The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
34 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

How many Club Chairpersons did you poll to come to the conclusion that most would pay the full commercial price for shirt sponsorship. Your last sentence sums the problem up, it's only become a problem because it's been a terrible season yet what he paid and what he gets out of it will be the same as a good season. Actually that's not quite right, there will be reduced media coverage, no live Friday night games on TV, etc, in League 1 so he's not getting the same exposure. 

I didn’t conduct a poll. It is normal for transactions between a company and a director to be carried out at a commercial rate because directors have to act in the best interests of the company. I suppose some chairpersons might pay less than market value but I think they’d need to disclose that to the shareholders unless the amount was immaterial. And if they disclose it, you’d think the fans wouldn’t be too happy, unless the director was otherwise paying money in. I could be wrong, though. 
In this case, he has paid the same as anybody else would in the circumstances, so that isn’t an issue. As I said, there is nothing wrong with him accepting the benefit of a prize that was the same for everybody who bought a ticket. Just not something I’d have done in his position.

Any decent person putting the club first would have seen this as a opportunity to raise some extra cash by auctioning it back off. 

If he keeps it, It's just morally wrong and a bad look. 

Plenty of other ways he could stick his cash in and have it up in lights. 

I wonder if it's left a sour taste in the mouths of the companies who bought tickets and will they be put off? 

Incidentally, any figures on the number of companies who entered this year compared to last? 

1 hour ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

Football club gets relegated, hardly anything new, it's known risk to every side, every season.  That's football.

Buy a shirt sponsor raffle ticket, win the first prize, it's the known prize and has been for umpteen years.  It's not as if this is the first draw and his company won, or his company has won every year since it's inception.

That's the thing, there was no need for Queen's to be relegated, if the board had a decent set of balls and sacked Johnston at the appropriate time and not at the last minute, Gibson and Murray could have sorted a plan in and brought in some loan players before the window shut, having to rely on the worst forward line(excluding Fitzpatrick) queen's have had for years wasn't going to end well. 

17 minutes ago, Rouky said:

That's the thing, there was no need for Queen's to be relegated, if the board had a decent set of balls and sacked Johnston at the appropriate time and not at the last minute, Gibson and Murray could have sorted a plan in and brought in some loan players before the window shut, having to rely on the worst forward line(excluding Fitzpatrick) queen's have had for years wasn't going to end well. 

One team has to go and that's a risk every club takes.  Sadly we weren't good enough and in the end nor were Gibson and Murray.  The club has to dust itself down and rebound.  We did it 10 years ago and we need to do it again.

I am as frustrated and disappointed as the next man, but sometimes you have to take a backwards step to move forward again and this relegation has been coming the last couple of years.  Action has to be taken now to get us back up.

56 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Any decent person putting the club first would have seen this as a opportunity to raise some extra cash by auctioning it back off. 

If he keeps it, It's just morally wrong and a bad look. 

Plenty of other ways he could stick his cash in and have it up in lights. 

I wonder if it's left a sour taste in the mouths of the companies who bought tickets and will they be put off? 

Incidentally, any figures on the number of companies who entered this year compared to last? 

163 entries which I think is very good considering the season we’ve had and £70,000 raised plus the money from the company on the back of the shirt. 

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

163 entries which I think is very good considering the season we’ve had and £70,000 raised plus the money from the company on the back of the shirt. 

It won’t be £70,000 after deducting the season ticket money. I suppose nobody knows if all the season tickets are actually used. But if they’re not used, there is no point in including them in the first place. Imo they should reduce the cost of the draw tickets but exclude the season ticket and if folk want to buy a season ticket separately, they can.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

It won’t be £70,000 after deducting the season ticket money. I suppose nobody knows if all the season tickets are actually used. But if they’re not used, there is no point in including them in the first place. Imo they should reduce the cost of the draw tickets but exclude the season ticket and if folk want to buy a season ticket separately, they can.

I've no idea how you'd calculate the impact, but the logic of throwing in a season ticket seems pretty sound to me.

It's a decent incentive to buying a draw ticket.  Without it, I don't know how appealing spending hundreds on such a remote chance of winning something worthwhile, would be.

I'm guessing of course, but I can see why it's part of the deal and would imagine it's strongly connected to the number of draw tickets shifted.

Guest Flash
18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've no idea how you'd calculate the impact, but the logic of throwing in a season ticket seems pretty sound to me.

It's a decent incentive to buying a draw ticket.  Without it, I don't know how appealing spending hundreds on such a remote chance of winning something worthwhile, would be.

