The Queen of the South thread

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not sure I've read anywhere 'mainstream' suggesting that QoS will be in bother up until now.

If so, then The Guardian are the ones now pushing that angle:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/george-galloway-trip-to-queen-of-the-south-set-to-end-in-charge-for-club-scottish-football?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Yeah, you have to expect some sort of charge incoming from the SPFL.

I can’t remember any other championship club or lower league club breaching the rules. Mind you, there have been a few breaches top league. 

I haven’t searched them all, but from memory any action has been fairly mild (bans for players) unless a game has been postponed because of it.

From memory, I have the following clubs in the Covid hall of shame: 

Aberdeen

Celtic

Kilmarnock

St.Mirren

Queens

Until Queen of the South produce an explanation that isn't just braying horseshit that evades every important question then I'm more than happy to run with their board being arch-Unionist co-conspirators version tbh. Nothing that they have produced suggests contrition for an honest mistake at all.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I honestly believe in Galloway's warped mind he believes that QoS will get 'unfairly' hammered by this and the fans will be disgusted with Nicola Sturgeon for this and for her refusal to allow football fans back. Thus giving him a cause and having the full support of the 1-2000 QoS fans and helping give him his ticket into the Scottish Parliament.

He thrives on controversy and tries to play people. And he's so out of touch these days he might actually believe that.

100% this. Which is why this will be allowed to blow over, I suspect, by the govt / police, who don't want to give the fedora-wearing moustachioed spunktrumpet another opportunity to reach for his megaphone.

However the reaction of all Queens' fans on twitter that I've seen- bar one auld grumbler who looks like a tub of parboiled spam- suggests that this hope of gaining 1-2000 supporters overnight on the back of this, has backfired dreadfully.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

3 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Yeah, you have to expect some sort of charge incoming from the SPFL.

I can’t remember any other championship club or lower league club breaching the rules. Mind you, there have been a few breaches top league. 

I haven’t searched them all, but from memory any action has been fairly mild (bans for players) unless a game has been postponed because of it.

From memory, I have the following clubs in the Covid hall of shame: 

Aberdeen

Celtic

Kilmarnock

St.Mirren

Queens

I suspect this will be another case of the authorities not having a prescribed punishment, perhaps because they assumed no club would be dumb enough to invite a “celebrity” to attend a game in obvious breach of the rules.  Reading these pages, I think the biggest punishment will come from within the club’s own fan base.  That said, if there’s any suggestion this was a publicity stunt the club were in on, then things might get more difficult.

6 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

100% this. Which is why this will be allowed to blow over, I suspect, by the govt / police, who don't want to give the fedora-wearing moustachioed spunktrumpet another opportunity to reach for his megaphone.

The problem with no response is that it starts to become untenable to expect the vast majority of the public to comply with the restrictions. Instances like this chip away and errode compliance. Also, Mr Galloway should be treated like everyone else. There has to be consistency in the sanction imposed. I don't think its credible for the authorities to ignore it.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The problem with no response is that it starts to become untenable to expect the vast majority of the public to comply with the restrictions. Instances like this chip away and errode compliance. Also, Mr Galloway should be treated like everyone else. There has to be consistency in the sanction imposed. I don't think its credible for the authorities to ignore it.

But if the "response" is exactly what the rule-breaking behaviour was intended to elicit, what then?

Sadly QoS will get hammered with a big fine either way. Their five new season ticket holders will prove to be rather costly.

It can't be understated what an odious cretin Galloway is. A utter rat of a person. A huge sell out liar with zero integrity and zero credibility.

His latest comedy attempt at a political party is full of similarly horrendous people with disgusting views.

Just now, Ivo den Bieman said:

But if the "response" is exactly what the rule-breaking behaviour was intended to elicit, what then?

Sadly QoS will get hammered with a big fine either way. Their five new season ticket holders will prove to be rather costly.

I don't disagree, he has clearly engineered this situation. However, he as an individual should be sanctioned for his breach as anyone else would be. Otherwise it undermines the whole system. The police may opt for a slap on the wrist or a £30/£60 fine or such. I doubt it would be any worse than that assuming its a first offence. Which really doesn't give him much to grandstand about.

I expect you are also right in that QoS will be sanctioned by the football authorities and that fine could be tens of thousands. All for the niaveity of the QoS board.

All told its a pretty sorry episode for QoS. I genuinely feel for the fans I'd be apoplectic if the same thing happened at Ayr.

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I can’t see it being a big fine. Did any of the other Covid breaker clubs get hammered?

That said, big fine or not, the board  will have burn their bridges with the local community. That is more harmful than a fine or a points deduction.

However, when you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows.

8 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

OH NO YOU HAVEN’T!

Sorry couldn’t resist.

Oh, yes we have!

A picture has emerged of the board members leaving a meeting to discuss matters this morning:

5A178977-EF8E-4EF9-8981-9CA708BEB8BD.jpeg

Edited by qos_75

19 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Guessing the grand total for 4 season tickets for the people pictured would be £216 (1 concession@ £120 + 2 x U16 @£14 + 1x 16-21 @ £68) of which the club would keep £180. Not sure who the 5th one was for but maximum £210 (net £175).
So the club would have made an extra £355 from the 5 season tickets. Of course there is still the 4 calling birds, 3 French hens, 2 turtle doves and the partridge in a pear tree to consider.

Edited by Flash

2 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Oh come on.

Galloway has been using the #resignsturgeon hashtag all week.

He had regularly boasted he was breaking rules coming back to D&G and what would Sturgeon and the “Seperatists” do about it.

He then tweets he was there.

Are you honestly saying this wasn’t an orchestrated plan to cry hypocrisy at the First Minister ?

This is George Galloway and the Blount’s we are talking about....

What?

I'm not talking about George Galloway's wacky and ever shifting politics at all.  I'm talking about the 3 board members.  I've no idea where each stands on Scottish Independence and I don't think you do either.

I suspect this will be another case of the authorities not having a prescribed punishment, perhaps because they assumed no club would be dumb enough to invite a “celebrity” to attend a game in obvious breach of the rules.  

CutMeOut20201228_150819.jpg