physicality as he scored immediately after we conceded - the kind of response we didn't see often enough last season. But it was also a quality finish, and we didn't see his quality often enough last season. Hopefully now we've dropped down a level he starts to fire on all cylinders because there is clearly a player in there.

Definitely a player in there but he is better out wide just dont think he has enough of a goal threat to play up top with Reilly .

That is going to  be WG most difficult signing trying to get a target man who can hold the ball up and get us goals .

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

So the club can basically ask for what they want and the buying club can offer as low as they want. If no agreement then tribunal.

I’m guessing that’s what is happening with us and Dundee over Zak Rudden.

the slight difference with Fitzpatrick is he joined us at like 12 or 13 or spent quite a period with us before going to Norwich and then you guys

11 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

As long as it's not big Innes

Innes will be available on loan he has another year to go at Killie .

Surely WG will try and get better a similar player but who has goals in him .

Does pre season training start this week ?

Now starts the gamble of trialists 

We really have to try and sort out what Cooper East Fizpatrick and Connelly are doing then move on surprised if any are at pre season training.

Josh Rae left weeks ago must have something lined up but is the hold up the compensation fee Queens are due 

Really not bothered about cooper at all. The other 3 be great to have back.

Same tbh. I don't expect him to be back either now we've signed Quitongo. I would like to see East return but I won't be gutted if he doesn't. Connolly I accepted weeks before the end of the season was away so I'm surprised he hasn't been signed by someone yet. Fitzpatrick is the one I'm hopeful we'll keep and be pretty disappointed if he leaves.

I'd rather Fitzpatrick remained too, but it's worth remembering that he's been poor for the bulk of his time with us.

I know he'd scored a couple before he got injured, but there's not really a strong reason to assume that would have continued.  I remember a similar clamour for Cameron to return to the side at one point because he'd had a decent enough game or two before dropping out.  We know how that one developed.

I'd rather Fitzpatrick remained too, but it's worth remembering that he's been poor for the bulk of his time with us.
I know he'd scored a couple before he got injured, but there's not really a strong reason to assume that would have continued.  I remember a similar clamour for Cameron to return to the side at one point because he'd had a decent enough game or two before dropping out.  We know how that one developed.

Yeah that's fair. I think his change in form owed a lot to Gibson taking over and relieving Fitzpatrick of as many defensive duties. He was almost given a free reign out wide and it was clearly working. I hope he has the same thought process as me and thinks it may be beneficial to get a season under Gibson's management to kick on.

Probably fair about Cameron as well but I certainly wasn't one of them. I thought it was a shit signing to begin with and he never proved me wrong throughout.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fitzpatrick has clearly always had the ability, it’s just he started showing it before he was injured under Wullie. Cameron on the other hand has always been a very limited footballer. Not the greatest of comparisons to make imo.