The Queen of the South thread

15 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I’m still trying to get me head round the fact Queens have already admitted they’ll make a 6 figure financial loss next year but haven’t used a £30,000 FREE and no strings attached donation from its supporters. 

Trying add to that the fact that the manager hasn't use all of his budget yet!! beggers belief.

13 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I’m still trying to get me head round the fact Queens have already admitted they’ll make a 6 figure financial loss next year but haven’t used a £30,000 FREE and no strings attached donation from its supporters. 

Certainly seems a strange one to me. On the subject of the Tanner Fund, if its been stopped/suspended what's the situation with donations? Do I stop my Standing Order? Is it still being taken?  I've not had any word from the organisers as far as I'm aware. I'm not on Facebook/Twitter or whatever so no good to me if information is only on there. I've only seen it mentioned on here. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Certainly seems a strange one to me. On the subject of the Tanner Fund, if its been stopped/suspended what's the situation with donations? Do I stop my Standing Order? Is it still being taken?  I've not had any word from the organisers as far as I'm aware. I'm not on Facebook/Twitter or whatever so no good to me if information is only on there. I've only seen it mentioned on here. 

They have asked that all donations are stopped, and they will take suggestions on what to do with the money, and then run a poll of donors. It may be worth emailing the organisers to ask for comms to be sent out by email as well. I have messaged you the email address in case you don't have it.

10 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

They have asked that all donations are stopped, and they will take suggestions on what to do with the money, and then run a poll of donors. It may be worth emailing the organisers to ask for comms to be sent out by email as well. I have messaged you the email address in case you don't have it.

Much appreciated, thanks for that. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have to say I feel a bit sorry for O'Connor. The guy doesn't seem to have played much in the way of first team football and he's thrown in amongst our rabble. But aside from that he's playing in a defence with about as much experience as him. East is better at CB than CF for me but he's still new to the role. Gibson has done ok in there but he isn't a CB either.

He had a horrible game last night tbh with numerous individual errors but I just think it's harsh throwing the boy to the wolves after a couple of games given the circumstances.

The buck stops with AJ IMO. Why he thought another inexperienced CB would solve our problems baffles me.

The buck does stop with Johnston. But he can’t continue to pick a player after that display. It isn’t throwing him to the wolves. Queens are in no position to be able to carry somebody who is miles short of the required standard. He might improve with games but by that time it will be too late.
I’d also be giving Max Johnston a wee rest. I thought he played a significant part in the first goal by wandering into the middle where he wasn’t required and did nothing. Also wonder where the midfield got to with the scorer running completely unopposed from his own half.
Johnston has managed to take a team that wasn’t defending very well and make it worse. I only saw the highlights but some of the defending was amateur level stuff.

6 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

There's just shy of £1 million cash at bank due to covid grants and Dykes' transfer money, so, whatever the scale of loss, there is already money available to absorb it, likely with some left over.

That wasn’t the explanation from the board, though. They didn’t mention that the club had surplus cash. They said the Tanner Fund money was available to the management team and they couldn’t find a player who was worth spending it on. They didn’t say when it was made available -whether it was the summer or January. 

29 minutes ago, Flash said:

The buck does stop with Johnston. But he can’t continue to pick a player after that display. It isn’t throwing him to the wolves. Queens are in no position to be able to carry somebody who is miles short of the required standard. He might improve with games but by that time it will be too late.
I’d also be giving Max Johnston a wee rest. I thought he played a significant part in the first goal by wandering into the middle where he wasn’t required and did nothing. Also wonder where the midfield got to with the scorer running completely unopposed from his own half.
Johnston has managed to take a team that wasn’t defending very well and make it worse. I only saw the highlights but some of the defending was amateur level stuff.

That wasn’t the explanation from the board, though. They didn’t mention that the club had surplus cash. They said the Tanner Fund money was available to the management team and they couldn’t find a player who was worth spending it on. They didn’t say when it was made available -whether it was the summer or January. 

You expect AJ to admit he has made a mistake with his recruitment. What you say about O'Connor is exactly what he is doing to Nditi. He has destroyed that young lads confidence so much. From the high of his excellent man marking on Burke to subbed at half time against Dunfermline as the manager constantly plays him everywhere bar his CB position. The chance of Max being left it out is 0. As he has played almost every minute he has been available although it took our POTY out of his best position to shoehorn him in. If he was one of our signed players he would have been taken out of the team countless times. O'Connor is no better than Debayo at the back. As other posters have said we need players that will improve us not keep us the same. We have a large s quad now everyone is for bar Chima, Cochrane and McKay. Will the Board allow any more loan signings in Feb without some moving out. 

