The Queen of the South thread

Agree It's a very much head and heart decision and which ever way it's a gamble but I think Gibson would be good for assembling a young squad similar to what we have but not convinced him being a rookie young manager with no experience attract the type of core players we need imo, ex SPL (ideally) championship level. Could it put clubs off loaning players out having a rookie coach? 

I think he'd be far better for us as a player than risking him as a manager. Wouldn't be disappointed if he did get it but would fans have the patience to potentially wait a few years while he gets a hang of the ropes ? 

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

Agree It's a very much head and heart decision and which ever way it's a gamble but I think Gibson would be good for assembling a young squad similar to what we have but not convinced him being a rookie young manager with no experience attract the type of core players we need imo, ex SPL (ideally) championship level. Could it put clubs off loaning players out having a rookie coach? 

I think he'd be far better for us as a player than risking him as a manager. Wouldn't be disappointed if he did get it but would fans have the patience to potentially wait a few years while he gets a hang of the ropes ? 

Alternatively, there may be a lot of older, experienced pros who are fed up of listening to the same run of the mill managers who have been doing the rounds at various clubs over the last twenty years. Perhaps a new, enthusiastic manager with a true passion for his club would make an appealing change?

On your second point, not everyone will have the patience to wait for a couple of years but I would if I thought the style and intent of the football was worth the wait. If he resorts to signing another big guy to replace Cameron and take the long-ball-hope-for-knock-downs approach, then my patience would last the first half of the first game of the new season.

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I would think there’s zero chance of that. Gibson wants the manager’s job. 

Agree, I'm sure that WG does want the job.  I guess the issue is whether he continued to play one more season.  For me, he can't do both.  To be a player/manager he'd need to be watching what the others in our team are doing/performing, watching for changes in the opponents formations etc and making mid-game adjustments to suit ... as well as trying to focus enough on his own team role, positioning etc.  I just think its too much to ask of a player - so if he does also play then there needs to be someone experienced on the touchline to provide that support - not sure what he'd be called ... assistant or co-manager or something else?  That may not be what WG wants, but this is where the BOD needs to decide what is best for the club.

For me its take the gamble with WG as manager only, or WG as player whilst he builds up his coaching experience in parallel under a more experienced manager in an assistant role so that he eventually gets a shot at the gig further down the line.

10 minutes ago, JessieField said:

What's all this "must sign Muirhead" guff? 

Think its just end of season speculation ... folk surmising that Muirhead's contract may be up at Ayr, whilst Ayr will be looking to improve their squad for the Championship level, and at the same time thinking that we could do with a blood and thunder (is that really Muirhead?) centre back to command the back line and avoid leaking comedy goals.  So, a case of putting two and two together to make five.

Guest Flash

Looking only at results, the decision of whether or not to appoint Gibson is a difficult one.
When he took over, Queens were on 19 points after 24 games. They needed 38 to be safe (assuming they beat Ayr twice). So, they needed 19 from 12, which meant doubling the rate of points per game. A big ask with the same players.
The other way to look at it is they needed to beat Ayr twice and Dunfermline away plus take 10 points from the other 9 games. As they got 7 points from 3 of the other 9, the failure came from taking no points from 6 games plus only drawing with Ayr at home.
The other arguments are - Gibson only won 2 games against teams that had something to play for (ICT had just secured top 4 when we played them and Dunfermline had 45 minutes knowing they couldn’t improve their position). Against that, we don’t know how Queens would have done if Fitzpatrick hadn’t got injured.
Tl;dr I don’t know whether the board will think Gibson deserves the job based on results. I think he will get it, though, because he doesn’t obviously not deserve it.

Falkirk appointing McGlynn from Raith as their new manager .... not good for Queens as McGlynn tends to know what he's actually doing. Thanks Rovers ... not ...

Falkirk appointing McGlynn from Raith as their new manager .... not good for Queens as McGlynn tends to know what he's actually doing. Thanks Rovers ... not ...
I'm not sure the managers are the problem at Falkirk tbh. I'm not sure how many managers they need to go through before they realise this.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm not sure the managers are the problem at Falkirk tbh. I'm not sure how many managers they need to go through before they realise this.

Aye, there's something not right behind the scenes there. Still, I've always liked the football McGlynn's teams have played ...and I'm sure Falkirk will get their shit together sometime. Doesn't give me a good feeling this.

Yes, we dont want our rivals appointing competent managers. So it looks like Airdrie, Montrose, Queens Park ( if none of them go up) as well as Falkirk & Kelty are all going to be decent next season. Gulp.

1 minute ago, sidofthesouth said:

Yes, we dont want our rivals appointing competent managers. So it looks like Airdrie, Montrose, Queens Park ( if none of them go up) as well as Falkirk & Kelty are all going to be decent next season. Gulp.

Gulp ... indeed ... this ain't gonna be the easy ride that our last visit to L1 was.

McGIynn very good experienced  manager was hoping we might be in for him but we can never get near what Falkirk will offer him .

Does that make Kenny Millar available or just go with WG give him a chance think the board will take that easy option  

6 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

McGIynn very good experienced  manager was hoping we might be in for him but we can never get near what Falkirk will offer him .

Does that make Kenny Millar available or just go with WG give him a chance think the board will take that easy option  

Kenny Miller was assistant to Falkirk's previous manager who went back to the US and was in interim charge for the last few games of the season.

Didn't see McGlynn dropping a division to leave Raith, although I reckon the Goodwillie fiasco didn't help matters in Kirkcaldy.

Scot Hooper is another who wants to stay part time as he has a good job with Mark Jardine .
Why come to Queens full time when he can make more with his job and part time football .
A lot more good players are turning to part time who we could get if we  offer them that option 

Doesnt work for mark now, thanks for playing

Don’t think if the board go Wullie it’s the easy option tbh, he’s shown him self to be capable, I’m not for one minute saying he’s not a gamble but any appointment Is. A lot improved under his tenure and I think there’s more to come, deserves a crack at it with his own players as much as anyone else. It’ll be refreshing also to have a manager desperate to be our manager and not harp on about budgets constantly. He gets it, doesn’t bullshit us like the previous. We improved playing wise, injuries were hard on us and results went against us, but we turned corner again in last 3.

Get him appointed and let’s start firing a squad together

34 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

It’ll be refreshing also to have a manager desperate to be our manager and not harp on about budgets constantly. 

That's Greenacres out of the running for the job then.