The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

Posted along these lines in the match thread but late goals have really cost us this season. From a winning or drawing position, we’ve lost 19 points from a losing or drawing position we’ve gained 4 points. Hope this is right
Points lost
Thistle A 85 mins - 1
Killie H 91 mins - 1
Accies H 74 mins - 1
ICT A 81mins - 1
Ayr A 73 and 79 mins - 3
Accies A 76 mins - 1
Raith H 72 mins - 2
Arbroath A 67 mins - 2
Dunfermline A 88 mins - 2
Morton A 80 and 81 mins - 3
Thistle A 82 mins - 1
Killie A 81 mins - 1

Points gained
Dunfermline H 85 mins +2
ICT A 77mins +1
Raith A 85 mins +1

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

Posted along these lines in the match thread but late goals have really cost us this season. From a winning or drawing position, we’ve lost 19 points from a losing or drawing position we’ve gained 4 points. Hope this is right
Points lost
Thistle A 85 mins - 1
Killie H 91 mins - 1
Accies H 74 mins - 1
ICT A 81mins - 1
Ayr A 73 and 79 mins - 3
Accies A 76 mins - 1
Raith H 72 mins - 2
Arbroath A 67 mins - 2
Thistle A 82 mins - 1
Killie A 81 mins - 1

Points gained
Dunfermline H 85 mins +2
ICT A 77mins +1
Raith A 85 mins +1

Certainly a stark way of looking at things. Appears to be a worrying trend.

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

We are getting  back to  just losing games again  exactly the same as AJ..

3 games now  where we should have got at least a point but got nothing .

We just don't have the experience or bottle to hold out for a point .back into relegation  form  again .

Dunfermline look to be hitting form just at the right time 

I wouldn't say the Pars are showing any form. They looked a good bit better last night against Morton with Dom Thomas back in the team after injury.

Although Killie had 3 times the amount of chances than Queens today, only half were on target and Rae had a few decent one-on-one saves in the first half especially. 

Queens played a lot better in the 2nd especially just before Roy's equaliser when Cochrane got on as a sub and for the next 10 minutes.

Josh Todd appeared to be fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Gavin Duncan waved play on and Killie counter-attacked to score the winner.

57 minutes ago, Flash said:

Points lost
Thistle A 85 mins - 1
Killie H 91 mins - 1
Accies H 74 mins - 1
ICT A 81mins - 1
Ayr A 73 and 79 mins - 3
Accies A 76 mins - 1
Raith H 72 mins - 2
Arbroath A 67 mins - 2
Thistle A 82 mins - 1
Killie A 81 mins - 1

Points gained
Dunfermline H 85 mins +2
ICT A 77mins +1
Raith A 85 mins +1

I was thinking to myself that we've lost a few significant late goals - in 2 of our latest 3 successive defeats for instance.

As ever, the stats do paint a stark overall picture.  I suppose it's to be expected that any side at the wrong end of the table will have lost more goals and points at any stages of matches than is typical.  However, even allowing for that, it seems extreme.

I don't know whether or not It's a symptom of that tendency we all recognise to get deep and panicky.  Either way, losing goals in the last ten minutes or so, goes a long way to explaining why we're in such trouble.

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

We are getting  back to  just losing games again  exactly the same as AJ..

3 games now  where we should have got at least a point but got nothing .

We just don't have the experience or bottle to hold out for a point .back into relegation  form  again .

Dunfermline look to be hitting form just at the right time 

You shouldn't have been close to a point today. Game should have been wrapped at ht

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was thinking to myself that we've lost a few significant late goals - in 2 of our latest 3 successive defeats for instance.

As ever, the stats do paint a stark overall picture.  I suppose it's to be expected that any side at the wrong end of the table will have lost more goals and points at any stages of matches than is typical.  However, even allowing for that, it seems extreme.

I don't know whether or not It's a symptom of that tendency we all recognise to get deep and panicky.  Either way, losing goals in the last ten minutes or so, goes a long way to explaining why we're in such trouble.

Doesn't really matter when a team loses goals whether it's in the first or last minutes of any game...

1 hour ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

I wouldn't say the Pars are showing any form. They looked a good bit better last night against Morton with Dom Thomas back in the team after injury.

Although Killie had 3 times the amount of chances than Queens today, only half were on target and Rae had a few decent one-on-one saves in the first half especially. 