Edited by Manwithnoball

43 minutes ago, Flash said:

Indeed, I was just responding to the comment that the Tanner Fund should have been used due to us incurring sizeable losses, when in fact on a two-year basis there will be minimal losses at most. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

11 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

You expect AJ to admit he has made a mistake with his recruitment. What you say about O'Connor is exactly what he is doing to Nditi. He has destroyed that young lads confidence so much. From the high of his excellent man marking on Burke to subbed at half time against Dunfermline as the manager constantly plays him everywhere bar his CB position. The chance of Max being left it out is 0. As he has played almost every minute he has been available although it took our POTY out of his best position to shoehorn him in. If he was one of our signed players he would have been taken out of the team countless times. O'Connor is no better than Debayo at the back. As other posters have said we need players that will improve us not keep us the same. We have a large s quad now everyone is for bar Chima, Cochrane and McKay. Will the Board allow any more loan signings in Feb without some moving out. 

No, I don’t expect that at all. And I know that Max Johnston is the first name on the teamsheet. I posted what I wanted to happen but didn’t think there was any chance it would.  I probably should have made that clearer.
I would like Queens to sack Johnston and stay up. I expect they will keep him and be relegated.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I read yesterday there’s another announcement and a poll to released soon. 

Quite uncomfortable with the idea of a poll that anyone can vote on. It would be a lot better to poll donors only using contact information supplied or by asking donors to get in contact. 

There's also an issue that the "hold donations" vote is split between two options. I would assume anyone who votes for "hold funds and keep receiving donations" would also support "hold funds and suspend donations" over the charity option. 

I've just checked and you can also vote more than once from the same device (I won't go into how, but it's not difficult to work out). 

I'm not best pleased the board have put the Tanner Fund in this position by failing to communicate with them, but I'm not sure this is the right way to move forward. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

11 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Quite uncomfortable with the idea of a poll that anyone can vote on. It would be a lot better to poll donors only using contact information supplied or by asking donors to get in contact. 

There's also an issue that the "hold donations" vote is split between two options. I would assume anyone who votes for "hold funds and keep receiving donations" would also support "hold funds and suspend donations" over the charity option. 

I've just checked and you can also vote more than once from the same device (I won't go into how, but it's not difficult to work out). 

I'm not best pleased the board have put the Tanner Fund in this position by failing to communicate with them, but I'm not sure this is the right way to move forward. 

I’ve just voted and after the failures from the BOD’s to communication properly with the fund I’ll be asking for all my contributions back. 

I’m disappointed it’s come to this TBH. All the club had to do was use the cash to sign a player ( Paton for example ) and show the supporters and the tanner Fund they wanted to work together with them just like to AYR UNITED AU500 have done. 
It’s irrelevant if they have cash in the bank imo. 

Yet another PR disaster 🙄

I draw comparison with the generous annual donations by The Barflies which the Club accept irrespective of the state of the Clubs finances. I'm aware that the Barflies donations are given towards Youth Development, but I don't see the problem in accepting the Tanner Club's money towards the playing budget in a similar way. If  I've picked it up correctly, I'm astounded that the club (or Johnston) say they can't identify a player to spend the money on. I've generally been fairly supportive of the Chairman/Board but the way they treat supporters who want to help the club is getting beyond a joke. I'm sure any other Club would bite your hand off for any supporter donations. 

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

From the tanner fund original facebook announcement:

Each and everyone person that has contributed has been amazing and we thank you all for buying into the vision. We now will move to set up a poll for those of you who contributed to decide exactly what we now do with the funds, and if you please could all contact your banks to cancel any direct debit/standing order.
Choices of the poll we believe should be….
A) All monthly contributions will be sent back to the individual (sadly fundraiser/raffle monies can’t be returned)
B ) Funds will be donated to another fund
C) Open to discussion
Please do not reply to a choice as we will create a real poll but giving you the idea of what choices we have. We do not believe that there should be a choice of donating to the club however as they have not wanted the cash previously and donating would be morally wrong. If you would like your cash back as a matter of choice however please send us a PM to the page and we will make this happen.

ETA - apologies if this has all been covered in previous replies.
Edited by Slipmat

10 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

I see Falkirk have offered Leigh Griffiths £1500 per week to help with their promotion push. Thats around £25,000 til the end of the season. If only Queens had money like that lying around……

St Mirren also interested in him...

If we were to throw that kind of money around I'd much rather we went for a CM that's doesn't become invisible or a CB with a bit more experience in that role.

Cameron is a far better option in the system AJ is sticking within than Griffiths anyway.