The Queen of the South thread

One of the major problems we has last season and the reason we got relegated was the number of late goals we conceded. (18 in the last quarter). This was either due to poor fitness or lack of experience in closing games off. Certainly SD would give us the experience and professionalism that was lacking last season but unfortunately at the cost of fitness, but if we used him wisely for the last 10-15 mins it may just work. However i may well just be deluded.

On 21/05/2022 at 09:39, Otis Blue said:

Unfortunately, I had the "pleasure" of witnessing a Derek Whiteford inspired 1-7 mauling by Airdrie at Palmerston in prehistoric (Jurassic I think) times ... plus our home record in recent times has been nothing short of appalling (Flash can give you the details here) so don't despair!

Soares-Junior has indeed left the building. The guy tried hard, ran around a lot but didn't really know where the goals were, which is a bit of a handicap for an aspiring striker.

Could be a close league next season and expect Airdrie/Queens to be at a similar level. Cheers.

That was my first Queens game, or at least the first I have any proper recollection of. It set my up nicely for the next ~50 years

12 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I agree with you here MT. I always thought SD came across as a really nice guy, one of the lads etc.,  but something tells me that he maybe isn't hard/ruthless enough to survive in the manager's role. I could be wrong though as obviously I don't know the guy well enough ...

I'm also unconvinced about his leadership to be honest.  As captain, he used to sometimes show frustration with lesser mortals.  His main attribute in that regard was probably to lead by example.  He was never really a tub thumper though.  

There are exceptions of course, but it's often the case that the most gifted players don't make great coaches because they've never needed to devote as much thought to the game as others.   

I'm quite possibly havering and he'd be magnificent of course.  I'm not convinced he'll make a manager though.

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm also unconvinced about his leadership to be honest.  As captain, he used to sometimes show frustration with lesser mortals.  His main attribute in that regard was probably to lead by example.  He was never really a tub thumper though.  

There are exceptions of course, but it's often the case that the most gifted players don't make great coaches because they've never needed to devote as much thought to the game as others.   

I'm quite possibly havering and he'd be magnificent of course.  I'm not convinced he'll make a manager though.

His under 18 team he’s managing are meant to play really good football and have been in 3 cup finals this year. Granted, don’t know the squad he has in comparison to the league, but think it’s a bit harsh to be unconvinced if he could make a manager yet. He’s doing all the right things to be ready when that time comes.

5 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

His under 18 team he’s managing are meant to play really good football and have been in 3 cup finals this year. Granted, don’t know the squad he has in comparison to the league, but think it’s a bit harsh to be unconvinced if he could make a manager yet. He’s doing all the right things to be ready when that time comes.

Being unconvinced is harsh?

Wouldn't being convinced instead be a bit premature?

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Good to hear, and I hope you're right.

I think for most Queens fans its a case of we love the guy so much we'd just hate to see him fail.  Hope my worry is misplaced.

4 hours ago, calcutta said:

That was my first Queens game, or at least the first I have any proper recollection of. It set my up nicely for the next ~50 years

I feel your pain. My recollection is that it was 1-1 midway through the first half and then we found ourselves 1-5 down by half time. Basically every shot they hit found the net, and we managed to limit the damage to another 2 during the second half. The very definition of a drubbing. Some scars just never heal!

Hats off to you for sticking with Queens after that introduction.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Being unconvinced is harsh?

Wouldn't being convinced instead be a bit premature?

I never said I was convinced, but I’m not ruling him out becoming a manager like you inferred. I do think the way he is as a captain shouldn’t reflect his managerial abilities, plenty of previous players you could use as an example for this. 

12 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

I never said I was convinced, but I’m not ruling him out becoming a manager like you inferred. I do think the way he is as a captain shouldn’t reflect his managerial abilities, plenty of previous players you could use as an example for this. 

I made a point of not ruling him out, but said I had doubts.

That's all.

On 19/05/2022 at 21:01, JessieField said:

I think WG is about to find out how difficult it is to build a squad from more or less scratch, never mind making it a competitive one. Only 7 weeks to go till the new season.

If we assume that Connelly, Cooper, East and Fitzpatrick aren't going to be with us beyond next week, I'd say we would be needing to sign a goalkeeper, four or five defenders, two or three midfielders and at least 3 forwards to have a sustainable squad for the first half of the season.  It's a big ask for a novice manager to bring in 10-12 new players and have the team ready to hit the ground running so good luck to him.  Hopefully next season we'll see some earlier activity when it comes to extending or offering contracts to our better players.

