The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not really. He could maybe only manage 45. Same goes for Connolly. There's no way he's taken off unless he isn't 100%. But if Gibson started both those two and took both of them off due to their fitness then he'd be getting pelters for that as well.

I said when he was appointed that Gibson was on a hiding to nothing. All I hoped for were signs of improvement under him. Sadly there hasn't been much in the way of that in an attacking sense but then again you can only pish with the cock you have. Defensively though he has certainly tightened us up at the back and that deserves credit given how we have leaked goals all season. We've yet to lose by more than 1 under WG. We're still losing of course but it puts Northfield's BS to bed that we are just as bad than we were with AJ. Liddle let the side down badly today and I hope no one in the travelling support was stupid enough to applaud him when he left the pitch. I'm not one for shouting at your own players but I think I may well have exploded with him today if I was there.

I'd still be giving the job to WG for next season. It's going to be a hard league and we'll be nowhere near favourites to come up so it's worth giving a rookie a chance to build his own side and see where it takes us.

I think a lot of the away support were too busy shouting at the ref to applaud Liddle off. I don't think Liddle can have many complaints imo. 

2 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

He has inherited the shite that AJ signed - Jurgen Klopp couldn’t mould these useless fuckers into a winning team.

Dougie Imrie has done just that with a similar squad of utter jobbers under Gus McPherson's management.

Agree with this.

Feels helluva lot like the end is nigh. Was going to come eventually.

Whatever happens, model we've got needs to change.

Not really. He could maybe only manage 45. Same goes for Connolly. There's no way he's taken off unless he isn't 100%. But if Gibson started both those two and took both of them off due to their fitness then he'd be getting pelters for that as well.

I said when he was appointed that Gibson was on a hiding to nothing. All I hoped for were signs of improvement under him. Sadly there hasn't been much in the way of that in an attacking sense but then again you can only pish with the cock you have. Defensively though he has certainly tightened us up at the back and that deserves credit given how we have leaked goals all season. We've yet to lose by more than 1 under WG. We're still losing of course but it puts Northfield's BS to bed that we are just as bad than we were with AJ. Liddle let the side down badly today and I hope no one in the travelling support was stupid enough to applaud him when he left the pitch. I'm not one for shouting at your own players but I think I may well have exploded with him today if I was there.

I'd still be giving the job to WG for next season. It's going to be a hard league and we'll be nowhere near favourites to come up so it's worth giving a rookie a chance to build his own side and see where it takes us.

38 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Well I think WG will realise he made a huge mistake with today's line up. Why Liddle instead of Cochrane. What does big Innes gives us in this team. It is just an excuse for players to punt the ball up the pitch. Why Connelly off at half time he is the only one with something different. God knows how he will line up next week 

I must admit that was a tactical disaster today. A huge game today and we experiment with Cooper at left CB and play young McKechnie in an unfamiliar wing back role. On top of that we play Liddle ahead of Cochrane, Paton and Gordon all of whom offer infinitely more than he does. Liddle was very fortunate not to see red for his early lunge and the sensible thing was to hook him immediately and not let a hothead run the gauntlet for the remainder of the match. To make matters worse his second booking was apparently for dissent. Hope I never see him in a Queens shirt again.

For a game of this importance the lack of urgency and attacking intent from the players was criminal. WG keeps talking up this attacking policy but there has been little evidence if it and today  was a woeful performance clearly not helped by Liddle’s crass stupidity.

We had the personnel to slot into two banks of 4 in a basic workmanlike 4-4-2 but instead of that we get a 3-4-1-2 with several players out of position. Gibson himself must have played in at least 4 different roles and if he had just picked himself at RB and stuck there for the 90 minutes he might have given us half a chance of getting a result.

Dreadful stuff, total lack of urgency and tactics that did not play to strengths.

30 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I must admit that was a tactical disaster today. A huge game today and we experiment with Cooper at left CB and play young McKechnie in an unfamiliar wing back role. On top of that we play Liddle ahead of Cochrane, Paton and Gordon all of whom offer infinitely more than he does. Liddle was very fortunate not to see red for his early lunge and the sensible thing was to hook him immediately and not let a hothead run the gauntlet for the remainder of the match. To make matters worse his second booking was apparently for dissent. Hope I never see him in a Queens shirt again.

For a game of this importance the lack of urgency and attacking intent from the players was criminal. WG keeps talking up this attacking policy but there has been little evidence if it and today  was a woeful performance clearly not helped by Liddle’s crass stupidity.

