The Queen of the South thread

45 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

I take it we have our poor pitch for another season .

Andy Murdoch ex Queens now at Ayr saying Palmerston is the worse pitch he has ever played on.

Really good club horrendous pitch .

Wonder how many other players think that.

I suppose every penny we have must go to the 1st team budget next season 

The pitch is an absolute disgrace despite it passing all the relevant pre season tests each year. 

42 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

The pitch is an absolute disgrace despite it passing all the relevant pre season tests each year. 

When I was at the Partick game a month ago someone said to me that the ball seemed to bounce nearly twice as high as it would on a grass pitch.  The worn patches were also looking extremely threadbare, especially in the goalmouth.  I'm not sure what "tests" the pitch has to pass, but the bar must be set really low because it is an embarrassment and has been for a while.

Mind you, the whole stadium has that feel of having been under attack by a combination of Putin and Monty Don - the latter using it as experiment to introduce new weeds into the UK.

47 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

1 minute ago, Slipmat said:

When I was at the Partick game a month ago someone said to me that the ball seemed to bounce nearly twice as high as it would on a grass pitch.  The worn patches were also looking extremely threadbare, especially in the goalmouth.  I'm not sure what "tests" the pitch has to pass, but the bar must be set really low because it is an embarrassment and has been for a while.

Mind you, the whole stadium has that feel of having been under attack by a combination of Putin and Monty Don - the latter using it as experiment to introduce new weeds into the UK.

The pitch tests must be easy to pass almost can't fail .

The stadium really needs a tidy up weeds out and several areas need painted .

Hopefully we can organise fans I would be happy to help  to go in and give it a tidy up.

14 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

That Division next season looks absolutely brutal guys. Going to be a tough one to get out of.  I don’t envy you right now but best of luck next season. 

Yep. The last season we had down there we were arguably the largest fish in the pond (relatively) and we absolutely scooshed it winning the league by March . This is going to be a whole lot different ...

Yep. The last season we had down there we were arguably the largest fish in the pond (relatively) and we absolutely scooshed it winning the league by March . This is going to be a whole lot different ...
Daft as it sounds I'm quite happy it's going to be competitive this time. The last time was a rare treat seeing us scoosh the division as you say, but I found it pretty boring overall if I'm honest. I know I'll be in a very tiny minority with that view but rocking up to a game thinking "I wonder how many we'll win by" rather than "I wonder if we can sneak a win today" just isn't for me. If it was I'd be a gloryhunter and tag on to one of the bigot sisters like so many do. Winning the division next season will actually be an accomplishment given the budgets and sizes of clubs we'll be sharing it with.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Andy Murdoch ex Queens now at Ayr saying Palmerston is the worse pitch he has ever played on.

I was thinking that would be the idea behind not replacing it this summer. But what happens next? Best case is the extra spending on players means we get promoted. But then there’s less available to spend on a squad trying to stay in the Championship. Is the thinking that more money will be needed to get out of League 1 than will be needed to stay in the Championship? But then, what happens if we stay down for more than one season? The L1 budget will be reduced in the second season.
If the choice is between spending on the pitch or the squad, it is always going to be a problem.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
23 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Daft as it sounds I'm quite happy it's going to be competitive this time. The last time was a rare treat seeing us scoosh the division as you say, but I found it pretty boring overall if I'm honest. I know I'll be in a very tiny minority with that view but rocking up to a game thinking "I wonder how many we'll win by" rather than "I wonder if we can sneak a win today" just isn't for me. If it was I'd be a gloryhunter and tag on to one of the bigot sisters like so many do. Winning the division next season will actually be an accomplishment given the budgets and sizes of clubs we'll be sharing it with.

Totally get your view there. I think it was just such a novelty for us to have a side that nearly always played free flowing football and scored bucket loads. Will be a few trips round the sun before we see that again.

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen it watered before the game or during half time which is a must for both grass and plastic pitches. 

The club put aside £20,000 each year for the pitch in the accounts so I’m guessing there’s £140,000 sitting towards a new 4G. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
28 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

100% this.  I was actually going to post something very similar.  

Last time didn't look like it would be quite as straightforward at this stage, as we had Ayr for company who actually started as slight favourites.  

As it transpired though, the side we had was much too strong for the division.  I enjoyed the Challenge Cup win that season and there were some memorable league games - 5-1 at home to Arbroath after falling behind and being reduced to ten men stands out.

