The Queen of the South thread

I'd also like East to re-sign with a view to playing a centre-back role.  It's difficult to judge whether or not he would be a decent central strike option due to the relatively few games he's played for us as a No.9.  AJ for some unknown reason seemed to see him primarily as a winger, despite having other wing options available at the time, where he was bang average, and then even more bizarrely Cameron would probably still have been picked as main striker if we had Harry Kane on the books when East could probably have done a better job. 

East certainly carries a goal threat at set pieces which makes me think he could do a job up front but I  don't think he's the sort of player who's going to get into double goal figures over a season.  If played up front I see him more as a Sean O'Connor type who is physical, can win the ball and provide assists.  I certainly don't see him as a first choice left-back.  Left side of a back three maybe at a push, but never on the extreme left of a back four/five.

Edited by Slipmat

44 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I'd also like East to re-sign with a view to playing a centre-back role.  It's difficult to judge whether or not he would be a decent central strike option due to the relatively few games he's played for us as a No.9.  AJ for some unknown reason seemed to see him primarily as a winger, despite having other wing options available at the time, where he was bang average, and then even more bizarrely Cameron would probably still have been picked as main striker if we had Harry Kane on the books when East could probably have done a better job. 

East certainly carries a goal threat at set pieces which makes me think he could do a job up front but I  don't think he's the sort of player who's going to get into double goal figures over a season.  If played up front I see him more as a Sean O'Connor type who is physical, can win the ball and provide assists.  I certainly don't see him as a first choice left-back.  Left side of a back three maybe at a push, but never on the extreme left of a back four/five.

East is not a centre back he is not aggressive enough or good in the air he was our weak link in defence .

Take the Cup Final for the first 2 goals he completely lost his man free header both goals .

It he signs again good squad player to have . 

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

A very decent post...

16 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I saw the posts that you guys have offered Fitzpatrick a new contract- apparently we have offered him a contract as well.

Though no idea who he will sign for and there maybe other clubs looking at him too

He won't be coming back to Queens then - we simply can't match Thistle's budget or the prospect of playing at a higher level.

Shame though, as I think there is a player in there when played in a team/style that suits him.  He can be frustrating though, because otherwise he just drifts out of the action and looks lost.  Gibson was starting to get the best out of him and Fitzpatrick was beginning to look interested, adding goals, and you could see his pace and talent and then he did his hamstring - arguably we might have made the playoff if he'd been fit for the final few games.

I saw the posts that you guys have offered Fitzpatrick a new contract- apparently we have offered him a contract as well.
Though no idea who he will sign for and there maybe other clubs looking at him too
He won't be coming back to Queens then - we simply can't match Thistle's budget or the prospect of playing at a higher level.
Shame though, as I think there is a player in there when played in a team/style that suits him.  He can be frustrating though, because otherwise he just drifts out of the action and looks lost.  Gibson was starting to get the best out of him and Fitzpatrick was beginning to look interested, adding goals, and you could see his pace and talent and then he did his hamstring - arguably we might have made the playoff if he'd been fit for the final few games.

Pretty much this. I want him to stay purely down to the fact that Gibson was getting the best out of him. Before Gibson took charge Fitzpatrick was a completely meh player for us with glimpses of his potential. When we re-signed him last season I was completely underwhelmed which says it all really.

I reckon he'd be better staying on with us. If he has a brilliant season with us he'd probably be on for a bigger move but you couldn't blame him for going back to Thistle. If he stays I'll be happy but if he goes I certainly won't be crushed.

On 14/05/2022 at 11:40, sidofthesouth said:

Ex Queens man Owen Moxon looked like the best player on the pitch last night.

On 14/05/2022 at 12:02, the philosopher said:

Yes we're resigned to losing him.

Carlisle and Hartlepool both rumoured to be showing interest in him.

Moxon has signed a 2 year deal with Carlisle United.

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/2022/may/breaking-midfielder-agrees-two-year-deal/

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I’m not sure - I mean, the above is correct, but I would imagine that, particularly in League One, Queens can offer him a start every week which we maybe won’t be offering him and which he’s never really had in his career yet. That could be very appealing.

That said, we’ll offer him more money, a higher league and, as he’s from Clydebank, a far easier commute so it depends what he’s after really. 

Good on him. I did like him as a player but we don't really have the luxury of affording young boys time to develop. Not surprised he's got a decent move up though.

I’m not sure - I mean, the above is correct, but I would imagine that, particularly in League One, Queens can offer him a start every week which we maybe won’t be offering him and which he’s never really had in his career yet. That could be very appealing.
That said, we’ll offer him more money, a higher league and, as he’s from Clydebank, a far easier commute so it depends what he’s after really. 
The first two are correct but we train in Glasgow as well so I don't imagine that will factor in to it.

43 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Therein lies his answer, and you can't blame the lad.

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
44 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The first two are correct but we train in Glasgow as well so I don't imagine that will factor in to it.

Do we not train at Hamilton these days ... not sure.

I suppose playing with Partick 50% of his games will be reasonably close to home for him, whereas playing for Queens most games involve travel both home and away. So it won't just come down to wages when players consider offers from Queens - there'll be a personal time factor as well.

10 hours ago, third lanark said:

Not sure what age he is but think he could make a real impact in league 1 and really kick start his career rather than fizzling out at PT. 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good on him. I did like him as a player but we don't really have the luxury of affording young boys time to develop. Not surprised he's got a decent move up though.

Moxon is now 24 and more than suitable for SPFL league 2. Under Simpson should do well at Carlisle in English league2.

For the future because of our location perhaps there should be greater cooperation/links between our Border teams creating pathways for young players.In recent years Annan have successfully recruited from Dalbeattie ie.Muir,Goss,Anderson etc. and vice a versa Ex.Annan player Currie is top goalscorers with them this year.

Moxon is now 24 and more than suitable for SPFL league 2. Under Simpson should do well at Carlisle in English league2.
For the future because of our location perhaps there should be greater cooperation/links between our Border teams creating pathways for young players.In recent years Annan have successfully recruited from Dalbeattie ie.Muir,Goss,Anderson etc. and vice a versa Ex.Annan player Currie is top goalscorers with them this year.

I used to laugh that Annan were QoS reserves recently but it should be like that. In an ideal world we'd loan you our young boys to give them game time (much rather that than them going to Dalbeattie). But as I say, we don't have the luxury of doing that for a couple of years sadly.