The Queen of the South thread

16 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

Wilson has played about 2 games in a year. Is he fit?

If he was fit, he'd be in our team in a heartbeat.  I can only imagine the reason we've released him is that he's nowhere near getting over his injury problems. 

Which, if true, is a huge shame as he was a fine player on his day. 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

If he was fit, he'd be in our team in a heartbeat.  I can only imagine the reason we've released him is that he's nowhere near getting over his injury problems. 

Yeah, I thought Wilson was decent on his first spell with Queens too.  Always a shame when injuries cut a player's career short.

We're all pretty hacked off with this season, but I doubt anything will change.  I think the main participants will play their (it's the financial constraints that's the real problem) card:

- The BOD will be thinking it's too costly to jettison AJ and his team, they're on two year contracts etc etc

- AJ's defence will be .... well I got the lowest budget in the division, so had to shop around for bargain basement players - so what do you expect?

Sorry in advance folks, I guess that my glass is half empty this morning!

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

On team selection - it's interesting (though not surprising given it was similar last season) that we've only had the same starting 11 for a maximum of 3 (league) games in a row this season (2 separate occasions). Given our squad size that's pretty impressive. You'd expect to be able to know who's starting week to week given we don't have much of a choice. But to me it screams AJ STILL hasn't a clue what his best starting 11 is.

It seems every season now we hear "It's almost a brand new squad, we need to give them time to gel". How in the name of christ do they gel if it's chopped and changed every weekend?!

And last season the team didn’t suddenly gel at the end of December. It was far more to do with Dobbie getting injured. The decent run started after Shields became the main striker, although there was one defeat immediately after the change. Johnston deserves credit for bringing Jones in and he also made a significant contribution before his hamstring injury. 
Those were the main things that made a difference last season, imo. And I think we needed both of them. If one had happened without the other, then I think we would have been relegated, partly because Shields was out for a spell just after Jones signed. And although they played in different positions, if Jones hadn’t been there, I don’t think we would have got enough points to stay up.

Is it the lowest? Agree with what you say re excuses. But can't imagine Ayr and Morton have much more.

Ultimately, recruitment hasn't been good enough though. Whether we have lowest budget or not, what cash we have hasn't been spent well.

I still think the biggest problem is the constant tinkering of the team. It never also looks like players know what they are meant to be doing. Like us, they probably spend most of games trying to work out the formation.

We're all pretty hacked off with this season, but I doubt anything will change.  I think the main participants will play their (it's the financial constraints that's the real problem) card:
- The BOD will be thinking it's too costly to jettison AJ and his team, they're on two year contracts etc etc
- AJ's defence will be .... well I got the lowest budget in the division, so had to shop around for bargain basement players - so what do you expect?
Sorry in advance folks, I guess that my glass is half empty this morning!

Is it the lowest? Agree with what you say re excuses. But can't imagine Ayr and Morton have much more.

Ultimately, recruitment hasn't been good enough though. Whether we have lowest budget or not, what cash we have hasn't been spent well.

I still think the biggest problem is the constant tinkering of the team. It never also looks like players know what they are meant to be doing. Like us, they probably spend most of games trying to work out the formation.

We’ll have a fairly decent sized budget and will be a good bit more than yours I’d imagine. Our chairman came out and said that we assembled our most expensive squad at this level since the days of Dalziel and Barr. Goes to show that you can have a good amount of money to spend but if you leave it in the hands of a moron then it won’t achieve anything.

43 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ll have a fairly decent sized budget and will be a good bit more than yours I’d imagine. Our chairman came out and said that we assembled our most expensive squad at this level since the days of Dalziel and Barr. Goes to show that you can have a good amount of money to spend but if you leave it in the hands of a moron then it won’t achieve anything.

No way Ayr or Morton budget is a good bit more than ours the likes of Dunfermline budget will be double and more 

Josh Todd a good example both Ayr and Queens wanted he got a better offer from us.

It is how you spend your budget we decided this season to get young players with potential in the hope we could sell them on that has not worked as many of them as just not good enough for this level.

Edited by Greenacres

No way Ayr or Morton budget is a good bit more than ours the likes of Dunfermline budget will be double and more .
Josh Todd a good example both Ayr and Queens wanted he got a better offer from us.
It is how you spend your budget we decided this season to get young players with potential in the hope we could sell them on that has not worked as many of them as just not good enough for this level.

