The Queen of the South thread

Again, like at ICT recently, it's a decent enough point in itself.  I suppose it's yet possible that such a point could prove crucial at the end.

The reality though is that we need wins, two or three of them close together.  There's still little sign of that arriving.

A point in away games is only really considered decent because the assumption is that home games will often be won.  As we know, though, that's not really our thing.  

With our record, getting something from a game in which we were well behind early on and then fell behind again late on, is to be welcomed though.

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

By Christ we are absolutely horrendous defensively. Our shape is horrific at times also. Good battle to bring it back but give ourselves a mountain to climb. Clean sheets are the name of the game

Not necessarily comparing like with like but that is 12 goals conceded in the last 5 games. In the same games in the first half of the season, we conceded 5.
Even ignoring the comparison, 12 in 5 is the equivalent of conceding 86 in a season.

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Not necessarily comparing like with like but that is 12 goals conceded in the last 5 games. In the same games in the first half of the season, we conceded 5.
Even ignoring the comparison, 12 in 5 is the equivalent of conceding 86 in a season.

While he's no star, for me , McKay is comfortably our best defender. Unlike most of the others he at least seems to do the basics to an adequte level. Him being injured for a while now has made us worse.

Damned with faint praise I know, but there we are. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

46 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

We lose far to many soft goals AJ will say it again in his interview .

We need at least one experienced centre half can't believe we signed another Motherwell reserve and expect him to make a difference .

O'Connor made a difference in that we looked even worse defensively than we have all season!  Tonight he was a total bombscare - gave away the penalty, was over physical throughout and launched hopeless long ball after hopeless long ball, often into the stand.  The defending was so poor that an inevitable formation change was made with Wullie, not known for his central defensive qualities, having to be brought back into the middle of a back three.  We desperately need McKay back asap, he's not immune to the odd mistake but on the whole is reliable and consistent, but from what I've heard he is still weeks away from a return.

Liddle and Gordon offered nothing aside from their goals, and again we could do with Cochrane and/or McGrory (why has he been dropped?) back in the middle as they at least get involved and offer some creativity.

Looking at the positives, Cameron was a pest all night, never gave the Raith defence a moments peace and was my Queens MOTM.  If we can get him to work in a pairing with Connelly there will be goals.  Todd did well too in the first half before dropping deeper due to the aforementioned formation change. 

Yes, have to agree that young O’Connor struggled tonight again. Gave away a daft penalty and I think he was at fault for their 3rd goal when he missed his header. It seems that none of our January signings have made us any better, which is a really bad omen for us staying up.
Cameron battled away well tonight and Todd and Connolly were bright in the 1st half. As others have said, Willie had to go into central defence to shore it up for the 2nd half and this made our midfield even weaker for the 2nd half.
We sneaked a point at a tough venue, but it’s depressing to think the january window has come & gone and we havent improved the squad for the run in.

AJ must sign a decent CB before Saturday this is the least he and the board coukd do for the fans because with the CB's we have just now the club is definitely going down a league. Said whem McKay got injured we needed 2 decent CB preferably one experienced... 

4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ must sign a decent CB before Saturday this is the least he and the board coukd do for the fans because with the CB's we have just now the club is definitely going down a league. Said whem McKay got injured we needed 2 decent CB preferably one experienced... 

Are we not past the signing deadline of 31st January or are loan signings still allowed?

7 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

He has Nditi who when he has played in his natural position has looked better than any of the guys who have played there bar McKay. Bit for some reason AJ sees him better in midfield 🤯.

AJ has had the full transfer window to get an experienced CB in and he signs another Motherwell reserve. Gordon's goal was a cracker but to be honest he has to contribute more to the game as does Liddle. But Thistle fans did warn us. O'Connor looked shot to pieces last night. His tackle for the penalty was not required. I expect Nditi to come in for Gordon. We should have been dead and buried last night but players should a lot of character to get back into game. Agree 3rd goal comes from poor play by Paton but we should have still had enough behind ball to deal with it. Josh Rae kept us in the game with some good saves including the penalty. It will be a tough game against Thistle on Saturday who seem to know how to win and Brian Graham against our fragile defence is worrying.

Edited by Manwithnoball

We are desperate for a experienced centre half..

I could see on Saturday that O,Connor was no better than what we have once again he has very little  experience. 

We will go down with the  defence we   have not matter how many goals we score 

N'diti, Debayo or O'Connor are all capable of doing daft things defensively, like needless tackles, conceding stupid penalties, but if they're our only options until McKay returns I'd rather go with N'diti, who was actually signed as a CH was he not. 

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

N'diti, Debayo or O'Connor are all capable of doing daft things defensively, like needless tackles, conceding stupid penalties, but if they're our only options until McKay returns I'd rather go with N'diti, who was actually signed as a CH was he not. 

Surely cant go with O’Connor against Thistle?

Keep the selection simple in a conventional 4-4-2 and go out with a positive outlook.

I would go with :-

Rae

johnston Gibson East/Nditi Cooper

Folarin  McGrory  Gordon  Todd

Connelly   Cameron

24 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Surely cant go with O’Connor against Thistle?

Keep the selection simple in a conventional 4-4-2 and go out with a positive outlook.

I would go with :-

Rae

johnston Gibson East/Nditi Cooper

Folarin  McGrory  Gordon  Todd

Connelly   Cameron

Gordon cant play against his parent club

Have to say I feel a bit sorry for O'Connor. The guy doesn't seem to have played much in the way of first team football and he's thrown in amongst our rabble. But aside from that he's playing in a defence with about as much experience as him. East is better at CB than CF for me but he's still new to the role. Gibson has done ok in there but he isn't a CB either.

He had a horrible game last night tbh with numerous individual errors but I just think it's harsh throwing the boy to the wolves after a couple of games given the circumstances.

The buck stops with AJ IMO. Why he thought another inexperienced CB would solve our problems baffles me.

I assume Folarin will need to be played at some point, otherwise he will be recalled by Middlesborough? He had a terrible 45 minutes against Dunfermline but surely there must be a decent player in there? Surely?!?

Also shout out to Euan East, he’s being played out of his preferred position but has generally done well.   And it must be hard in the defence when our midfield always seems to me overrun. 

16 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I’m still trying to get me head round the fact Queens have already admitted they’ll make a 6 figure financial loss next year but haven’t used a £30,000 FREE and no strings attached donation from its supporters. 

There's just shy of £1 million cash at bank due to covid grants and Dykes' transfer money, so, whatever the scale of loss, there is already money available to absorb it, likely with some left over.