The Queen of the South thread

16 minutes ago, temps15 said:

seems like the board want out, and are passing the buck to any new guys that want to come in.

Well that is the way i read some answers

That’s the Queens Trust put back in their box. 

12. How much money in the last 3 years has QoS FC paid to businesses owned by the chairman?
13. The land that the chairman bought from Queens when this was later sold by the chairman did the profit made get returned to the club? If so in what financial year?
14. Does all income rent etc generated from the Queens Arena get paid directly to Queen of the South FC?

The three questions above appear to call into question the integrity of the Chairman, and by extension, the two other Directors. The reality is that businesses owned by the Chairman have subsidised club expenditure to the tune of several hundred thousand pounds per annum in recent years.

Aye that's the super defensive ones, I thought.

12. How much money in the last 3 years has QoS FC paid to businesses owned by the chairman?
13. The land that the chairman bought from Queens when this was later sold by the chairman did the profit made get returned to the club? If so in what financial year?
14. Does all income rent etc generated from the Queens Arena get paid directly to Queen of the South FC?

The three questions above appear to call into question the integrity of the Chairman, and by extension, the two other Directors. The reality is that businesses owned by the Chairman have subsidised club expenditure to the tune of several hundred thousand pounds per annum in recent years.

seems like the board want out, and are passing the buck to any new guys that want to come in.
Well that is the way i read some answers

Yeah I was a bit underwhelmed too with a lack of specifics. No plans to increase the size of the board but all board members looking to jump ship. Not all that reassuring. Would have been nice to hear of some progress being made in that area. Have to say I simply disagree that a board of 3 is good as it aids quick decision making. If it’s the wrong decision, the speed isn’t really relevant, and sacking the manager at this point in a poor season can’t really go down as a quick fire decision.

Yeah I was a bit underwhelmed too with a lack of specifics. No plans to increase the size of the board but all board members looking to jump ship. Not all that reassuring. Would have been nice to hear of some progress being made in that area. Have to say I simply disagree that a board of 3 is good as it aids quick decision making. If it’s the wrong decision, the speed isn’t really relevant, and sacking the manager at this point in a poor season can’t really go down as a quick fire decision.
Raith had 6 board members and a CEO.

Not sure I blame them for being defensive about basically being accused of fraud!

Disappointed in the answer to the last question, though. I don't think there's any real issue with the communication about important things but the general engagement with fans definitely needs improvement. Doesn't even really acknowledge that, which is a shame.

4 hours ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Very direct questions yes, but questions that shareholders would legitimately ask of any business they have invested in.

The reply rightly states the directors opinion as to their reading of why those questions were submitted and why they may not wish to answer them in a public forum, and it is understandable why they may not wish to divulge figures.

However a simple yes/no response to questions 13 or 14 would have put the issue to bed.  Instead, the failure to answer and deflective second sentence of the board's reply suggests that there is something they don't want to tell people.  The abrupt, touchy tone of response certainly doesn't help and gives the impression that a nerve has been pressed.

Hopefully the person(s) who posed the questions have been given satisfactory answers privately.

Edited by Slipmat

Maybe should spend more of there time trying to work closer with the board and build some sort of relationship rather than constantly going on about getting a fan on board. You need to have some financial clout which was pretty evident after the shoddy showing at last AGM at the nith. I agree we need someone new for some freshness, but just appointing someone for sake of it.

Since Wullie has taken over the info we received at the beginning of the week was really refreshing, hoping tomorrow match preview is something similar. Makes me think Johnston was more the issue than anyone.

Since Wullie has taken over the info we received at the beginning of the week was really refreshing, hoping tomorrow match preview is something similar. Makes me think Johnston was more the issue than anyone.

The last question about communication was a bit too vague I thought. I felt the BoD answered it fairly in regards to them: sometimes there isn't anything to say. But for me the communication I'm more interested in is signings and player progress. Recently it's been complete guesswork as to where injured players are for example. As you say, Gibson's update was spot on and I think the BoD/club officials need to realise that even a small and basic thing like that will go a long way with fans.

One of the questions that made me laugh was in regards to the state of the stadium. The BoD said that there is a cleaning routine on match days but can't always be done because of the seagull problem. We all know those vermin are notorious but some parts of the ground is covered in layered birdshit. If it was being kept on top of it wouldn't get to such a state. Surely a power wash every fortnight or month wouldn't be too big an operation?

