The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

At the moment he's in charge til the end of this season I believe.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's been told the jobs his beyond then though. Its not unheard for us to sign players with an interim manager in place, I'm sure we signed some players/extended contracts when Jim Thomson was in temporary charge (between Skelton and Naysmith) and he had made it clear he didn't want the gig full time. I'm not sure to what extent WG would be involved in these decisions, unless he already has some indication he's being kept on. 

I think the signings were in the summer after Skelton had been caretaker and before he was appointed permanently. I say “permanently” - turned out to be about 4 months.

Right everyone what's your line up for Sunday. With Johnston, Folarin and Junior injured and Cameron and Gordon cup tied. Thankfully we have players back available. I'm not for the diddy cup final we have had horrible season and it would be good to get some smiles on our faces. Here is my team of available players and to be honest save pumping the ball forward to Cameron. 

LINEUP111648753067243.png

12 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Right everyone what's your line up for Sunday. With Johnston, Folarin and Junior injured and Cameron and Gordon cup tied. Thankfully we have players back available. I'm not for the diddy cup final we have had horrible season and it would be good to get some smiles on our faces. Here is my team of available players and to be honest save pumping the ball forward to Cameron. 

LINEUP111648753067243.png

That is exactly the formation we should have been employing for the vast majority of all matches this season. Two solid banks of 4 and a partnership up top. Despite all our injuries (which season after season defy the most basic laws of probability) we have still had enough personnel to slot into this formation. It is tried and tested at this level and we have two attacking full backs which means you can even afford for your 4 midfielders to play “narrow” if you want to flood central midfield. Seeing our Managers AJ and WG continually concocting elaborate systems (Hamilton away being the latest failed experiment) that simply don’t suit the players that we have is extremely frustrating. 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 guarantees nothing of course but at least it gives you a consistent shape and it helps ball retention and chance creation. 3-5-2 invariably becomes 5-3-2 = long aimless punts to nobody and your midfield being heavily outnumbered. 

That is very sad news indeed - Lex was a real natural, super talented and a player who could take people on and really make things happen.I certainly remember him fondly from my early days of watching Queens. 

Lex is very firmly in the category of QOS players who could easily have played at a higher level.

RIP Lex

Don't know why, but my abiding memory of Lex was a New Year's day game against Stranraer at Palmy, early 70s. Think we were two down going into the second half in a busy and noisy Portland Rd end. We weren't playing well but Lex turned it round with his energy and class, topping it off by grabbing the equaliser and unlucky not to win it in the end. Sad loss.

The final we just run out of steam 

Wullie should have tried to change things as soon as Raith made  the subs but to our cost he  did nothing surely he must have  seen the likes of Lee Connelly  really struggling .

We made it easy for the Raith subs to make a impact. 

The players gave there all but you need quality with that something we just don't have .

O'Connor was our best player  but the rest at the back really struggled.

We need a complete change in the summer that includes the management team we  need a  experienced manager as well as players .

Massive job trying to build  a squad good enough to get out of League 1 

The player manage thing just does not work you can't do both jobs.

Thought we competed well for an hour today and tried to play rather than just hoof it. Cochrane helps on that score. I'd probably have put Junior on earlier for his work rate if nothing else as Roy was lost second half.

If we could take that into the Partick game, get something there and maybe get Fitzy back for the game after that, you just never know ... long shot though it is.

We look good, press high, take on players and drive forward but with little cutting edge in the final third for all the efforts then when we loose possession the defence is all over the shop. 

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

To be fair you never got the breaks some of your play deserved, had lady luck been smiling on you today instead of us, four times the woodwork saved us, so all is not yet lost for you

If the Pars win on Wednesday and/or Queens fail to beat Partick on Friday ... then it's done and over, sad to say.

On 03/04/2022 at 20:46, Greenacres said:

The final we just run out of steam 

Wullie should have tried to change things as soon as Raith made  the subs but to our cost he  did nothing surely he must have  seen the likes of Lee Connelly  really struggling .

We made it easy for the Raith subs to make a impact. 

The players gave there all but you need quality with that something we just don't have .

O'Connor was our best player  but the rest at the back really struggled.

We need a complete change in the summer that includes the management team we  need a  experienced manager as well as players .

Massive job trying to build  a squad good enough to get out of League 1 

The player manage thing just does not work you can't do both jobs.

You've got to remember we didn't really have anyone on the bench to change it.

Hi guys, do you have any suggestions for pub(s) pre and post match in a couple of weeks? Will be arriving by train around noon. Is it a short taxi job to ground? Thanks

Wouldn't bother with a taxi if you're going to the pub beforehand. There are numerous pubs en route to the ground from the station. The Waverley is right up from the station and is a decent boozer if you get in before all the young uns. Then just head to the town centre from there. If you go past the Vauxhall garage on your way to the centre then you'll be fine for pubs all the way in. Pubs in the town are generally friendly. The World's End is the only dodgy one IMO.

Team played some great stuff on Sunday, gave everything, and were extremely unlucky on several occasions. It was a good game packed full of attacking football and was a great advert for the “Diddy Cup”. Raith scored two great goals from open play and Poplatnik’s header from an out swinging corner that he had no right to score from, was terrific. He was outstanding on the day and what a difference a player like that would make to our strike force.

However I have to be honest and say that I think it was a selection blunder to play Connelly wide right in a front 3. He is a player who can get goals, create chances in and around the box and generally be a big threat through the middle. While Paton played well and linked the play nicely it would have made more sense to play Paton wide right in a 4 and partner Connelly with Roy. The 11 players picked themselves but    Connelly is a potential match winner  whom we have to get the best out of and deploying him in an unfamiliar role when there were other better options is frustrating. 

To have any chance of avoiding bottom spot we have to get the right players on the park in the right positions. It should be a basic pre-requisite but AJ struggled to do this and I regret to say that WG is over thinking this aspect as well.

Surely even the most positive fan can see no hope for us staying up this season .

We have lost 5 in a row are now 6 points adrift it is done for this season.

Has Wullie the experience to sign a squad good enough to come straight back up if as expected he gets the job.

The gamble of sacking AJ and taking the easy option of appointing Wullie has not worked been no real improvement.

I would start again with a new manager but the majority seem to want to keep Wullie no idea why .