The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I can only assume AJ has photos of the board members in compromising situations.

There can be no other explanation as to how he has clung on to his job for this long.

No, the reason is finances! It costs money to get rid of underperforming managers. 
If Queens won’t buy a tin of paint to spruce the place up they definitely won’t pay severance money!!

9 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

No, the reason is finances! It costs money to get rid of underperforming managers. 
If Queens won’t buy a tin of paint to spruce the place up they definitely won’t pay severance money!!

The worst part is we have a lot of money in the bank.

They'll lose more by keeping him. I won't be the only supporter not bothering my arse to attend from now on. We've already saw fans voice their displeasure by walking. I expect that will continue if he stays.

After last seasons conning of season ticket holders, charging them almost double patg fans for a "free stream ", as well as the Galloway carry on, I found better things to do on a Saturday. 

Tonight I stupidly decided to give them the first money of the season. Wow. Now I know why there is negativity on this thread. Cove were far superior. In the second half especially we didn't have a midfield. Why take Todd off and leave Joseph on? Why have Joseph on at all? Actually there are to many questions to ask.

Just one more, why when everyone is to wash their hands is there no soap in the toilets. We can't even get the basics right. 

Edited by Estreet
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Manwithnoball said:

Why not punt him and put him on garden leave and that saves a lump sum payout, just give him his monthly salary. And hopefully some mug will give him a gig and we could save ourselves some money. 

His contract would still need to be paid up, though. I don’t think anybody would pay to take him, tbh. Although I did read a wee while back that Ireland had a clown shortage.

The board need to consider their own positions too. They may care for  the club, but they are not caring for it.  You just need to look at the state of the ground to see that.

The neglect on and off the pitch has well and truly set in and will be hard to reverse unless it is addressed sooner rather than later. That has to start with people running it.  

If they no longer have the time or energy to run the club properly then they should do the decent thing and step down. If they do have the desire to take the club forward then they need to show it. 

There is a profound malaise at our club. The leadership provided from the top is dreadful. The squad of players assembled by the manager with a few exceptions is piss poor and mentally weak. Our record when going a goal down is beyond dismal. Football fans are fickle and the nature of football forums is that negativity will always be obvious but I’m struggling to think of a time when more of our support seemed so disillusioned and even disinterested now. It’s sad to see.
And yet we still have a chance to save our championship status. This says more about the dreadful standard of many of the squads involved as reflected in the quite honestly amazing points difference between 5th and 6th place.

33 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

The board need to consider their own positions too. They may care for  the club, but they are not caring for it.  You just need to look at the state of the ground to see that.

The neglect on and off the pitch has well and truly set in and will be hard to reverse unless it is addressed sooner rather than later. That has to start with people running it.  

If they no longer have the time or energy to run the club properly then they should do the decent thing and step down. If they do have the desire to take the club forward then they need to show it. 

But according to Skyline there’s nothing wrong with the ground apart from the Terregles Street end!!

It’s that attitude from people right at the heart of the club that goes to prove that they are not interested in taking the club forward and are happy to treat the fans with utter contempt.

The rot and aloofness from the fans has been slowly setting in for seasons now. Ever since the arrival of Mark Robertson the whole aura surrounding the club changed. 

Drastic changes are required to reverse the slow demise of a once proud club before its too late and this has to start at the very top.

The league's clearly split into a top half and bottom half. Of the bottom half only yourselves haven't punted a manager yet and, with Falkirk doing the same last weekend, you'd be looking at the dregs of available managers and fighting against two other full time teams looking at the same dungheap. No-one else in the bottom half is gonna pull away and leave ye marooned no matter what haddie you have in charge because we're all so shite so might be worthwhile holding off to see if anyone decent becomes available in the next month or so. 

On the other hand ye'd probably want someone else in before the transfer window shuts and, if no-one becomes available, that shitstack of managers is just gonna look even worse if Morton and Falkirk get someone semi-competent from it. 

18 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The league's clearly split into a top half and bottom half. Of the bottom half only yourselves haven't punted a manager yet and, with Falkirk doing the same last weekend, you'd be looking at the dregs of available managers and fighting against two other full time teams looking at the same dungheap. No-one else in the bottom half is gonna pull away and leave ye marooned no matter what haddie you have in charge because we're all so shite so might be worthwhile holding off to see if anyone decent becomes available in the next month or so. 

On the other hand ye'd probably want someone else in before the transfer window shuts and, if no-one becomes available, that shitstack of managers is just gonna look even worse if Morton and Falkirk get someone semi-competent from it. 

If they sack Johnston (which they won’t) they will appoint Gibson, either until the end of the season (when they will try to get Dobbie) or permanently.