I don’t see how Dunfermline having double your budget means that we also don’t have bigger budget as well. Dunfermline will still be paying more than us as well. I’d be shocked if you’re wage budget is in the same region as ours.

Todd isn’t a good example at all. It’s one player who decided to leave a club that hadn’t really used him that well in his short spell to return to a club that he had previously done quite well with. It’s kind of a no brainer for him when you think about it.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t see how Dunfermline having double your budget means that we also don’t have bigger budget as well. Dunfermline will still be paying more than us as well. I’d be shocked if you’re wage budget is in the same region as ours.

Todd isn’t a good example at all. It’s one player who decided to leave a club that hadn’t really used him that well in his short spell to return to a club that he had previously done quite well with. It’s kind of a no brainer for him when you think about it.

No use responding to Greenacres, he apparently knows every Clubs budget and what every player and Manager gets paid. 

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

This is a shame to read.  His playing style reminded me of Jamie Adams.  I hope he doesn't end up with a similar injury-curtailed career.

I've watched every minute of our competitive games this season for my sins, either in the flesh or on livestream, and like many of us have despaired at the amount of tinkering and formation changes that AJ has done/made.  Out of personal curiosity I've compiled this list of the players who could be described as first team regulars and noted the positions they have been utilised in to illustrate how far away AJ has been from working out where to get the best out of his squad over the course of the season so far.

Brynn / Cowie / Rae   -   GK

Gibson   -   RB / LB / CB / RWB / DM / CM / LWB*

Nditi   -   CB / RB / LB / DM

Connelly   -   AM / LW / RW / CF

Paton   -   RWB / CM / AM / CF / RW / LW / DM

Roy   -   CF / LW

Todd   -   CM / LWB / LW

Junior   -   CF / RW / LW

East   -   CB / LB / CF**

Joseph   -   AM / DM / RW / LW (see below)

McGrory   -   CM / DM

Cooper   -   LB / LWB / RB / CB*

McKay   -   CB / CF**

Cochrane   -   CM / DM / LW*

Debayo   -   LB / LWB / CB

Johnston  -  RB / RWB / AM / LB***

Liddle  -  CM

Fitzpatrick  -  RW / LW

Cameron  -  CF / LW

* denotes that I'm not 100% trusting of my own memory and may have imagined these, but have a nagging feeling they have played here at some point.

** denotes that they were pushed up into a CF role in a last minute desperation tactic

*** includes being switched to LB when Zanatta was roasting him at RB.

Regarding Joseph, I really have no idea where he has meant to have been playing or what he has been told to do at any time he has featured.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of the above!

Edited by Slipmat

I recall Paton being deployed as a defensive midfielder...

I've watched every minute of our competitive games this season for my sins, either in the flesh or on livestream, and like many of us have despaired at the amount of tinkering and formation changes that AJ has done/made.  Out of personal curiosity I've compiled this list of the players who could be described as first team regulars and noted the positions they have been utilised in to illustrate how far away AJ has been from working out where to get the best out of his squad over the course of the season so far.
Brynn / Cowie / Rae   -   GK
Gibson   -   RB / LB / CB / RWB / DM / CM / LWB*
Nditi   -   CB / RB / LB / DM
Connelly   -   AM / LW / RW / CF
Paton   -   RWB / CM / AM / CF / RW / LW / DM
Roy   -   CF / LW
Todd   -   CM / LWB / LW
Junior   -   CF / RW / LW
East   -   CB / LB / CF***
Joseph   -   AM / DM / RW / LW (see below)
McGrory   -   CM / DM
Cooper   -   LB / LWB / RB / CB*
McKay   -   CB / CF***
Cochrane   -   CM / DM / LW*
Debayo   -   LB / LWB / CB
Johnston  -  RB / RWB / AM / LB**
Liddle  -  CM
Fitzpatrick  -  RW / LW
Cameron  -  CF / LW
* denotes that I'm not 100% trusting of my own memory and may have imagined these, but have a nagging feeling they have played here at some point.
** denotes that they were pushed up into a CF role in a last minute desperation tactic
*** includes being switched to LB when Zanatta was roasting him at RB.
Regarding Joseph, I really have no idea where he has meant to have been playing or what he has been told to do at any time he has featured.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of the above!