The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, mwwqos321 said:

You can only really judge Gibson when and if he has chosen the squad of players at his disposal  of cards.otherwise he has been dealt a bad hand

so with a number of players already signed on 2 years deals and others being given extensions to next season, do we wait until 2023-24 season to judge Wulliie Gibson?

8 minutes ago, queenslad said:

so with a number of players already signed on 2 years deals and others being given extensions to next season, do we wait until 2023-24 season to judge Wulliie Gibson?

One of them is Chima surely we will rip up his deal in the summer. Only McKay Cochrane Paton Todd and Cowie.

One of them is Chima surely we will rip up his deal in the summer. Only McKay Cochrane Paton Todd and Cowie.

I think Cochrane will be away also, team in Ireland showed interest in january like most know, I think they’ll come back

Guest Flash
15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like Gibson and I recognise that he was always going to be up against it in this stint that he got presented with.

The facts are, however, that he's made questionable selections and overseen an absolutely horrendous run of form after a bright start.

I think it's getting increasingly difficult to justify appointing him for next season.  I wish it was otherwise.

If Gibson is appointed after a failed trial period, there was no point in having the trial period in the first place. If people are saying results don’t count because it isn’t his team and/or there is nobody else, he should have been appointed two months ago.
Imo, it also effectively means that the only reason Johnston was sacked was for signing these duds, not for being unable to get more out of them with better selections and tactics.

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

If Gibson is appointed after a failed trial period, there was no point in having the trial period in the first place. If people are saying results don’t count because it isn’t his team and/or there is nobody else, he should have been appointed two months ago.

Yes, that's a very good point.

I fully understand the impulse to give him a proper crack at the job.  He was on a hiding to nothing in some respects.  He stepped up and in the absence of obvious alternatives, perhaps he deserves a shot in the new surroundings we're about to inhabit.  I wouldn't be especially opposed to that happening.

You're dead right though.  If he keeps the role after this run, it totally begs the question as to why he wasn't just given a longer contract in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

Imo, it also effectively means that the only reason Johnston was sacked was for signing these duds, not for being unable to get more out of them with better selections and tactics.

Johnston wasn't really in a position to be sacked 2 months ago as we were on target for our ambitious 8th position.

14 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Johnston wasn't really in a position to be sacked 2 months ago as we were on target for our ambitious 8th position.

He was sacked a little over 2 months ago on the 13th of February.  We were bottom at the time.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

17 hours ago, qos_75 said:

The majority of them them can f**k off for me. Clearly take no pride in their jobs so I will be glad I don’t have to clap eyes on them again. 

Need a major clear out .

Our 6 loan signing will all go back only O'Connor looking anything like good enough .

I would release 

Nditi   Cooper   Debayo   McKechnie   Joseph   Roy

Soares Junior 

Offer deals

Connelly    Rae   McGory     East    Fizpatrick   

Gibson only as a player. 

Don't expect Connelly Rae or Fizpatrick to sign.

We have 6 signed for next season 

Cowie   McKay   Chima   Cochrane   Paton   Todd  

A massive job to sign a squad good enough to at least get us into the playoffs in League 1

Edited by Greenacres

47 minutes ago, Flash said:

That is why we can't appoint Gibson he has failed in his trial period .

No improvement in results or the way we have played if anything we are now worse than when AJ was in charge. 

It was a gamble that has never worked time now to move on

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Dougie Imrie took over a squad of players under similar circumstances, and hasn't made a roaring c**t of it like Gibson has. Indeed, it has been quite the opposite.

There's absolutely no doubt that Imrie's management of the squad he inherited has been exemplary and trumps what Gibson has done at Palmerston.  That said, you can't rule out the possibility that some areas of the Morton squad have been simply higher quality than their equivalent at Queens.  For example, away from home Queens have conceded double the goals that Morton have - that's a significant difference and whilst Imrie's defensive organisational nous will have been a factor, I'd also suggest that another factor in that particular stat would relate to the relative quality of defenders between the two squads.  Quite apart from a painfully obvious lack of cutting edge up front, Queens major weakness this season has been our ability to continually leak cheap goals through inept defending.  So aye, Imrie has outperformed Gibson - but you can't rule out squad related differences entirely.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

If Gibson is appointed after a failed trial period, there was no point in having the trial period in the first place. 

Only the BOD will know the answer, but my reading of this is that the BOD had realised (by the end of January) that the squad was just not up to the standard required to keep us in the Championship (a fact the fans knew back in August of course) and that AJ wasn't able to motivate/sufficiently organise them.  Hence, give Gibson a shot at trying to mould something useful out of a lousy hand of cards and see how he does (in the hope he might possibly have been another Imrie) - but in the meantime start talking to other potential candidates for next season.  We just have to hope that they have indeed been doing this and not wasting time navel gazing over the final quarter.

I'd also imagine that Gibson would have been told that (if it didn't work out) his coaching role with the younger squads would remain unaffected - with the possibility that he might have another year as a player, dependant of course on the views of the manager appointed in the close season.

8 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Think the difference between Imrie and Gibson is Gibson had to play as he is our best player. If he was just a manager In think he could do a good job especially with his own players

Yeah, that's a fair point too - that's a lot to have to deal with.

Guest Flash
36 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Only the BOD will know the answer, but my reading of this is that the BOD had realised (by the end of January) that the squad was just not up to the standard required to keep us in the Championship (a fact the fans knew back in August of course) and that AJ wasn't able to motivate/sufficiently organise them.  Hence, give Gibson a shot at trying to mould something useful out of a lousy hand of cards and see how he does (in the hope he might possibly have been another Imrie) - but in the meantime start talking to other potential candidates for next season.  We just have to hope that they have indeed been doing this and not wasting time navel gazing over the final quarter.

I'd also imagine that Gibson would have been told that (if it didn't work out) his coaching role with the younger squads would remain unaffected - with the possibility that he might have another year as a player, dependant of course on the views of the manager appointed in the close season.

This is what worries me. It reminds me of when Skelton was appointed in the summer after a caretaker period. He only lasted about 4 months but it then took another month to appoint Naysmith. If the BoD had considered all the other candidates in the summer, would it not just been a case of asking whoever had come second to Skelton in the process? Or, if that person was now unavailable, whoever came third. Obviously, they’d also need to factor in anybody else who had applied or become available since the summer. But that wouldn’t have been that many.
I don’t know why it took a month to come up with Naysmith if he’d been second choice to Skelton only a few months earlier. I suppose they could have been negotiating his release but I’m fairly sure East Fife said they were only approached after Queens lost to Albion Rovers in the Cup. Even if he was approached right away, it shouldn’t have taken a month to work out the compensation due to East Fife.

Tl;dr I suspect they will have been navel gazing.

1 hour ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Why hand it to East though for the sake of a handful of games until the end of the season.

East for me is at best a good squad player never should be playing every week .

He seems to get away from any criticism yet  he is the weak link at the centre of our defence. Good to have in the squad for his versatility .

8 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

East for me is at best a good squad player never should be playing every week .

He seems to get away from any criticism yet  he is the weak link at the centre of our defence. Good to have in the squad for his versatility .

I have said previously I think he would be better at left back.

16 hours ago, queenslad said:

Not at all. Give him three months to see how he gets on then judge him.