The Queen of the South thread

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Out of interest would need to happen in your eyes before a change definitely needed to be made? 1 win in 2 calendar years?

Of course in normal circumstances, a change would have been necessary long before now.

These aren't normal though.  I'm not saying that in mitigation for him - far from it.  I am saying, however, that these circumstances might be dictating the club's response.

Stop trying to characterise what I'm saying as a defence of AJ's record please , because it's not one.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Of course in normal circumstances, a change would have been necessary long before now.

These aren't normal though.  I'm not saying that in mitigation for him - far from it.  I am saying, however, that these circumstances might be dictating the club's response.

Stop trying to characterise what I'm saying as a defence of AJ's record please , because it's not one.

I didn’t mean to, I wasn’t really sure your angle which was why I asked, I understand now.

I did think you were attempting to defend him, which surprised me.

Edited by palmy_cammy

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Imagine being in the position of only keeping your job because your employer doesn’t have enough money to sack you. 

The club can't be that hard up for money they couldn't even run the 50/50 halftime draw today... What a shame easy money missed again, maybe small but it all counts.... 

This. Although i cant even see 700 appearing. We will be slumming it in league 1 for years. Can the club really afford not to pull the trigger here. Listening to fans rather cleaning the oven and playing with toys with the kids than watching us says it all. Bunch of pea hearts on the pitch. Clubs rotten just now unfortunately. So sad to see the apathy.
Tbf, if I could only do one of spending time with my kids or watch QoS, for the rest of my life my kids would win hands down [emoji38] The reason I mentioned it is because normally between 3 and 4.45pm on a Saturday the football gets my undivided attention. I'm struggling just now. And I never missed a home game the season we were relegated so I can't even put it down to just being a fair weather fan. There is just an air of "ah f**k it" coming from the club just now and it seems to be catching.

57 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

This. Although i cant even see 700 appearing. We will be slumming it in league 1 for years. Can the club really afford not to pull the trigger here. Listening to fans rather cleaning the oven and playing with toys with the kids than watching us says it all. Bunch of pea hearts on the pitch. Clubs rotten just now unfortunately. So sad to see the apathy.

Playing with toys is fair enough, but cleaning the oven? I thought we were bad under McPake but WTF?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Poor budget/players is a cop out, and exactly the sort of crap he comes out with.

Managing Queens and complaining about a poor budget is like going swimming and complaining about getting wet.

Writing the season off because with have poor players is a pathetic loser mentality. If everyone shared it we might as well scrap football and hand out the trophies based on what team has the most money in the bank.

A competent manager will at the very least have his players organised, working hard both individually and as a team, and following clear instructions. If we at least looked like we had a game plan I don’t think we’d be half as annoyed by the current predicament.

It’s not the players’ fault. It’s all on Johnston for being hopeless at his job and the board for allowing him to remain being hopeless.

The five greenies you're currently courting shows how far emotion goes in football, as in politics. I have to disagree with a lot of it though.

"Managing Queens and complaining about a poor budget is like going swimming and complaining about getting wet."

Not really, because budget is subjective. Put us in the SOSL and we'd have an amazing budget. The suggestion I and others have made is that our normal budget - which itself was poor for the Championship but normal for Queen of the South - has been reduced even further. As a result, the gang of shitey full-time players who just about scraped by at the bottom end of the league the last few years, has been replaced with an ever shitier gang who are barely League One standard and will be marooned in 10th for the rest of the season.

"Writing the season off because with have poor players is a pathetic loser mentality. If everyone shared it we might as well scrap football and hand out the trophies based on what team has the most money in the bank."

This is not what anyone has said. The suggestion is the other way around: that we have poor players because we wrote the season off - assuming it would be cancelled, or that relegation was better than bankruptcy. Some people have suggested that we will stick with AJ for the same reason, to avoid financial hardships we maybe cannot bear. My specific suggestion is that if the board now release funds for transfers, they may think it's only fair to give AJ this window, rather than punish him for their own decision to write the season off.

"A competent manager will at the very least have his players organised, working hard both individually and as a team, and following clear instructions."

People say this but it's not necessarily the case. There are lots of reasons players might not be organised, hard working, and following instructions. Put simply, they may be dumb as f**k, lazy and insubordinate. Indeed, that may be the reason they are playing at this level, and so cheap.

----------------------

All of the above is premised on the idea that the board may have knowingly incurred this misery for financial reasons, and/or may knowingly retain AJ despite our dismal performances this year and last year. Simply acknowledging that there may be reasons why something happens is not the same as agreeing with that thing. I think everyone on here, myself included, feels a change of manager would be a good move provided it doesn't imperil the club's finances.

