The Queen of the South thread

Just now, Mr X said:

Clearly not. Doesnt mean that using it, if we even can, to sack Johnstone is financially the best thing for the club

Yes but accepting the current dross and relegation as being inevitable might have been acceptable in the absence of the grant. Imo, with money available that should be enough to allow the club to survive the covid season, there is no reason to just shrug our shoulders and admit defeat. 

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Clearly not. Doesnt mean that using it, if we even can, to sack Johnstone is financially the best thing for the club

I think I read somewhere that it has to has to be used for the day to day running of the club and wages, I presume that means it can't be used for transfers or pay offs. 

Edited by Rouky
Error in writing

It's clear that QotS have tried to keep their heads above water during the pandemic and so deserve some sympathy for their problems on the field. On the other hand, you were predictably dung in the previous few years and were in complete freefall before last season's shutdown so it's hardly been the decisive cause of events. It's hard to work out from outside the club what the thinking was behind doing the same thing with the same manager and a worse budget/squad in the summer and expecting anything else to happen than this right now. Perhaps your club should have moved to a hybrid model with some part-time players instead of rummaging the bargain bin of full-time jobbers.

The shortened season would amplify even a short term bounce from a managerial change so unless there's a superb candidate waiting to take over in the summer then the decision should be straightforward. Though given the sum of Morton's ambition remains 'get this season over with and stay in the league', that you're no longer on track to reach our current points tally by May is rather welcome.

23 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yes but accepting the current dross and relegation as being inevitable might have been acceptable in the absence of the grant. Imo, with money available that should be enough to allow the club to survive the covid season, there is no reason to just shrug our shoulders and admit defeat. 

An opinion you're perfectly entitled to. However, we dont know if we can use the grant money to pay off a manager and, without access to the clubs finances, we dont know if using it in that way is the best thing for the club.

No one is suggesting we shrug our shoulders and admit defeat. The point is, pretty clearly, that this season more than ever the reason for AJ keeping his job could well be purely financial

15 minutes ago, Rouky said:

I think I read somewhere that it has to has to be used for the day to day running of the club and wages, I presume that means it can't be used for transfers or pay offs. 

A pay off is wages. It is the same cost whether he is retained until May or released. The extra cost comes from hiring another manager, which is also wages. You don’t necessarily have to pay transfer fees to get new players. However the problem could be in getting decent ones in January, which is difficult anyway.
You may well be right that we can’t use it to pay off Johnston, but it will depend on the detailed wording of the conditions of the grant. 
Imagine being in the position of only keeping your job because your employer doesn’t have enough money to sack you. 

33 minutes ago, Rouky said:

I well, Use the other money the club has to get rid of him... Don't think the clubs as bad off as people would believe lots of furlough money & grants from the Gov for buildings relief etc that belong to club as well as the rental money from the business's in the arena  all sorts of money has been coming in and not much going out... 

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

I well, Use the other money the club has to get rid of him... Don't think the clubs as bad off as people would believe lots of furlough money & grants from the Gov for buildings relief etc that belong to club as well as the rental money from the business's in the arena  all sorts of money has been coming in and not much going out... 

Surely lots has been going out in the form of wages, even relatively meagre ones, for those masquerading as footballers.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Surely lots has been going out in the form of wages, even relatively meagre ones, for those masquerading as footballers.

OK we have missed the money from Pay at gate attendees from 4 league games and couple o cup games, not that that would be much considering how bad the teams been and it'll only get worse unless there is a change... Forgot to add in rumoured Dykes money over £200,000 plus the latest grant of £500,000 that'll cover the wages for the squad. 

17 minutes ago, Flash said:

A pay off is wages. It is the same cost whether he is retained until May or released. The extra cost comes from hiring another manager, which is also wages. You don’t necessarily have to pay transfer fees to get new players. However the problem could be in getting decent ones in January, which is difficult anyway.
You may well be right that we can’t use it to pay off Johnston, but it will depend on the detailed wording of the conditions of the grant. 
Imagine being in the position of only keeping your job because your employer doesn’t have enough money to sack you. 

And yet, thats exactly where we might be.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

And yet, thats exactly where we might be.

Wonderful. 
Well, I’m done discussing it. And done watching it too. I’m sure I won’t be missed.

14 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

OK we have missed the money from Pay at gate attendees from 4 league games and couple o cup games, 

I don't know why this gets minimised.

In normal circumstances, people paying to watch home games must surely provide a huge slice of our income.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Why was Dobbie not playing today, will he be out for Tuesday.

We have a game on Tuesday?  Is there no break from this torture. 

Dobbie has said before that he usually makes a decision each January about his plans for playing in the next season,  I'm not too confident that he'll feel he can play on much longer,  travelling is bound to be tiresome to play in a side constantly struggling against relegation and recovery from injuries probably takes longer. It would be a crying shame if relegation under an inept manager was a factor IF he decided to quit. Having said that he may feel that he would still be able to do a job in League 1. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't know why this gets minimised.

In normal circumstances, people paying to watch home games must surely provide a huge slice of our income.

Which is why the old business adage "speculate to accumulate" must surely come in to the equation.

Alloa and Arbroath are still within touching distance, and with someone else at the helm who could at least organise the team and have more than one idea of a gameplan/formation in their repertoire we could maybe, just maybe, scramble into 8th place.  

Under AJ relegation looks a nailed on certainty, and should we go down I would expect home gates (assuming fans are allowed back in July) to drop to around the 700 mark, not to mention the drop in positional prize money.  If taking a short term financial hit means staying in this division, it's worth the risk imo.

An unusual situation in trying to sack a manager.

Back in around January 2003, Mick Wadsworth was sacked by Huddersfield Town after a horrendous run of results.

Unfortunately they did not have the money to pay him off – so he stayed in the job.

A couple of months later, by the end of March, the local police intelligence unit got wind of a planned disruption by fans during the upcoming match.

The board and the manager were advised on the Wednesday & Mick Wadsworth resigned on the Thursday !

I wonder if AJ is glad fans ain’t allowed right now ????

Not being able to afford to sack him may explain the decision (I’m not convinced) but it doesn’t clear the board from criticism, quite the opposite in fact.

Finding ourselves lumbered with a dud manager that everyone knew was a dud manager before he was appointed really has to be the most ridiculous circumstance we’ve ever found ourselves in. Pathetic.