29 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

If we assume that Connelly, Cooper, East and Fitzpatrick aren't going to be with us beyond next week, I'd say we would be needing to sign a goalkeeper, four or five defenders, two or three midfielders and at least 3 forwards to have a sustainable squad for the first half of the season.  It's a big ask for a novice manager to bring in 10-12 new players and have the team ready to hit the ground running so good luck to him.  Hopefully next season we'll see some earlier activity when it comes to extending or offering contracts to our better players.

Agree with that. It is not quite the rebuild as we have managed to keep 5 or 6 good players. I would have thought WG would have these guys a deadline to sign up. Not quite the rebuild AJ managed to land us with every year. I just want a new signing so we can start to look forward. 

It is a big ask for a novice manager, but he has Grant Murray to assist him in the process. Murray has previous experience of having to build a squad over 2 or 3 summers when Raith manager. Hopefully, between them, they can spot & sign some decent players. It would be interesting to know Rovers fans thoughts on the quality of Murrays signings when he was in charge there

12 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

It is a big ask for a novice manager, but he has Grant Murray to assist him in the process. Murray has previous experience of having to build a squad over 2 or 3 summers when Raith manager. Hopefully, between them, they can spot & sign some decent players. It would be interesting to know Rovers fans thoughts on the quality of Murrays signings when he was in charge there

The only ones I can think of are Ryan Connelly who Murray signed and then came to us after one season at Raith. John Baird. Joe Cardle and Watson the CB. I seem to remember he signed a few on loan from Hearts and Hibs in his time there. And Barry Mckay I think? On loan from Rangers. Granted it’ll be more informative hearing from a Raith supporter. 

Was speaking to someone who was saying Wullie had 5 targets and lost out on 4 already . So made we wonder what we have to do to get players here is it purely money stopping or the  league or a mixture of both . 
i really like Wullie and had brought a breath of fresh air to the club and also thing he will bring a new approach to the club which I like . 
on another note what is it with queens fans wanting to sign ex players .

Guest Flash

Draw for the League Cup tomorrow. Not split into regions this time and seeded into 5 pots, with a team from each pot going into one of the five groups. 
Queens are in pot 3. Could potentially get Ross County, ICT, Forfar and Buckie. Details of the draw in the link below.

The draw will be shown live by Premier Sports via their FreeSports channel. FreeSports is available on Freeview HD channel 65, Sky HD channel 422, Virgin HD 553, TalkTalk 64, BT Vision channel 64 and is also available via Samsung TV Player and on the FreeSports Player — www.freesportsplayer.tv

League Cup draw

That's far from ideal, if true. Would be curious to hear names, in order to see what we are aiming at as much as anything.

Was speaking to someone who was saying Wullie had 5 targets and lost out on 4 already . So made we wonder what we have to do to get players here is it purely money stopping or the  league or a mixture of both . 
i really like Wullie and had brought a breath of fresh air to the club and also thing he will bring a new approach to the club which I like . 
on another note what is it with queens fans wanting to sign ex players .

Draw for the League Cup tomorrow. Not split into regions this time and seeded into 5 pots, with a team from each pot going into one of the five groups. 
Queens are in pot 3. Could potentially get Ross County, ICT, Forfar and Buckie. Details of the draw in the link below.
The draw will be shown live by Premier Sports via their FreeSports channel. FreeSports is available on Freeview HD channel 65, Sky HD channel 422, Virgin HD 553, TalkTalk 64, BT Vision channel 64 and is also available via Samsung TV Player and on the FreeSports Player — www.freesportsplayer.tv
League Cup draw

Removing regionalisation isn't great. Imagine drawing Ross County, ICT, Forfar and Buckie. Would be hellish for travelling and little to no away support.

Always see these as glorified friendlies anyway so hopefully the away games are close by for financial reasons.

In other news, a couple of good managerial appointments for us I'd say. I think Ian Murray is an overrated manager but he's clearly done a good job at Airdrie. Him leaving will surely leave them in a weaker place. McPake being named as the new Dunfermline manager is also good news. I think he's a terrible manager so with any luck he'll make an arse of it at the Pars. Two playoff/title competitors hopefully in a weaker position just now than we'd have expected.