However, it absolutely did get boring.  People were greeting goals by remaining in their seats and applauding.  The routine, inevitable element of winning, robbed it of meaning.  

If we achieve anything next season - which is a very big if - it'll feel earned.  How people can rock up to Ibrox and Parkhead every other week to watch wild mismatches, I've no idea.  It's not my idea of fun.

Guest Flash
9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

100% this.  I was actually going to post something very similar.  

Last time didn't look like it would be quite as straightforward at this stage, as we had Ayr for company who actually started as slight favourites.  

As it transpired though, the side we had was much too strong for the division.  I enjoyed the Challenge Cup win that season and there were some memorable league games - 5-1 at home to Arbroath after falling behind and being reduced to ten men stands out.

However, it absolutely did get boring.  People were greeting goals by remaining in their seats and applauding.  The routine, inevitable element of winning, robbed it of meaning.  

If we achieve anything next season - which is a very big if - it'll feel earned.  How people can rock up to Ibrox and Parkhead every other week to watch wild mismatches, I've no idea.  It's not my idea of fun.

I know what you mean but I enjoyed it because we played some good attacking football and won games. It was a complete contrast to the season before - terrible games and getting beat most weeks. We also had plenty of seasons before at that level where we didn’t compete.  It was just nice to support a team playing good football that nearly always won. I think when you’ve had many years of the opposite, you’re allowed to enjoy it for one season.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

I'd rip it up and start again with grass...

22 minutes ago, Flash said:

I know what you mean but I enjoyed it because we played some good attacking football and won games. It was a complete contrast to the season before - terrible games and getting beat most weeks. We also had plenty of seasons before at that level where we didn’t compete.  It was just nice to support a team playing good football that nearly always won. I think when you’ve had many years of the opposite, you’re allowed to enjoy it for one season.

^^^^^ Very much this.

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aye, but it was very much earned, and for us it felt unique. So I wouldn't knock it, I loved it.

The masses that rock up to Ibrox and Parkhead do so for their own strange reasons.

2 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

The club put aside £20,000 each year for the pitch in the accounts so I’m guessing there’s £140,000 sitting towards a new 4G. 

A booking keeping charge to the P&L a/c is not quite the same as setting the same amount aside in cash for that purpose.

It may well have been though,just saying ,without seeing the a/c's.

We're we? Jeez I can't remember that, I just remember it feeling like a change occurring at the club and not in a good way. Horsed in the playoff by Airdrie, relegated, Brian Reid away, and Mark Roberts put in charge and signing his mates. I'm sure Queens gave us a couple of doings too.

Anyway, the focus will surely be on the big Falkirk-Dunfermline rivalry in L1 next season which will hopefully see Queens fly under the radar and finish above both, consigning them to another season in L1. Despite our rancid record in Dumfries and the poisonous rivalry based in pure hatred between the two sets of fans, I hope to see Queens back sooner rather than later (assuming we don't pass you on the way down ofc).

1 hour ago, the philosopher said:

A booking keeping charge to the P&L a/c is not quite the same as setting the same amount aside in cash for that purpose.

It may well have been though,just saying ,without seeing the a/c's.

It’s in the accounts each year under pitch renewal provision - £20,000 

Edited by the_palmy_pie

3 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

I'd rip it up and start again with grass...

My first game watching Queens in the 70s the pitch was the envy of many many clubs. I watched Queens play Rotherham on under lights Tommy Docherty ( manager) said it was one the finest.

Dom Thomas signed for Queens Park on pre contract. Shows that they are willing to spend money again although they might already be in the championship. If they stay in L1 them Falkirk, Kelty and Dunfermline will be paying good money. Here's hoping WG gets the players he wants early as we could be outbid by clubs with higher budgets.

Edited by Manwithnoball

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Dom Thomas signed for Queens Park on pre contract. Shows that they are willing to spend money again although they might already be in the championship. If they stay in L1 them Falkirk, Kelty and Dunfermline will be paying food money. Here's hoping WG gets the players he wants early as we could be outbid by clubs with higher budgets.

Food money, is that like Luncheon Vouchers? We'll really be up against it then as we don't even provide a pre-match meal now. Vouchers for McDonald's sounds like something our players would like. 

27 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Food money, is that like Luncheon Vouchers? We'll really be up against it then as we don't even provide a pre-match meal now. Vouchers for McDonald's sounds like something our players would like. 

Fair play fixed now 🤣