The Queen of the South thread

30 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Yep, the Rangers vote and Rangers season ticket holder Mark Robertson’s (oh so ironic) comments that those of us critical of the board’s disgraceful decision were ‘not true Queens supporters’ alienated this lifelong (been going to games home and away since 1971) fan from the club for years, as the realisation dawned that the supporters had been, and it seems always will be, treated with utter contempt by the custodians of the club.

I’ve softened my view a bit over the years after not going to a single match for several seasons, and started taking my son to games, ensuring he became a Queens fan (almost all his pals are Hibs fans), but the connection will never be quite the same for me again. The club does seem to be dying a slow death, and needs a injection of fresh blood, enthusiasm and money to stave off falling into lower League irrelevance (or worse) as a host of ambitious clubs (not just Cove and Kelly, but many others over the next couple of decades as the likes of Darvel, Clydebank, Auchinleck Talbot etc.) start to filter into the leagues. 

I pay my money to stream the games this season, and get to the matches when I can, but the standard of football on display is utterly lamentable. I know some fans seem to rate the current squad and think we’re underachieving, but even my 13-year-old son tears his hair out with frustration at the prehistoric long ball rubbish that we almost always revert to playing (the recent cup match against Morton aside, where the passing was uncharacteristically short and crisp, though the now sadly injured Cochrane was instrumental in that) - is this a managerial strategy, or just the default setting of a group of very limited players? Watching this Queens team is painful, it’s hard to believe that they know the objective of the game is to put the ball in the net between the sticks, so utterly incompetent are they of achieving that basic objective. I’ve seen worse Queens teams defensively, but going forward we’re bloody awful (the always industrious Connelly apart), almost as bad was I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying something. I don’t like to single people out, but there are a few players that you think how on Earth did they secure a contract at a Championship club? 

Poor players badly coached playing shit football on a bloody awful plastic pitch in a decaying stadium in front of empty terraces. That’s the reality of it, and it’s hard to see how that changes without changes at board level.

Summed up perfectly 👏🏻 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's more than just yesterday's result though. His record is pretty appalling since his return. I don't know the latest (but given we've rarely won I doubt it'll have improved) but the last time his stats were posted it showed he has a poorer record than Gary Naysmith.

The result yesterday wasn't a shock and the fact we were beaten by Cove wasn't the most infuriating part. It's the fact we never appeared to even look like winning. It's the same shit every single week. If we go 1 down, even after 5 minutes we're as well going home because there's little chance we're coming back.

I don't think our BoD have the spine to sack him. But the next 3 games are absolutely massive. I'm looking for 6 points but if he fails to take at least 4 and keeps his job the BoD want to do us a favour and f**k off at the end of the season as well.

Started to post something similar but that virtually nails it. I'm not too fussed about going out of the Cup, the money from the Hibs game would have been handy, plus a no bad day out, it's just the manner of how we were so easily  outplayed in almost every department. The buck ultimately stops with the Manager but some of those players need to take a good long hard look at themselves and ask if they're really giving everything they can. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's more than just yesterday's result though. His record is pretty appalling since his return. I don't know the latest (but given we've rarely won I doubt it'll have improved) but the last time his stats were posted it showed he has a poorer record than Gary Naysmith.

The result yesterday wasn't a shock and the fact we were beaten by Cove wasn't the most infuriating part. It's the fact we never appeared to even look like winning. It's the same shit every single week. If we go 1 down, even after 5 minutes we're as well going home because there's little chance we're coming back.

I don't think our BoD have the spine to sack him. But the next 3 games are absolutely massive. I'm looking for 6 points but if he fails to take at least 4 and keeps his job the BoD want to do us a favour and f**k off at the end of the season as well.

Johnston’s league record after 71 games is 1.03 points per game. In the season Naysmith was sacked his was 1.06 ppg.
Queens have conceded the first goal 9 times in all competitions this season. P9 W0 D0 L9.
Since Johnston came back, the league record after conceding first is P32 W1 D1 L30.

your keeper first goal   ......    Seriously  ?

Aye it looks like he got his positioning wrong there. Feel quite bad for him as he's been one of our better players in recent weeks (unfortunately).

I decided to listen to his post match interview and the statement was made by our excellent interviewer - "the two goals at the end were because you were pushing forward" to which AJ responds "yeah". I went to see the highlights expected us to be stung by two counter attacking goals. They both came from a goal kick ffs. Not sure what those two were watching.

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye it looks like he got his positioning wrong there. Feel quite bad for him as he's been one of our better players in recent weeks (unfortunately).

I decided to listen to his post match interview and the statement was made by our excellent interviewer - "the two goals at the end were because you were pushing forward" to which AJ responds "yeah". I went to see the highlights expected us to be stung by two counter attacking goals. They both came from a goal kick ffs. Not sure what those two were watching.

He should have saved the third one as well but he might have slipped on the linoleum.

Think if we lose the next two games (away to Dunfermline and home to Ayr) then a decision has to be made by the Board. Then again perhaps AJ and the Board are about to make a few significant signings in the forthcoming transfer window...okay Santa?

I’ve just had time to read all the comments on social media regarding last nights shambles and it doesn’t  make good reading for our football club. Fans refusing to give Queens another penny until there’s changes at Palmerston. With crowds already on the slide we quite simply can’t afford to sit back and do nothing. Once you’ve lost the fans as much as we have now it’s game over. 

Edited by the_palmy_pie

Been thinking about this since last night and then watching AJ video on the game last night. The man is clueless he says on camera than Joseph is not a centre midfielder but he chooses to play him there. And the plus sign for us is that East is back who he ignored and never played when fit. I now believe our club is going to stick by him no matter what happens. As usual he was complaining about lack of squad options yes the squad he built then saying we need to add some quality in January. Beggars the question why did he not add some quality at the start of the season. Instead of and I quote on Cameron and Roy that they are going to be big players this season for is. Cove have played the same amount of games as us lately and also had limited options on their bench last night. I was flabbergasted how poor we were last night. Not one player can say they played well.

It’s a very low bar but I thought his post match interview last night was one of his better ones. That’s not to say I was impressed by it though.

16 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

The board can afford to get rid of him they definitely can't afford not too... 

Be back to days of sub 500 crowds soon... 

Last five home games have had gates of 964, 941, 525, 1308 and 527.  Compare that to 1408 at the recent Arbroath away game and you can see how much the product on the park affects home gates.  

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Anyone actually thinking AJ will get his jotters today/next few days?

No.  He's like an unflushable turd.

The malaise is undeniable and we are now in quite worrying times.

It's genuinely hard to see a way forward, certainly in the medium term.  Our manager clearly isn't very good, but given his contract situation and the fact that we're still in touch with the sides nearest us, I don't think he's going anywhere.  

That brings us to the boardroom change some are calling for.  That's even harder to envisage than change in the dugout.  Even when people ask who would replace a manager, we know that there will always be applicants.  Who would replace board members though?  It's hard to see a mechanism for such a thing, regardless of whether or not it's desirable.  

Right now, I'd almost take a relegation, a reversion to part-time status and the laying of a grass pitch as a sort of re-set.  I should probably be careful what I wish for, but I'm losing interest in this steady, elongated decline.

Edited by Monkey Tennis