The Queen of the South thread

Johnston and Naysmith, when here, are similar in that they don't seem able to manage a big squad, they didn't have to worry so much about tactics, formations, etc, when the starting XI basically picked itself and players knew what was expected of them. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can only comment based on the result but a big worry is that the last 3 games were against sides who will almost definitely be down the bottom with us and we took a whole 1 point from a possible 9. That's a truly appalling return.

That in itself is worrying but it'll get worse once the Dunfermline board have the sense to sack their imposter of a manager and Dunfermline start to climb the table.

I said last night we started the season playing quick attractive football and getting some results and performances were good and you could see there was something to work with in the new squad. But our fraud if a manager has even managed to drain all the energy from our youthful squad. His decision to stick with his son is baffling to say the least. Our player of the year and most consistent player is getting moved all round the pitch. Play him in his best position and he will create and score for us. Someone mentioned East last night the way he has been discarded is outrageous he filled in at the back and to be honest can see see his career being in defence as he has the strengths to play in that position. Plus a major point I think with our players in defence McKay and Debayo in particular they are not willing to come out with the ball instead just always punting it up the park. East at least done that when he played and passed to midfield to build an attack. Our midfield options this year gives us a bit of variety but AJ insisted in moving Wullie and Nditi in to it. McGrory a player who done well has been discarded and Liddle brought in. Why only AJ can answer that. Good to see Todd back fit as he gives us something totally different. Cochrane as I have said does not look fit and goes missing for long periods of games. He is playing because if reputation not because of form. Upfront we brought in Cameron and he has done more in our box than the oppositions. Ruben  started the season brightly but has tailed off badly and he is the option that the manager turned to first last night to change the game. Roy has done well scoring when fit here's hoping he can stay fit. Paton like so many round him has had the confidence drained from him by the way he is treated by the manager. He played where the manger  needed him and then when had a poor game shipped out of the team. He has had a small amount of time in the position we signed him to play. I know our BOD will do nothing about this but 3 wins in 11 is totally unacceptable. Especially after giving him a 2year deal. Personally I want Allan Johnston out of our club. I honestly think he has had his time and it is time to freshen things up. When is he going to set our team up to play to our strengths not the oppositions. And it is Killie this weekend🤯

Edited by Manwithnoball

10 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

why not drop Debayo and put Nditi Inthe back line. Nditi is our best defender why play him as a midfielder.

Or drop the 17 year old, then you can put Willie at RB, Debayo at LB, Nditi at CB, and McGrory into holding midfield. One change and you get four players back into positions they played well in at the start of the season/last season.

46 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Or drop the 17 year old, then you can put Willie at RB, Debayo at LB, Nditi at CB, and McGrory into holding midfield. One change and you get four players back into positions they played well in at the start of the season/last season.

That's too simple, the Manager's  job seems to entail making things more difficult than they need be. Take something that works fairly well and mess about with it until it becomes a shambles. Top marks to  Johnston for that. 

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The malaise feels deeper than that to me.

Malaise is the word.  We have a shit pitch, a shit manager, a ground falling into disrepair, and a board who show complete contempt for their fanbase. There appears to be no ambition, no forward planning, and certainly no enjoyment.

The regime running the club are like a tory government, constantly making cuts for no obvious gain.  I doubt there are another set of fans as downtrodden as ours who seem conditioned to accept any old shit because "what else can we expect on our budget".  The way our survival was "celebrated" last season just made me incredibly sad of what has become of the club.  It used to be a laughing matter on here that our ambitions at the start of every season were to make the playoffs thus writing off any title push before a ball was kicked (realistic but hardly enticing to the floating fans).  This ambition has changed to simply surviving so quickly no-one even noticed.

Everyone who follows Queens accepts that there are limitations but every club in the world is running with a smaller budget than they would like, and most manage to get by.  I'm not suggesting a Gretna style splurge, but previous regimes have not had the luxury of the Arena and other incomes streams, not to mention a record transfer fee, yet they still managed to put out a competitive team most of the time.  This defeatist attitude is only going to take the club in one direction, and it could be years until they recover. It is all very sad.

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

I said last night we started the season playing quick attractive football and getting some results and performances were good and you could see there was something to work with in the new squad. But our fraud if a manager has even managed to drain all the energy from our youthful squad. His decision to stick with his son is baffling to say the least. Our player of the year and most consistent player is getting moved all round the pitch. Play him in his best position and he will create and score for us. Someone mentioned East last night the way he has been discarded is outrageous he filled in at the back and to be honest can see see his career being in defence as he has the strengths to play in that position. Plus a major point I think with our players in defence McKay and Debayo in particular they are not willing to come out with the ball instead just always punting it up the park. East at least done that when he played and passed to midfield to build an attack. Our midfield options this year gives us a bit of variety but AJ insisted in moving Wullie and Nditi in to it. McGrory a player who done well has been discarded and Liddle brought in. Why only AJ can answer that. Good to see Todd back fit as he gives us something totally different. Cochrane as I have said does not look fit and goes missing for long periods of games. He is playing because if reputation not because of form. Upfront we brought in Cameron and he has done more in our box than the oppositions. Ruben  started the season brightly but has tailed off badly and he is the option that the manager turned to first last night to change the game. Roy has done well scoring when fit here's hoping he can stay fit. Paton like so many round him has had the confidence drained from him by the way he is treated by the manager. He played where the manger  needed him and then when had a poor game shipped out of the team. He has had a small amount of time in the position we signed him to play. I know our BOD will do nothing about this but 3 wins in 11 is totally unacceptable. Especially after giving him a 2year deal. Personally I want Allan Johnston out of our club. I honestly think he has had his time and it is time to freshen things up. When is he going to set our team up to play to our strengths not the oppositions. And it is Killie this weekend🤯