Like many others I have no faith in AJ being able to turn this round. Cove last night were, by a country mile, better than us. They looked a competent Championship team, a team on the up, whereas we looked like a Lowland League team. I'm sure Hibs were hoping we would get through as they'll have a game on their hands against Cove in the next round of the cup. There is a malaise around the club just now and that won't be easy to arrest. Just look what happened to Brechin City when they were bottom of the Championship, they did not and still have not recovered. We really do need a re-think at that has to be lead by the Board. The manager has run his course and there needs to be a change. If there's not a change it will cost the club dearly by going down, and who knows where that will end up? Someone on here a few weeks ago suggested, perhaps with tongue in cheek, that Shelley Kerr, with Andy Thomson as her assistant, would be worth considering (whether they would be interested is another matter). An appointment like that would certainly create interest and would avoid the usual failures merry go round. For the record I don't think Dobbie would be interested living where he does and now coaching with Fylde FC. As far as Gibson taking on the role, well I'm not sure about that. I like him and he's a credit to himself how he's played over the last two seasons but I think, while welcome in some quarters, many of us would see that as the less expensive option. 

13 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Absolute disgrace. Three home games, one win, one draw and a defeat to a lower league team. Queens totally clueless.

A W1 D1 L1 record from three home games is hardly an "absolute disgrace" - it is par for the course for any of the teams in the bottom half of the Championship right now. Had Queens been papped out by Cove up there at the first time of asking, then I think that the sentiment would be somewhat different right now. 

That doesn't make Johnston a good manager or calls for him to go unjustified, but I'd be surprised if your board adopts such a knee-jerk reaction to one result. I think there is still a fair way to go until Johnston's position becomes genuinely untenable. 

I feel sorry for Allan Johnston and Sandy Clark, 3 home games in 7 days with a squad wrecked by injuries and suspensions. No manager could cope with that. Looking ahead, I'm not that sure I want to be in a Championship that may contain Cove, Inverness and Ross County next season. No visiting supporters (and probably few home supporters as well!) means full time football will be impossible.

2 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

But according to Skyline there’s nothing wrong with the ground apart from the Terregles Street end!!

It’s that attitude from people right at the heart of the club that goes to prove that they are not interested in taking the club forward and are happy to treat the fans with utter contempt.

The rot and aloofness from the fans has been slowly setting in for seasons now. Ever since the arrival of Mark Robertson the whole aura surrounding the club changed. 

Drastic changes are required to reverse the slow demise of a once proud club before its too late and this has to start at the very top.

Yep, the Rangers vote and Rangers season ticket holder Mark Robertson’s (oh so ironic) comments that those of us critical of the board’s disgraceful decision were ‘not true Queens supporters’ alienated this lifelong (been going to games home and away since 1971) fan from the club for years, as the realisation dawned that the supporters had been, and it seems always will be, treated with utter contempt by the custodians of the club.

I’ve softened my view a bit over the years after not going to a single match for several seasons, and started taking my son to games, ensuring he became a Queens fan (almost all his pals are Hibs fans), but the connection will never be quite the same for me again. The club does seem to be dying a slow death, and needs a injection of fresh blood, enthusiasm and money to stave off falling into lower League irrelevance (or worse) as a host of ambitious clubs (not just Cove and Kelly, but many others over the next couple of decades as the likes of Darvel, Clydebank, Auchinleck Talbot etc.) start to filter into the leagues. 

I pay my money to stream the games this season, and get to the matches when I can, but the standard of football on display is utterly lamentable. I know some fans seem to rate the current squad and think we’re underachieving, but even my 13-year-old son tears his hair out with frustration at the prehistoric long ball rubbish that we almost always revert to playing (the recent cup match against Morton aside, where the passing was uncharacteristically short and crisp, though the now sadly injured Cochrane was instrumental in that) - is this a managerial strategy, or just the default setting of a group of very limited players? Watching this Queens team is painful, it’s hard to believe that they know the objective of the game is to put the ball in the net between the sticks, so utterly incompetent are they of achieving that basic objective. I’ve seen worse Queens teams defensively, but going forward we’re bloody awful (the always industrious Connelly apart), almost as bad was I’ve ever seen, and that’s saying something. I don’t like to single people out, but there are a few players that you think how on Earth did they secure a contract at a Championship club? 

Poor players badly coached playing shit football on a bloody awful plastic pitch in a decaying stadium in front of empty terraces. That’s the reality of it, and it’s hard to see how that changes without changes at board level.

Edited by Frankie S

A W1 D1 L1 record from three home games is hardly an "absolute disgrace" - it is par for the course for any of the teams in the bottom half of the Championship right now. Had Queens been papped out by Cove up there at the first time of asking, then I think that the sentiment would be somewhat different right now. 
That doesn't make Johnston a good manager or calls for him to go unjustified, but I'd be surprised if your board adopts such a knee-jerk reaction to one result. I think there is still a fair way to go until Johnston's position becomes genuinely untenable. 

It's more than just yesterday's result though. His record is pretty appalling since his return. I don't know the latest (but given we've rarely won I doubt it'll have improved) but the last time his stats were posted it showed he has a poorer record than Gary Naysmith.

The result yesterday wasn't a shock and the fact we were beaten by Cove wasn't the most infuriating part. It's the fact we never appeared to even look like winning. It's the same shit every single week. If we go 1 down, even after 5 minutes we're as well going home because there's little chance we're coming back.

I don't think our BoD have the spine to sack him. But the next 3 games are absolutely massive. I'm looking for 6 points but if he fails to take at least 4 and keeps his job the BoD want to do us a favour and f**k off at the end of the season as well.