The Queen of the South thread

Well I have to say that bizarrely I’m sad to see you guys go down. I like Palmerston, great view and always a good atmosphere even though I’ve been countless times and never seen us win. However I absolutely hate your artificial pitch with players slipping all over the place and the uneven bounces. 
On the game today I think a draw was a fair result. But some of the finishing from both sides today was grim.

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Well I have to say that bizarrely I’m sad to see you guys go down. I like Palmerston, great view and always a good atmosphere even though I’ve been countless times and never seen us win. However I absolutely hate your artificial pitch with players slipping all over the place and the uneven bounces. 
On the game today I think a draw was a fair result. But some of the finishing from both sides today was grim.

Agreed the pitch is absolutely awful. Sometimes the ball will bounce natural, other times it won't, as you say players are falling over when they wouldn't on grass. I seriously think you will be joining us in the 1st, Dunfermline will beat queens, McCall will want to beat Ayr to keep up the momentum of winning for the play offs and I think Airdrie are more than capable of beating anyone of the bottom 3 in the championship.

4 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Appreciate the sentiments, although Queens demise has been on the horizon for a good few seasons. Lucky not to go down even when Dobbie was still at Palmerston. Scottish football's 3rd tier is a different beast than the last time Queens were playing there, winning the title a decade ago. 

Queens will be playing the likes of Alloa, Falkirk and some other clubs they haven't played for a while.

6 minutes ago, Rouky said:

Agreed the pitch is absolutely awful. Sometimes the ball will bounce natural, other times it won't, as you say players are falling over when they wouldn't on grass. I seriously think you will be joining us in the 1st, Dunfermline will beat queens, McCall will want to beat Ayr to keep up the momentum of winning for the play offs and I think Airdrie are more than capable of beating anyone of the bottom 3 in the championship.

I think that all 3 of the bottom championship teams would be beat Airdrie tbh. I still think you might help us out next week though

1 hour ago, cooshedder said:

Can assure you budget wasn't an issue he thought it was low because he thinks he's better than he is. Aj was the problem a certain striker would've returned if he wasn't there. Bod at fault for not getting rid of him in January. Certain people here were over the moon when AJ returned now they all slagging him they were warned

If you're meaning G Reilly it wasn't because of Johnson it was Sandy Clark 

No one hates our pitch more than us. It's pish.

In a season wearing a kit with a picture of the squad who won the Challenge Cup and the third tier, Queens have managed to reach both the Challenge Cup Final, and the third tier.

Don't think that was the intended inspiration. 

7 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Is Wullie the man to get us back up emotional interview after the Ayr game definitely wants the job but my worry is has he the experience to build a squad .

Does he deserve a chance ?

Tell him if he wins next week he's got the job.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
5 hours ago, Kunter said:

Budget was definitely the issue. When Johnson took the gig on he was surprised how low it was (apparently).  
There's a reason why it's full of essentially young players. The wages are crap / can't attract the quality.  

Do you think our budget is miles behind Arbroath? Budget is a pish excuse. Arbroath almost won the division and Livingston went up with a tiny budget as well. The biggest issue was AJ. An absolute charlatan of a manager at this level.

No its not but Arbroath are part time the guys have jobs outside football and make alot more put together than likes of a fulltime Queens can. 

6 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No its not but Arbroath are part time the guys have jobs outside football and make alot more put together than likes of a fulltime Queens can. 

I don't know what percentage are part time, certainly not all but it's no secret to say we are at the lower end of the wage structure. 

Wullie's interview after yesterday's game just shows what many of us knew all along that he has a love and passion for the club and a desire to take it forward. He has a connection with the club but was dealt a shit hand. A squad that was not good enough in August didn't get any better. The front two yesterday are awful. Del Boy and Dobbs, had they been here yesterday, even at their stage of playing, would have caused more problems to Ayr. Not until Paton came on did it look as though we could score. The January signing window, that has helped us before, was a disaster. The Directors, for whatever reason, took too long to change manager. So what of the future? Bring in one of the usual failed suspects from the manager's merry go round? Someone who has recently retired but yet untried who knows nothing about the club? Okay Wullie didn't pull it off, I doubt whether top managers from the Premiership would have done much better. So I hope the Board appoint Wullie, give him a contract for a year and let him build his own team.  

13 hours ago, Kunter said:

Budget was definitely the issue. When Johnson took the gig on he was surprised how low it was (apparently).  

There's a reason why it's full of essentially young players. The wages are crap / can't attract the quality.  

If you didn't watch the games and relied on league tables to form an opinion then budget could have been used as the main reason. Not going to use the Arbroath example as they have a few things which lend into their favour. Overall this has been a poor league where bottom has competed with top more often than you'd expect. 2 or 3 more wins and you'd have been right in the mix. A better manager would have managed to do this. Would actually say you were in a worse starting position last season and managed to get a good team on the park

Never thought I'd say this but losing Max Johnston and Aiden Fitzpatrick for the run-in was a major blow. Having said that we created plenty of chances in the last few games but paid for it by persevering with inept strikers. How Cameron retains his place week after week is a mystery, if its in his loan agreement that he must play then whoever agreed that deal should be hounded, maybe it was AJ who already has been of course. Junior can be entertaining to watch but is another "striker" who struggles to strike. Managers seem to have the mindset that we need to play a big target man but I'd hazard a guess that playing the likes of Paton and Connelly as a front two would reap more goals but that would mean changing our whole approach. All academic now so we'll just have to wait and see what the close season brings in terms of Management and signings. 

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

Commiserations guys. Really disappointed to see Queens relegated, I've posted a few times it's a club I've got a real soft spot for. Hope it's not a long absence.

I worked at Killie for two decades 1990 til 2010 on matchdays as an Area Controller outside the East Stand although a Queens fan...

Well now reality has set in our club has to make a quick decision. Give WG the gig and let him build his own squad. Or get a new manger in quickly to allow us to start shaping up the squad. I personally would like Wullie in charge as he is a guy I have a lot of time for. He cares about the club. I would imagine he would be looking to keep 4-6 of the out of contract players as well as the few signed up for next year. Then start to a bit of steel and experience to our young squad. O'Connor is out of contract at Motherwell. Him and McKay could be a good solid pairing for league 1. Planning has to start now. Don't know if any of our players has been lined up for other teams as you never know what goes on.