We had the personnel to slot into two banks of 4 in a basic workmanlike 4-4-2 but instead of that we get a 3-4-1-2 with several players out of position. Gibson himself must have played in at least 4 different roles and if he had just picked himself at RB and stuck there for the 90 minutes he might have given us half a chance of getting a result.

Dreadful stuff, total lack of urgency and tactics that did not play to strengths.

I saw someone else say the booking was for dissent, has it been confirmed anywhere? I just thought the ref took his time before giving the yellow. Once he had decided it was Liddle who fouled it was a pretty obvious booking for stopping a promising attack, or whatever the wording is.

I'd like to see it again but it looked like Liddle was fouled first then brought down the Hamilton player as he was going down.

Neither of those change the fact that he should have been sat on the bench at that point, either because he didnt start or because he'd been hooked. As you say, he looked lucky to get away with a yellow the first time

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good post.

I don't think anyone expected Wullie to come in and save us from relegation.  The board dithered for far too long before giving AJ his jotters - he should have been punted long before the January transfer window if we were to have a chance of survival but instead when the penny finally dropped with Hewitson & Co the new manager was lumbered with not only the pre-Christmas squad but with AJ's additional January dud signings thrown in to boot.

Wullie certainly hasn't been helped by the timing of injuries to Connelly, Cochrane, McGrory and McKay and I am hoping that it is solely down to the enforced absence of those players that we have seen the continued tinkering with formations and personnel that I had hoped we had seen the back of when AJ left.  

What has been disappointing is that (as I mentioned in today's match thread and RJC alludes to above) since taking over Wullie has repeatedly told the fans about the attacking style of play he wants to see in his interviews, but we are still getting the scrappy hit and hope hoofball and reliance on getting lucky on the break that were the trademarks of AJ's management.  It's also a bit mystifying as to why Joseph and Liddle have been seen as starting midfield options in the two most recent games.

That said, Gibson's managerial record to date (including the Cove diddy game) is three wins, one draw and four defeats.  Not good enough for Northfield obviously but not the worst in the world.  So let's give Wullie the rest of this season as a bedding in period where mistakes will be made but can be learned from and a allow him to ditch the deadwood and start with a clean slate and his own squad next season.

Edited by Slipmat

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If Queens go down to the Seaside League One I reckon the infrastructure at Palmerston should change threefold if the club has any ambition of getting back to the Championship. Clear out the BOD, management team and the majority of the players.

Though knowing the club the BOD will remain, the management team will remain and unfortunately the majority of the playing squad may well remain too.

2 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

If Queens go down to the Seaside League One I reckon the infrastructure at Palmerston should change threefold if the club has any ambition of getting back to the Championship. Clear out the BOD, management team and the majority of the players.

Though knowing the club the BOD will remain, the management team will remain and unfortunately the majority of the playing squad may well remain too.

Maybe you could share with us how we clear out the BOD if nobody else wants to take on that role. 

This bit is key. I'd hoped the tinkering was in the past too

Wullie certainly hasn't been helped by the timing of injuries to Connelly, Cochrane, McGrory and McKay and I am hoping that it is solely down to the enforced absence of those players that we have seen the continued tinkering with formations and personnel that I had hoped we had seen the back of when AJ left.  

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Maybe you could share with us how we clear out the BOD if nobody else wants to take on that role. 

Yes, I was wondering about that bit.

Who clears out a Board of Directors, how do they do it and what does it get replaced by?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I was wondering about that bit.

Who clears out a Board of Directors, how do they do it and what does it get replaced by?

Ousted by the Queens supporters protests....

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Allowing the fans to run the club just like Morton...

12 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Good post.

I don't think anyone expected Wullie to come in and save us from relegation.  The board dithered for far too long before giving AJ his jotters - he should have been punted long before the January transfer window if we were to have a chance of survival but instead when the penny finally dropped with Hewitson & Co the new manager was lumbered with not only the pre-Christmas squad but with AJ's additional January dud signings thrown in to boot.

What has been disappointing is that (as I mentioned in today's match thread and RJC alludes to above) since taking over Wullie has repeatedly told the fans about the attacking style of play he wants to see in his interviews, but we are still getting the scrappy hit and hope hoofball and reliance on getting lucky on the break that were the trademarks of AJ's management.  It's also a bit mystifying as to why Joseph and Liddle have been seen as starting midfield options in the two most recent games.

That said, Gibson's managerial record to date (including the Cove diddy game) is three wins, one draw and four defeats.  Not good enough for Northfield obviously but not the worst in the world.  So let's give Wullie the rest of this season as a bedding in period where mistakes will be made but can be learned from and a allow him to ditch the deadwood and start with a clean slate and his own squad next season.

A lot of your post is spot on but this it must be Wullie as manager I just don't get there will be other more experienced managers availble .