I'm guessing of course, but I can see why it's part of the deal and would imagine it's strongly connected to the number of draw tickets shifted.

If the cost of a draw ticket without a season ticket excluded the price of a season ticket, you’re in exactly the same position. People who pay £425 (or whatever it is) and end up with only a season ticket would be in exactly the same position if they paid £200 for a draw ticket (or whatever the difference is) and ended up with nothing. And then they could buy a season ticket separately if they wanted one for exactly the same outlay.
Am I missing something?

4 hours ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

Football club gets relegated, hardly anything new, it's known risk to every side, every season.  That's football.

Buy a shirt sponsor raffle ticket, win the first prize, it's the known prize and has been for umpteen years.  It's not as if this is the first draw and his company won, or his company has won every year since it's inception.

Aye no problem.

200.gif.1287b61ee3e3be52aa4ac039a195458d.gif

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

If the cost of a draw ticket without a season ticket excluded the price of a season ticket, you’re in exactly the same position. People who pay £425 (or whatever it is) and end up with only a season ticket would be in exactly the same position if they paid £200 for a draw ticket (or whatever the difference is) and ended up with nothing. And then they could buy a season ticket separately if they wanted one for exactly the same outlay.
Am I missing something?

I would guess that we shift more season tickets than we otherwise would, due to the shirt draw.  I'd also suggest that it's probably a good thing to tie the purchases together in this way, as it'll mean more of both will be sold, due to the appeal of the other part of the package.

Is it not also a good thing to have more season tickets swimming about out there, even if plenty don't often see much light?  Surely, more people are likely to come out at crunch moments (like last weekend) if tickets have already been bought.  Their owners are perhaps more likely to take someone with them.

I'm not pretending that it would make a huge difference either way.  The current arrangement looks sensible to me though.

Guest Flash
8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I would guess that we shift more season tickets than we otherwise would, due to the shirt draw.  I'd also suggest that it's probably a good thing to tie the purchases together in this way, as it'll mean more of both will be sold, due to the appeal of the other part of the package.

Is it not also a good thing to have more season tickets swimming about out there, even if plenty don't often see much light?  Surely, more people are likely to come out at crunch moments (like last weekend) if tickets have already been bought.  Their owners are perhaps more likely to take someone with them.

I'm not pretending that it would make a huge difference either way.  The current arrangement looks sensible to me though.

I dunno. I would have thought anybody wanting a season ticket would buy one anyway. Just thought if the shirt draw price was lower, more folk might enter it, like if they wanted the chance of the low cost advertising but didn’t want a season ticket.
Difficult to prove either way. Maybe they could offer both next season - shirt draw including season ticket at one price and without at another then see what happens.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I dunno. I would have thought anybody wanting a season ticket would buy one anyway. Just thought if the shirt draw price was lower, more folk might enter it, like if they wanted the chance of the low cost advertising but didn’t want a season ticket.
Difficult to prove either way. Maybe they could offer both next season - shirt draw including season ticket at one price and without at another then see what happens.

Nonsense 

My boss buys a ticket but only uses season ticket if we get a big cup game without it he wouldn't go at all. But it's there for anybody to use and some people at my work can't afford to go with 2 kids very oftenso at least the club are getting money from food and drink. And because kids are used to going pester power gets the club extra gate money at big games when the boss keeps the st.

My boss buys a ticket but only uses season ticket if we get a big cup game without it he wouldn't go at all. But it's there for anybody to use and some people at my work can't afford to go with 2 kids very oftenso at least the club are getting money from food and drink. And because kids are used to going pester power gets the club extra gate money at big games when the boss keeps the st.

Season tickets not valid for cup games [emoji106]

3 hours ago, Flash said:

I guess it's a similar question to lowering gate prices. If you charge half as much to get in then you have to sell twice as many tickets. 

Is it likely we could seller many more shirt draws at a lower price? I'm not sure we could 

33 minutes ago, cooshedder said:

Ps   is this our last day here when are we being evicted 

No

I will be glad to see the back of Cameron. He gives nothing to a team and his goal scoring record is shocking. How he has started every game is unbelievable [emoji2962]
As I've already said. The fear is he'll rock up at us next term. League 1 is the carthorse's level and we might be stupid enough to get there first.

10 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I will be glad to see the back of Cameron. He gives nothing to a team and his goal scoring record is shocking. How he has started every game is unbelievable 🤯

Its odd because he looked decent at Alloa last season but he really has been awful for us, so much so hes basically become a parody of himself.