I liked to look of Paton early season. He seems a right character on & off the pitch. I agree that he’s been badly treated by AJ. Has there been some issue between them off the field ? 

Just now, qos1990 said:

I’d really like to know what McGrory done wrong to be totally bombed out for every man and his dog after a decent enough start to the season. As Patel says get back to what we were doing good at start of season

Agreed , McGrory was excellent for us and now can’t get a game. Something not right IMO. 

9 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I liked to look of Paton early season. He seems a right character on & off the pitch. I agree that he’s been badly treated by AJ. Has there been some issue between them off the field ? 

Based on nothing but pure gossip I heard Paton is not a great trainer. True or not I can't say.  

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Can only comment based on the result but a big worry is that the last 3 games were against sides who will almost definitely be down the bottom with us and we took a whole 1 point from a possible 9. That's a truly appalling return.

One point... and one goal.

If you discount Connelly's goals we have scored a grand total of one goal in the last 8 games - and that was in the diddy cup.

Edited by Slipmat

Can Alan Johnston please explain why he has moved last years PoY & club captain from RB to accommodate a 17yr old loanee? One of many baffling decisions. Others include one of the divisions best young up and coming CB's in Nditi played out of position.... Debayo a signed LB playing out of position and 2 young exciting signed players in Paton & Mcgrory dropped... 

C'mon AJ the fans are getting sick of the same after match excuses game after game.... Maybe you should be thinking about how bad you are doing rather than pushing the blame onto the young players you signed....  

Alan Johnston man management = ZERO 

28 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

What’s our league record since the great run we went on last season finished ? 

Depends when you think it ended. We got 20 points in that ‘quarter’ of 9 games starting with Raith away. Then 8 in the next quarter and 10 from 11 this season. So, 20 points from 9 games followed by 18 points from 20 games.

Eta - if you take the view it ended at Tynecastle, it would be 26 points from 13 games followed by 12 points from 16 games.

Johnston’s overall record of points per game since he came back is 1.06, which is the same as Naysmith in the season he was sacked.

Edited by Flash

41 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

His latest video is a disgrace. Talking about Hamilton being a PL quality team. Ignoring fact Partick horsed them 6-1. His pish is tiresome.

Taking out the 2 games against us Hamilton have one victory in 9 games against the other teams in the division.  The rest of the league seems able to cope with their Premiership quality.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

46 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

His latest video is a disgrace. Talking about Hamilton being a PL quality team. Ignoring fact Partick horsed them 6-1. His pish is tiresome.

Not even going to listen to his pish.

I can't hear him saying again that it is fine margins in the Championship.

It was madness to give him a 2 year deal now we just can't afford to sack him .

In the bigger picture this myth that we must stay full time is wrong .

We really can't afford to be full time   Arbroath have much the same budget meaning  they can attract the best part time players  not boys like us .

We as a club are going nowhere home fans down to around 800 needing big changes but nothing will happen

It feels like lots of us are reaching a kind of tipping point.

Our manager is clearly pretty hopeless.  I think what he's doing with his son is ludicrous, and extremely unfair on the lad himself.  The 2 year contract decision is looking increasingly daft, but these things don't represent an exact science.

It does feel like it goes beyond our current staff though.  Going to Palmerston was denied us for so long, but it now feels a lot like a chore already.  

We seem to be limping just now and it's not pretty.  I don't even really know what I mean when I call for a reset of sorts.  I just know that the current formula is very unappealing and it's been this way for a while.

Maybe things need to get worse before they get better.  Wishing for it feels a bit dangerous though.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It feels like lots of us are reaching a kind of tipping point.

Our manager is clearly pretty hopeless.  I think what he's doing with his son is ludicrous, and extremely unfair on the lad himself.  The 2 year contract decision is looking increasingly daft, but these things don't represent an exact science.

It does feel like it goes beyond our current staff though.  Going to Palmerston was denied us for so long, but it now feels a lot like a chore already.  

We seem to be limping just now and it's not pretty.  I don't even really know what I mean when I call for a reset of sorts.  I just know that the current formula is very unappealing and it's been this way for a while.

Maybe things need to get worse before they get better.  Wishing for it feels a bit dangerous though.

The crowds are dropping rapidly and must be at the lowest we’ve had since pre Norman Blount days!

Folk aren’t interested in paying £18 to watch low quality fare in a dump of a stadium which more often than not results in yet another defeat!