The Queen of the South thread

Cochrane, McKay, Rae and McGrory all have the look of quality league one players about them so there are decent building blocks to base a team around next season (assuming Rae and McGrory re-sign).  Fitzpatrick too if he is prepared to both drop a division and put in a shift.  It will probably come down to how quickly we move for available players and how much money can be prized out of Billy's paws.
What's happened to Connelly by the way?  He's been hugely disappointing since coming back from injury.

Eyes on a move next season maybe...

I'd like if we could re sign East - for a striker to be playing centre half he has been good, is learning the position and drives forward well. A good reader of the game

For me he's now a CB. He offered very little as a striker IMO and has been far better at the back. Said the same tonight that I'd be happy to see him stay. With an older head beside him I think he could really push on.

Yeah, I've been quite impressed with East at CB of late and he should do OK in L1 next season.

When we were offering some longer term contracts a couple of months back it seemed obvious that Connelly would have been offered one. The fact it didn't happen suggested to me that he viewed his future elsewhere. Trouble is, his form in the last two televised games won't be helping his marketability.

Never thought I'd say this but I think the loss of Fitzpatrick to injury could well have sent us down. He was just starting to find form ... and scoring too. A big miss in these last key games.

Remember at the start of the season when we tried to warn you that Ally Roy was a diddy and worse than a man down at times? Then he had his one storming league cup game per season (against us ironically) and the Queen's fans were all "haha GIRFUY Airdrie fans", "Ally's the boy" etc etc. Well...

Karma for you in particular @ALOREBURNE

Edited by cb_diamond

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes, Cochrane might just shine at a level down. Trouble is I fear he could be made of glass and spend half the season injured.

Surely we've seen enough of Cameron now, has to be better options out there.

No doubt at all that Cameron works really hard but a central striker, (very often a lone striker in the modern game), who essentially has next to no finishing instinct has got a limited future. I can’t see Championship clubs queuing up to take him and it’s not certain that he would fare any better in League 1. I have seldom seen a big bustling striker who takes up such poor positions when “Hollywood” crosses come in to the danger area. His shooting technique is dreadful - doesn’t seem to have mastered shooting with his instep and getting his laces through the shot. It is hardly a difficult skill to master.

In all my years of watching Queens I have never seen a group of players consistently find so many ways of losing matches that we either should have won or drawn at worst. Pundits on BBC saying that there has been a big improvement in recent weeks BUT WE HAVE JUST LOST 6 ON THE BOUNCE!!!

On 06/04/2022 at 23:30, Chubbychops said:

Sounds very brave of your chairman. Most would go nowhere near a Q&A at a time when their team is bottom.

We've all been brainwashed into thinking this is as good as it could ever be so he's pretty safe from any criticism. 

Remember at the start of the season when we tried to warn you that Ally Roy was a diddy and worse than a man down at times? Then he had his one storming league cup game per season (against us ironically) and the Queen's fans were all "haha GIRFUY Airdrie fans", "Ally's the boy" etc etc. Well...
Karma for you in particular [mention=37959]ALOREBURNE[/mention]

And yet you seem far more upset than any QoS poster.
No doubt at all that Cameron works really hard but a central striker, (very often a lone striker in the modern game), who essentially has next to no finishing instinct has got a limited future. I can’t see Championship clubs queuing up to take him and it’s not certain that he would fare any better in League 1. I have seldom seen a big bustling striker who takes up such poor positions when “Hollywood” crosses come in to the danger area. His shooting technique is dreadful - doesn’t seem to have mastered shooting with his instep and getting his laces through the shot. It is hardly a difficult skill to master.
In all my years of watching Queens I have never seen a group of players consistently find so many ways of losing matches that we either should have won or drawn at worst. Pundits on BBC saying that there has been a big improvement in recent weeks BUT WE HAVE JUST LOST 6 ON THE BOUNCE!!!

I'm glad I wont have to watch Cameron again. I'm surprised he scored goals with Alloa and that some posters seemed to rate him. The guy runs like he has one leg shorter than the other.

Actually think we should try keep some of this squad together for next year - Todd, Paton, MacKay, East, McKennie, Fitzpatrick, Gibson, Cochrane, McGrory. Out of all the loan players I’d only be happy to keep O’Connor, but he’s out of contract and will surely get better offers from elsewhere.

Think it’s inevitable that Rae and Connelly will get offers from Championship clubs as well.

Sounds stupid to say but don’t think we are actually that far away. We obviously need to improve in both boxes, an experienced centre half to play beside East and a proven goal scorer and we wouldn’t be far away away.

Who knows if this is being overly optimistic. With Gibson in charge, hopefully enough of the players are happy to play under him again next year. 

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Upset is quite the stretch. Amused by inevitability is more accurate 

Wouldn’t be mocking others, your lot are rank rotten. You have no chance in the play offs, see you next year!

8 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Wouldn’t be mocking others, your lot are rank rotten. You have no chance in the play offs, see you next year!

Unbeaten in the league since last year sweetheart 😘

Turns out this picture that was trotted out in July isn't the cowardly lion celebrating his hat trick, he was merely foreshadowing which tier both he and yourself would be plying your trade in next season 😂

0_AMR_HAM_ALLYROY_02JPG.jpg

Edited by cb_diamond

Just now, cb_diamond said:

Unbeaten in the league since last year sweetheart 😘

Turns out this picture that was trotted out in July isn't the cowardly lion celebrating his hat trick, he was merely foreshadowing what tier he and yourself would be playing your trade in next season 😂

0_AMR_HAM_ALLYROY_02JPG.jpg

Again, you’re gloating for f**k all, as we will be in the same league as you next year. And dunno why you keep bringing up Ally Roy, I’m hardly going to argue with you, he’s absolutely shite.

Can’t wait to see your far right thug supporting fan base back at Palmerston next year! 

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

Again, you’re gloating for f**k all, as we will be in the same league as you next year. And dunno why you keep bringing up Ally Roy, I’m hardly going to argue with you, he’s absolutely shite.

Can’t wait to see your far right thug supporting fan base back at Palmerston next year! 

Explanation on the first post re Ally, try to keep up rather than raging away.

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Karma for you in particular @ALOREBURNE

No, actually. I think you've imagined that. 

Roy has always been average at best, I don't think many Queens fans would claim otherwise. 

34 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

No, actually. I think you've imagined that. 

Roy has always been average at best, I don't think many Queens fans would claim otherwise. 

A cursorary glance back to the thread post league cup game suggests a different picture...

I think you're reading far too much into fans winding up the opposition fans after a win. Nobody thought Roy was anything special. 
He appears more concerned about Roy than any QoS fans, that's for sure.

I think that we were in need of a reset anyway, having flirted with the drop for 3 or 4 years now. So a season or two outside the Championship is probably not a bad thing right now, chance to take stock and regroup etc. Just hope it's not more than a couple of seasons though. 🤞