The Queen of the South thread

I'm fairly neutral on it.

Gibson was indeed on rather a hiding to nothing when assuming the role.  It's pretty impossible to argue that his impact has been terribly positive though, certainly in a sustained way. 

Maybe giving him a go with players that he signs is justifiable, but he's not yet built a watertight case for it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

If Queens end up relegated to League One, apart from packing their buckets and spades they should have a total clear out at Palmerston from top to bottom......getting rid of Directors, Players and Management team......but knowing Queens none of those things will happen

If Queens end up relegated to League One, apart from packing their buckets and spades they should have a total clear out at Palmerston from top to bottom......getting rid of Directors, Players and Management team......but knowing Queens none of those things will happen

Because you want to see us play in League 2 as well?

I think the BOD knew it was done and over when AJ was ditched, and it had become apparent that the squad lacked the necessary quality. So the rationale was give it to WG till the end of the season and buy us time to consider the options ... and you never know if WG pulls off a miracle escape then we might give him the job long term.

So, the miracle escape didn't happen. Hence I'm sure the BOD are already well down the line in terms of who might be out there who could do a better job. Just need to make that commitment now so that the new incumbent gets a full close season to build his squad. Simples.

Edited by Otis Blue

55 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Surely even the most positive fan can see no hope for us staying up this season

Agreed, it's done and over now ... we're going back to Grangemouth.

38 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Shut the f@&k up ……. 

Dickies Bar are delighted to announce Billy Hewitson, chairman of Queen of the South will conduct our Grand National Sweep draw on Friday at 5pm

Following the draw we will host a Q and A session with Billy. All you Queens faithful, come along and have the opportunity to ask our Chairman a question.

Let’s see who turns up eh ?!?! 

25 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Dickies Bar are delighted to announce Billy Hewitson, chairman of Queen of the South will conduct our Grand National Sweep draw on Friday at 5pm

New depths have been plumbed in the search for Z-list celebrities.

28 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Following the draw we will host a Q and A session with Billy. All you Queens faithful, come along and have the opportunity to ask our Chairman a question.

Sounds very brave of your chairman. Most would go nowhere near a Q&A at a time when their team is bottom.

I think the BOD knew it was done and over when AJ was ditched, and it had become apparent that the squad lacked the necessary quality. So the rationale was give it to WG till the end of the season and buy us time to consider the options ... and you never know if WG pulls off a miracle escape then we might give him the job long term.
So, the miracle escape didn't happen. Hence I'm sure the BOD are already well down the line in terms of who might be out there who could do a better job. Just need to make that commitment now so that the new incumbent gets a full close season to build his squad. Simples.

Your scenario is plausible. One difficulty might be that WG would find it very difficult to go back to being just a player. I suppose the way round this would be making him player/assistant manager and letting him learn from a more experienced guy for a season or two.

Sounds very brave of your chairman. Most would go nowhere near a Q&A at a time when their team is bottom.

I can't say I have any questions at this point. The two main ones would be whether we are sticking with Gibson or hiring in; which I doubt he'd answer at this point and if we are staying FT next season; which a source close to Billy has said he said we are.

The other one would be a rhetorical question about whether the BoD put their hands up and admit sacking AJ took far too long. But again, at this point I'm past caring.

If the official invite is as hostile sounding as this one then folk might give it a swerve anyway [emoji38]

9 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Your scenario is plausible. One difficulty might be that WG would find it very difficult to go back to being just a player. I suppose the way round this would be making him player/assistant manager and letting him learn from a more experienced guy for a season or two.

True, but the thinking would be that WG's remaining playing days at this level are rapidly diminishing now anyway, which is only to be expected. No doubt he would return to second team coaching or support first team coaching duties as he learns that side of the game.

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm fairly neutral on it.

Gibson was indeed on rather a hiding to nothing when assuming the role.  It's pretty impossible to argue that his impact has been terribly positive though, certainly in a sustained way. 

Maybe giving him a go with players that he signs is justifiable, but he's not yet built a watertight case for it.

One the one hand Gibson managed two league wins in succession, something Johnston didn’t achieve this season. On the other, we’ve lost 5 games in a row, which never happened at any time under Johnston. As you say, it is difficult to know whether anybody could have got any more out of this group of players. They are a fragile bunch both mentally and physically. This carry on of conceding loads of goals in the latter stages of games and hardly ever scoring any is an example of that.
I’ve got a feeling they will stick with Gibson, though. Partly because they have a history of appointing from within (I think Gibson would be the 7th in the last 20 years or so, even Johnston was somebody they already knew) and partly because it will be cheaper than bringing somebody else in.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

One the one hand Gibson managed two league wins in succession, something Johnston didn’t achieve this season. On the other, we’ve lost 5 games in a row, which never happened at any time under Johnston. As you say, it is difficult to know whether anybody could have got any more out of this group of players. They are a fragile bunch both mentally and physically. This carry on of conceding loads of goals in the latter stages of games and hardly ever scoring any is an example of that.
I’ve got a feeling they will stick with Gibson, though. Partly because they have a history of appointing from within (I think Gibson would be the 7th in the last 20 years or so, even Johnston was somebody they already knew) and partly because it will be cheaper than bringing somebody else in.

That is why they will stick with WG it is lazy and cheap.

If they do he must only get a 1 year contract they we can get rid if it goes wrong

We must try the mix of full and part time .

Tommy Goss at Annan full time with us did not really work out   now  back to his full time job plus part time I can guarantee he will be on more money doing that as will many other players .

At a club our size and budget we have to give players the option of part or full time train at night as a squad it worked at Raith why not with us .

This we must be full time is killing us we are getting young players with no experience we just can't take that gamble again next season .

What is most galling is that the club have over half a million quid in the bank and have allowed this to happen by waiting too long to get rid of AJ. Should have happened in December. Wullie needs to start with a blank canvas for next season and rebuild.

1 hour ago, mwwqos321 said:
What is most galling is that the club have over half a million quid in the bank and have allowed this to happen by waiting too long to get rid of AJ. Should have happened in December. Wullie needs to start with a blank canvas for next season and rebuild.

If we get relegated despite making a huge profit the last financial year then it’s been a massive case of mismanagement by the Chairman.