Have to say, I like to think I keep fairly clued up on Scottish football. When I read your team line-up today, there was a fair few I'd never heard of and a couple of others that I thought had completely fallen away and were done at this level. Turns out one of the latter was your captain. That's bloody grim.

Dan Pybus is a player I've really liked and half hoped we went for him in the summer but even he looked utter pish today.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dan Pybus is a player I've really liked and half hoped we went for him in the summer but even he looked utter pish today.

He's been consistently overrated by everyone that isn't a Queens fan for most of his time with us. An utterly pointless football player.

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Have to say, I like to think I keep fairly clued up on Scottish football. When I read your team line-up today, there was a fair few I'd never heard of and a couple of others that I thought had completely fallen away and were done at this level. Turns out one of the latter was your captain. That's bloody grim.

The best thing Pybus has done is feature in an episode of The Simpsons. 

Utterly hopeless.

DURE_XcZYcBOrZzalcgulGjG3Jk=.gif

On 21/12/2020 at 09:20, Skyline Drifter said:

Which would tell you what? The book worth of the companies they have shares in? Not sure that proves an awful lot and I'm absolutely certain that Companycheck.co.uk don't have access to their personal bank balances or have the first clue what personal liabilities and expenses they may have.

If life has taught me anything over the years it's that speculation about individual wealth is just exactly that, idle speculation with very little relevance to facts.

It obviously doesn’t give the entire picture, but business shareholdings are clearly a significant indicator of wealth, and typically represent a significant element of the portfolio of assets that combine to make up a business person’s net wealth.

A cursory view shows that in the case of the most valuable company in his business portfolio, which alone is valued in multiple millions, he is sole director, and Companies House data confirms he has significant control, owning >75% of shares and voting rights.

Of course, in a full assessment of net worth, business assets / shareholder funds will be supplemented by personal assets such as property, savings, pensions, and other investments. So, in all likelihood business shareholder funds will only contribute a proportion of total wealth.

The suggestion that his personal liabilities might exceed his personal assets and thereby diminish the value of his overall portfolio to the extent that his net worth isn’t in multiples of millions seems slightly far-fetched tbh. I agree that his business assets are only indicative of a proportion of his total wealth though, and don’t tell the whole story. His total wealth will almost certainly exceed the value of his business shareholdings alone.

I don’t think it’s remotely speculative (given the information that is in the public domain) to suggest that he fits fairly comfortably within the multi-millionaire category. I’m not sure why this suggestion would be remotely controversial. Good for him.

Edited by Frankie S

24 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

It obviously doesn’t give the entire picture, but business shareholdings are clearly a significant indicator of wealth, and typically represent a significant element of the portfolio of assets that combine to make up a business person’s net wealth.

A cursory view shows that in the case of the most valuable company in his business portfolio, which alone is valued in multiple millions, he is sole director, and Companies House data confirms he has significant control, owning >75% of shares and voting rights.

Of course, in a full assessment of net worth, business assets / shareholder funds will be supplemented by personal assets such as property, savings, pensions, and other investments. So, in all likelihood business shareholder funds will only contribute a proportion of total wealth.

The suggestion that his personal liabilities might exceed his personal assets and thereby diminish the value of his overall portfolio to the extent that his net worth isn’t in multiples of millions seems slightly far-fetched tbh. I agree that his business assets are only indicative of a proportion of his total wealth though, and don’t tell the whole story. His total wealth will almost certainly exceed the value of his business shareholdings alone.

I don’t think it’s remotely speculative (given the information that is in the public domain) to suggest that he fits fairly comfortably within the multi-millionaire category. I’m not sure why this suggestion would be remotely controversial. Good for him.

Great. Except nobody said he wasnt a multi-millionaire

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm struggling just now. And I never missed a home game the season we were relegated so I can't even put it down to just being a fair weather fan. There is just an air of "ah f**k it" coming from the club just now and it seems to be catching.

This season feels altogether different to the Gus one for various reasons.

I don't know about others, but I feel that my wider interest in football has waned a bit this year.  Without crowds, it just seems to matter less, but maybe that's just me.

The side under Gus, allthough hopeless, was nowhere near as bad as this one.  We were competitive in most games, but usually came away losing or drawing, with a particular habit of conceding important late goals.  This team, however, is usually dead and buried by half time.  We are routinely shipping 3 or 4 goals and have that general air of being in completely the wrong division.

It's really hard to care right now, because any emotional investment just feels pointless, as any hope is being snuffed out so early and so comprehensively each week.