9 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Maybe should spend more of there time trying to work closer with the board and build some sort of relationship rather than constantly going on about getting a fan on board. You need to have some financial clout which was pretty evident after the shoddy showing at last AGM at the nith. I agree we need someone new for some freshness, but just appointing someone for sake of it.

The Trust do a great job in the community and on social media, i think them and the board should sit down more try and get a closer relationship then maybe have a fan representative on the board, the fans need a voice closer to the board as there is still no SLO been appointed but even then they seemed too have got nowhere with the board so maybe its the boards fault that the relationship with the trust isn't as good.

43 minutes ago, the tactician said:

The Trust do a great job in the community and on social media, i think them and the board should sit down more try and get a closer relationship then maybe have a fan representative on the board, the fans need a voice closer to the board as there is still no SLO been appointed but even then they seemed too have got nowhere with the board so maybe its the boards fault that the relationship with the trust isn't as good.

The Trust never do themselves any favours and some of those questions haven’t helped matters IMO. They’ll never learn. 

If we ever get ‘ fan representation’ on the board then hopefully it’s a well known and well respected supporter and not someone from the Trust. 

The fact the club has their own community trust now seems to have devalued a lot of what the actual fans trust do in the community, that coupled with the Tanner fund taking donations to fund the club the trust maybe have to re-look at what they want to achieve going forward.

If it is truely fan representation, surely some kind of fund like the Tanner fund where people donate to buy a stake in the club. But IMO the people involved with the trust are more suited to the community stuff, so the fan representation is on the back burner at the minute.

24 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

If it is truely fan representation, surely some kind of fund like the Tanner fund where people donate to buy a stake in the club.

From memory, that was the stated aim of the Queens Trust when it was started, and they held a fundraiser in the last 18 months or so with a view to buying more shares in the club. As the AGM answers state, though, any shares which have become available since then have been purchased by the directors. 

Just now, Priti priti priti Patel said:

From memory, that was the stated aim of the Queens Trust when it was started, and they held a fundraiser in the last 18 months or so with a view to buying more shares in the club. As the AGM answers state, though, any shares which have become available since then have been purchased by the directors. 

I donated to that now you mention it!

Would personally prefer an ongoing thing, where the Trust can say we have this much income per year to support the club.

2 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

That may be true to an extent, although the likes of myself and others have donated part of their shares to the Queens Trust....

I actually thought the comms answer from them was one of the worst.

I don't think there's much of a jump from 'we haven't anything to say' to 'we haven't been doing anything'.

There's a way to frame that without using those words.

'The board is always working hard to improve matters on and off the field. Some of these issues aren't always easiest to communicate and often we rely on volunteers when it comes to communication methods. We do acknowledge that at times our communications to supporters could be better. This week we were pleased to see a full update from new manager, including injury update. We hope to be able to continue these updates in coming months'.

Or something like that.

The last question about communication was a bit too vague I thought. I felt the BoD answered it fairly in regards to them: sometimes there isn't anything to say. But for me the communication I'm more interested in is signings and player progress. Recently it's been complete guesswork as to where injured players are for example. As you say, Gibson's update was spot on and I think the BoD/club officials need to realise that even a small and basic thing like that will go a long way with fans.

One of the questions that made me laugh was in regards to the state of the stadium. The BoD said that there is a cleaning routine on match days but can't always be done because of the seagull problem. We all know those vermin are notorious but some parts of the ground is covered in layered birdshit. If it was being kept on top of it wouldn't get to such a state. Surely a power wash every fortnight or month wouldn't be too big an operation?

Does it say that? I read it as the directors can buy shares and have done so on two occasions, not that they had bought everything available.
I actually thought the comms answer from them was one of the worst.

I don't think there's much of a jump from 'we haven't anything to say' to 'we haven't been doing anything'.

There's a way to frame that without using those words.

'The board is always working hard to improve matters on and off the field. Some of these issues aren't always easiest to communicate and often we rely on volunteers when it comes to communication methods. We do acknowledge that at times our communications to supporters could be better. This week we were pleased to see a full update from new manager, including injury update. We hope to be able to continue these updates in coming months'.

Or something like that.
I think the key word in the statement is "important". I don't think it's that nothing is happening, it's that what's happening is just seen as "normal" and therefore not "important" enough to mention.

I don't think it's even a conscious effort to withhold information or exclude the fans, it's just that they don't believe it would be of interest to the fans.

Personally, I think they're wrong and there's lots of things happening that fans would be interested in and should be told about more.