The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Really couldn't care less about friendlies. The reality is the League Cup games are basically glorified friendlies for us anyway.

Aye, true - although in part because we are usually still farting about trying to assemble a squad by the time the L Cup group stage starts.  If we're not careful this season we might have most of the squad in place before the L Cup group stage starts ... "might" being the key word here of course.

3 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

He does have tattoos and an alice-band though so at least looks the part.

^^^ excellent post - gotta be worth a few greenies, shirley, sorry surely ...

Aye, true - although in part because we are usually still farting about trying to assemble a squad by the time the L Cup group stage starts.  If we're not careful this season we might have most of the squad in place before the L Cup group stage starts ... "might" being the key word here of course.
Aye that's true. We may well be better placed this season to actually be in with a shout of challenging for the top spot in our group.

4 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Disappointed with the lack of signings in the last week, still nowhere near enough signed and the season starts 4 weeks on Saturday.

If you're disappointed with the number of signings made so far you must have been really upset at the number made by this time in the past two seasons. I think we can just about field a starting XI just now whereas  we would have struggled to field a 5-a-side by this time during Johnston's reign. 

100% agree. Ahead of Dobbie's last season I think his pre-season was just him kicking a ball against a wall for the most part till the obligatory jobbers were signed.

If you're disappointed with the number of signings made so far you must have been really upset at the number made by this time in the past two seasons. I think we can just about field a starting XI just now whereas  we would have struggled to field a 5-a-side by this time during Johnston's reign. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

But we're not under "Johnston's reign" now. I was hoping for a squad signed for pre season training with the season now starting in 4 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

100% agree. Ahead of Dobbie's last season I think his pre-season was just him kicking a ball against a wall for the most part till the obligatory jobbers were signed.

Which is my point exactly! I would like a squad big enough at pre season training to start getting organised and fit  now (season starts in 4 weeks).

Disappointed with the lack of signings in the last week, still nowhere near enough signed and the season starts 4 weeks on Saturday.

Seriously? Mind there will be trialists etc to look at. Done well so far.

Just now, QosLoyal said:
23 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I did say disappointed over the last 7 days. I like a squad together for pre season training. 4 weeks to go.

25 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Pleased to see Gary Oliver join Falkirk. I look forward to booing him, as is the norm, over the upcoming season.

I’ve never really understood the dislike towards Oliver. We done him dirty by not renewing by using Covid as an excuse on his deal regarding appearances. I’d personally have been happy to have him as a squad player.

He's just one of those players who infuriates you when he's an opposing player. Niggly, moaning at ref etc. Sorta guy that is a bit of a cult hero when in your team.

I’ve never really understood the dislike towards Oliver. We done him dirty by not renewing by using Covid as an excuse on his deal regarding appearances. I’d personally have been happy to have him as a squad player.

48 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I did say disappointed over the last 7 days. I like a squad together for pre season training. 4 weeks to go.

If you include Wullie we have 14 1st team players just now .

Think WG will be waiting to see if  Cooper East Connelly and Fizpartrick are as expected  definitely away.

Do not expect any of the 4 players I have mentioned  to be at pre season training with us .

He will then add to the squad still plenty of quality players availble .

The transfer window will officially be open on Friday.

Hope we can add Broadfoot and Savoury but will be difficult as both players will  have other offers .

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, JessieField said:

the season starts 4 weeks on Saturday.

with the season now starting in 4 weeks.

(season starts in 4 weeks).

4 weeks to go.

Anybody know when the season starts?

2 hours ago, QosLoyal said:
2 hours ago, JessieField said:

And loan players too, who we wont get until later on. 

As well as the players we've offered deals too there will be other offers out there that players will be sitting on and targets identified should offers be rejected. 

I'd say we're in a pretty good place to be honest 

53 minutes ago, Flash said:

Anybody know when the season starts?

Not sure. I think it's somewhere between 3 and 5 weeks. 

2 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Pleased to see Gary Oliver join Falkirk. 

Yep, wouldn't see that as a stellar signing for Falkirk, although he'll no doubt be decent at L1 level.  Tricky but frustrating wee player that never seems to carry the goal threat that you would think he should.

2 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Pleased to see Gary Oliver join Falkirk. I look forward to booing him, as is the norm, over the upcoming season.

I see the Bairns have also signed Stephen McGinn from Kilmarnock and Sean Mackie from Hibs...