The Queen of the South thread

12 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

O'Connor released by Motherwell I think him and McKay would be a good pairing but imagine he will get championship offers

He looked capable when I watched him this season. We seemingly love an ex-Motherwell player due to our assistant Gordon Young being a Well boy through and through and ex Caretaker Manager. The strategy hasn't been worked out for us so far.

Still some speculation that we're on for Considine but can't really see that coming off.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

10 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

O'Connor released by Motherwell I think him and McKay would be a good pairing but imagine he will get championship offers

Him and McKay would be great for League 1. I think had McKay stayed fit we'd have had a good chance of staying up. Hopefully O'Connor is overlooked by championship clubs and we can get him.

On 14/05/2022 at 21:26, Manwithnoball said:

What kind of players is everyone hoping WG signs.

O'Connor and Reilly are my top two, but don't see us getting either.

We'll be doing seriously well to get out of this division at the first time of asking. obviously not assembled a squad yet but roughly guessing how many teams from that list could we expect to beat. Literally two. 

Eh?

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The poor stuff we've watched in recent seasons is obviously a factor in declining gates.  All I'm saying is that it appears not to be the only one.

No doubt true, but my OP was more about the (questionable) value that "village" based clubs bring to the leagues.

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

The farcical nature of the play-offs has reared it's ugly head again as a team that finished 21 points behind the second placed club gets promoted.

Yeah, read that earlier today.  Something not right about finishing 21 points behind in a league structure and being rewarded with promotion.  Still think its a better outcome for QOS next season though (to lose moneybags QP from the league).

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably better that QP went up ahead of Airdrie really. I mean QP are filled with complete jobbers but they have the money to improve. I think Airdrie will be less likely to do that. It'll certainly be a tricky division next season and I'll be delighted with a play-off spot.

^^^ Agreed.  QP would have improved next season, regardless of the division they were in.  Easier to compete with Airdrie ... I think.

12 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Still some speculation that we're on for Considine but can't really see that coming off.

A swansong at Cove would surely be attractive to Considine, at least for the obvious geographical aspects minimising travel etc. No?

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Eh?

Hindsight but:

Falkirk , Dunfermline main title challengers. 

Airdrie, always tricky opposition, won't be far off the pace.

Montrose; didn't we come a cropper to them in a cup game a few years back? Finished top 3.

Alloa, old bogie team.

Kelty Hearts, unknowns 

That leaves Edinburgh City, Clyde and Peterhead. 

Hindsight but:
Falkirk , Dunfermline main title challengers. 
Airdrie, always tricky opposition, won't be far off the pace.
Montrose; didn't we come a cropper to them in a cup game a few years back? Finished top 3.
Alloa, old bogie team.
Kelty Hearts, unknowns 
That leaves Edinburgh City, Clyde and Peterhead. 

It's early days of course but at this point I'd have Falkirk slight favourites as they have a competent manager in place; though I'm not convinced that's the issue there so it may not bring instant success. Dunfermline will depend on whether or not they keep Hughes. Keeping him will be a massive boost to everyone else. From there it's between the rest to fight for 3rd. Kelty will have a very good budget but as I said elsewhere the squad they have the now is very meh, so it'll depend who they bring in. We'll need to see if Airdrie retain their best players. We of course need to see who we bring in but I'm expecting us to be right in the mix for a playoff spot.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

O'Connor has been released from Motherwell WG must try and get him he was easily our best loan signing.

Get him Moxon and Reilly that should be WG 3 top targets.

We have no chance of Moxon. He's been offered double the wages at Hartlepool than we can offer. And that's just one club that's after him. 

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

O'Connor has been released from Motherwell WG must try and get him he was easily our best loan signing.

Get him Moxon and Reilly that should be WG 3 top targets.

Can we only sign ex players 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

With a ex player a signing is not such a gamble.

Sorry I must be thick ,but signing any player is a gamble and there's loads of players looking for a new team so hopefully wg will be looking at them instead of ex player's 

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

With a ex player a signing is not such a gamble.

Really?  Would you sign, say, Mark Durnan, who was good for us 8 years ago but has been a total binfire wherever he's been since?