On Wullie his interviews have almost gone as bad as AJ gone is the  upbeat positive person .

Makes me wonder why I am bothering going to the Cup Final on that Raith have sold 2000 tickets we will get nowhere near that 

I think we need to all de-stress and just forget about the outcome of the last 5 games now - we'd need several wins from those games to have a hope of 9th and we all know it ain't happening, the squad just doesn't have enough quality.  As others have said, it should now be about the re-build for next season.

I also think when the board punted AJ they really knew by that point that staying in the Championship was going to be a long shot - so I suspect the rationale was ... give WG the final quarter to see how he gets on and in parallel gain some thinking time to see who else could be around who might be a better alternative (I don't doubt that the board have been running the eye over potential alternatives to WG, would be daft not to).

Again, as others have said, we've now finally reaped the "benefit" of following a cheap as chips total squad re-build each season.  We've gotten away with this a couple of times lately, but only by sheer luck and relegation has only been a matter of time and now its here and we can't say we haven't deserved it.  So now is the time to finally ditch that "strategy" and get back to something more sustainable with some continuity in the squad.

Trying to figure out whether to go to the Diddy Final now - I've been to all four of the previous ones but our current form means we wouldn't lay a finger on Rovers at the moment.  That said, I can almost see this squad (knowing that most of them won't be here next season) actually pulling their collective fingers out for once and actually putting in a shift on Sunday with the lure of a bit of silverware - frustrating as that may seem.

Just imagine ... Kelty four times next season!

Maybe even Annan as well ...!

16 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

He has inherited the shite that AJ signed - Jurgen Klopp couldn’t mould these useless fuckers into a winning team.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

Dougie Imrie has done just that with a similar squad of utter jobbers under Gus McPherson's management.

Well, VT could be right there, only time will tell how that pans out long term although DI's made a decent start which can't be denied.  Of course the potential flaw in VT's argument is the assumption that the Ton's squad of utter jobbers is of a similar quality to Queens squad of utter jobbers and I think that given the evidence there is a good argument to say that DI had more to play with and even DI might have struggled with our galacticos.

I'm just thinking now about next season. We only have McKay, Chima, Cochrane, Todd and Paton signed up for next year. So again we have a rebuild this summer. Do we think the BOD will give WG the job if we almost definitely go down. He has a lot of contacts I would imagine in the game. Do we want to keep any of the other players in the squad that has had a really poor season this year. East Rae Connelly McGrory Fitzpatrick have proved they can play at this level  this year I think and I would like them to stay but it all went quiet after Todd and McKay signed up. Nditi started the season superbly but tailed of and fell out of favour but there could be a good player if played in his right position and he can cut out the errors. To me guys like Junior,Roy, Joseph, Cooper, Debayo would be better leaving. Liddle, Cameron, Johnston, Gordon and O'Connor will all go back to parent clubs. We need to get hunger back into the squad for a fight to get back to the championship as their will be a lot of team throwing a lot of money about for players.

Edited by Manwithnoball

8 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

I'm just thinking now about next season. We only have McKay, Chima, Cochrane, Todd and Paton signed up for next year. So again we have a rebuild this summer. Do we think the BOD will give WG the job if we almost definitely go down. He has a lot of contacts I would imagine in the game. Do we want to keep any of the other players in the squad that has had a really poor season this year. East Rae Connelly McGrory have proved they can play at this level  this year I think and I would like them to stay but it all went quiet after Todd and McKay signed up. Nditi started the season superbly but tailed of and fell out of favour but there could be a good player if played in his right position and he can cut out the errors. To me guys like Junior,Roy, Joseph, Cooper, Debayo would be better leaving. Liddle, Cameron, Johnston, Gordon and O'Connor will all go back to parent clubs. We need to get hunger back into the squad for a fight to get back to the championship as their will be a lot of team throwing a lot of money about for players.

I'm sure WG and the BOD are already looking at various player options for next season's squad and talking to agents.

I'm also sure that the BOD won't be totally decided on WG at this point ... they will be checking out possible alternatives to WG as well.  I'm not saying that it won't be WG - but all options will be open at this point.

All the focus will be on next season now.

For me:-

KEEP

Connolly
Fitzpatrick
McGrory
McKechnie
East
Rae
Cooper

CHUCK - I'll be quite fizzing if any of them are re-signed tbh.

Roy
Debayo
Joseph
Junior

Wouldn't want any of the loans back. The defence has leaked goals all season but WG has certainly tightened it up back there so the addition of one or two might be enough for L1. Still undecided on N'Diti. I'd probably like him to stay but wouldn't be devastated if he goes.