The Queen of the South thread

Hope Dave does well with you. He always was behind someone until his injury, so too often used at RB, where he is NOT suited. Should be a good CB for you in League One, and with play might well develop to Championship quality.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

In other news, a couple of good managerial appointments for us I'd say. I think Ian Murray is an overrated manager but he's clearly done a good job at Airdrie. Him leaving will surely leave them in a weaker place. McPake being named as the new Dunfermline manager is also good news. I think he's a terrible manager so with any luck he'll make an arse of it at the Pars. Two playoff/title competitors hopefully in a weaker position just now than we'd have expected.

^^^ This.

Was thinking along the same lines ...

Dunfermline - new manager - McPake was either loathed or adored by the Dees on here.  Stressful times at EEP which could be good for QOS

Airdrie - Murray departing and looks like he'll take a couple of good players with him from Airdrie to Kirkcaldy.  Airdrie will need to find a replacement - could be Kevin Thomson from Kelty perhaps?  Apart from weakening Airdrie, that would also maybe weaken Kelty too, not sure.  Again, could be good for QOS.

Kelty - lots of rumours that they'll lose their manager soon - depends if it happens, but would cause some disruption even if temporary.

Falkirk - serious contenders obviously, but yet another new management team incoming.  I like McGlynn's football but sometimes managers just don't fit well at certain clubs and the politics can be unhelpful.  Could be good for the Bairns but could equally take some time to sort itself out.

QOS - well of course, lets not forget that we also have a management change that could either work or not work!

Tough league to call this I think!

Aye, this looks a decent signing - hope we see the same Gav as first time around - think he's struggled a bit since leaving us (injuries a part of that?).
I'm hoping WG is planning on going with 2 up front. The last time I saw Reilly play was against us and he was up top by himself (no idea if it was intentional or his partner was just nowhere to be seen) but he struggled badly. I don't think he's cut out for that role.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
22 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:
Aye, this looks a decent signing - hope we see the same Gav as first time around - think he's struggled a bit since leaving us (injuries a part of that?).

I'm hoping WG is planning on going with 2 up front. The last time I saw Reilly play was against us and he was up top by himself (no idea if it was intentional or his partner was just nowhere to be seen) but he struggled badly. I don't think he's cut out for that role.

Aye, makes sense.

So is that a centre back pairing of Paul McKay and Dave McKay then?

Decent strategy that ... can just imagine the usual shouts of encouragement from the Queens faithful along the lines of ... "that's shite McKay" ... and the players looking at each other with genuinely plausible deniability.  I like it!

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pleased about Reilly.

I don't think he's been the player he was with us for a while.

I loved him here though and would really like to see him rekindle things, with and for us.

This.

I don't expect we'll be seeing the same Reilly as we saw during his last spell, injuries and a lack of a good run of games certainly hampered his career.  I wouldn't have taken him last year in the Championship, but he did show some signs of getting his mojo back at Morton so I'm hoping that he'll be a success in League One.

Good to see that we are offering 2 year deals too.

Am I right in saying that we brought Paton in from L2 last year (Stranraer) and asked him to make the big jump up to Championship level?  Equally, Gavin was reasonably decent with Morton at Championship level.  So perhaps these guys will be more likely to shine a level down at L1 - fingers crossed.  As others have said if we could add a big (stature) striker to occupy centre backs then that would help Paton/Reilly too.

8 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Paton and Reilly signed so 2 smaller strikers. Imagine WG will sign a big man for upfront also. Hopefully we will play players in their strongest positions this season. 

Announce Big Innes 😉

Guest Flash
48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Pleased about Reilly.

I don't think he's been the player he was with us for a while.

I loved him here though and would really like to see him rekindle things, with and for us.

Aye, pretty much this.
Whatever version of Reilly we get, it’ll be better than Cameron.
Eta as soon as I posted, I just knew Cameron would be rumoured. :lol:

Edited by Flash

Seen someone on twitter saying we are after Cammy Ballantyne who has just left Montrose, would have imagined he’d receive better offers than us.
Would be a great signing