Queens played a lot better in the 2nd especially just before Roy's equaliser when Cochrane got on as a sub and for the next 10 minutes.

Josh Todd appeared to be fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Gavin Duncan waved play on and Killie counter-attacked to score the winner.

I haven't seen it back, but I thought Todd was far too obvious in trying to buy a free kick and went down too easily, so no surprise that the ref waved play on.  I think he had a teammate to his left who he could have laid the ball off to and continued his run into the box, and we had another player chasing in on Todd's right hand side too.

I like Todd, but he hasn't played well at all since being made captain.

Midfield is still a problem.  Joseph ran about a lot but his game was summed up when he went on a run and tripped over the ball while under no pressure whatsoever.  Gordon did hee-haw again and it was left to Gibson to be our main creative outlet.  Let's hope Cochrane is fully match fit as we improved dramatically after his introduction and we could do with him playing every minute from now until the end of the season,

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Aye, it could just be down to being generally rubbish. But if you look at the goals for and against in 15 minute periods of the game, you’d think a poor team’s minus goal difference would be quite evenly spread. Our stats of net goals for and against are 
0-15 mins - plus 1
16 - 30 mins - minus 6
31 - 45 mins - even
46 - 60 mins - plus 5
61 - 75 mins - minus 1
76 - 90 mins - minus 13

So I think it is definitely a thing. The entire negative goal difference of minus 14 has come from goals scored after the hour mark with 13 of them between 76 and 90 mins. Not sure what the cause is. Could be a mental weakness or lack of fitness. Or a combination.

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Aye, it could just be down to being generally rubbish. But if you look at the goals for and against in 15 minute periods of the game, you’d think a poor team’s minus goal difference would be quite evenly spread. Our stats of net goals for and against are 
0-15 mins - plus 1
16 - 30 mins - minus 6
31 - 45 mins - even
46 - 60 mins - plus 5
61 - 75 mins - minus 1
76 - 90 mins - minus 13

So I think it is definitely a thing. The entire negative goal difference of minus 14 has come from goals scored after the hour mark with 13 of them between 76 and 90 mins. Not sure what the cause is. Could be a mental weakness or lack of fitness. Or a combination.

That is pretty telling.

We're clearly particularly weak late in games.  

I'd tend not to cite a lack of physical fitness, but I suppose it could be that.  I'd guess though that it's got more to do with just that brittle aspect that we've become used to.  There does seem to be something intrinsically fragile about us as a team.

It probably also owes much to the fact that in lots of matches, we seem to be gamely hanging on for much of the time.  The pressure we endure, eventually tends to tell.

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That is pretty telling.

We're clearly particularly weak late in games.  

I'd tend not to cite a lack of physical fitness, but I suppose it could be that.  I'd guess though that it's got more to do with just that brittle aspect that we've become used to.  There does seem to be something intrinsically fragile about us as a team.

It probably also owes much to the fact that in lots of matches, we seem to be gamely hanging on for much of the time.  The pressure we endure, eventually tends to tell.

Probably if you look at possession stats Queens won’t have the ball as much which usually means using up more energy chasing after it (certain players excepted). And probably also if you’re not used to winning, or hanging on for a draw, each time it doesn’t happen makes the next one even less likely as you get more nervous, so it almost becomes self-fulfilling.
Had a quick look at Dunfermline and Ayr’s goal timings. Dunfermline are similar to us but not as bad, minus 6 in the last 15 mins compared with minus 13. Ayr are actually even in the last 15 mins and plus 6 in the 61 to 75 min period. Their negative goal difference arises from the first hour of games.

24 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Has there been any other news about WG signing anyone up for next year. Surely Rae must be in his thoughts as he has proved himself since Sol left. Understand players will want to stay in Championship if we lose our fight. 

If we lose our fight to stay in the Championship WG will surely not be the  manager next sesaon.

On contracts since Josh Todd has signed his extension his form has gone downhill.

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

If we lose our fight to stay in the Championship 

Are we fighting enough? Is it me or do we not have a mean streak this season. I don't think we have has as many booking or sending offs as we normally do. Does this mean we are too timid with not enough toughness

On 19/03/2022 at 17:30, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Explain the Dunfermline hitting form to me.

Unlucky not to beat Morton on Friday night .

They are playing Thistle   off the park tonight.

On this form they will  catch Ayr.

Not looking good for  us.