The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Listening to sportsound it cost Roy Mcgregor from Ross County £35,000 to buy a covid testing machine plus it'll cost them £50 a week per person to get tested. He thinks all spl clubs wil need to have their own to get the league up and running, but could possibly share usage.

I wonder with Queens training at Hamilton they might also get the use of their covid testing machine further down the line when the Championship clubs gets the go ahead to start training again.  Sure with QoS Director Mark Blount being on the medical & player welfare committee group to get scottish football started again Queens will be right up to speed with all the medical guidelines etc. 

why doesn’t the guy wanting to put £2m into the Scottish game buy 10 of these testing machines, allocate 4 clubs to each machine and cover the cost of testing for 12 months.

That would be his money well spent in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, SueSue said:

why doesn’t the guy wanting to put £2m into the Scottish game buy 10 of these testing machines, allocate 4 clubs to each machine and cover the cost of testing for 12 months.

That would be his money well spent in my opinion.

Only if that's the difference between clubs in the lower divisions playing and not playing. If, as seems likely, League One and League Two are not played next season, or at least not played until crowds are allowed which in turn presumably means the testing regime for players is likely to be less stringent, then giving a £35k machine to clubs down there will achieve absolutely nothing. The clubs would certainly rather have the cash to put towards their fixed costs. If playing behind closed doors isn't achievable anyway then testing players to allow it is pointless.

As a suggestion for the top two divisions though it makes some sense. I guess though if the bottom two divisions have the cash the other clubs would say they'd rather have the cash too and decide for themselves how best to spend it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hopefully all Championship clubs would have the finance to play 6 home games behind closed doors from October that would take them thru to 2021 and surely by then at the latest we could get 25% of fans in stadium allowance - example Palmerston 2150. Thus giving most clubs enough finance to see out the remainder of the season. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

16 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Did you guys ever have a sell on with Dykes? We've basically came out and said he's leaving for no less than £2m so even a tiny sell on would net you a decent bit

The only person that is likely to know this, also understandably won't answer.  I'd hope so, but I suspect not.  Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect getting Dykes back on loan from the January and then Jack Hamilton last season were the sweeteners in the deal.

Did you guys ever have a sell on with Dykes? We've basically came out and said he's leaving for no less than £2m so even a tiny sell on would net you a decent bit
I personally don't know. It's been said yes and no on here. Mental he's valued so high but hopefully he goes for such a price if we do have a sell-on.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The only person that is likely to know this, also understandably won't answer.  I'd hope so, but I suspect not.  Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect getting Dykes back on loan from the January and then Jack Hamilton last season were the sweeteners in the deal.

Definitely a sell on clause .

Fact .

53 minutes ago, lowland star said:

If dykes goes for £2 million ( paper Talk ) was told worth £300000 to queens

If it is a 15% sell on clause the board should be congratulated. This would be really good money that club def needs especially just now.... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

6 hours ago, lowland star said:

I seriously doubt we'll have gave you a 15% sell on, a loan back and a player on loan for a player with 6 months left. I'd imagine it's between 0 -10% realistically, even 10 is a high percentage

53 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I seriously doubt we'll have gave you a 15% sell on, a loan back and a player on loan for a player with 6 months left. I'd imagine it's between 0 -10% realistically, even 10 is a high percentage

The Jack Hamilton loan (and the Ross Stewart one for that matter) had absolutely no connection to the Lyndon Dykes transfer. Entirely separate deals 6 months apart.

On 07/06/2020 at 15:13, lowland star said:

Lol lol 2M your mad. 500.000 plus add ons. To which won't matter he's at the levels to which he's an average player any higher and he will fail. But money speaks. One big move and he's made 

With a possible start date for the Championship in October when will Queens need to start building a squad? Bearing in mind there will have to be a preseason of sorts I imagine the beginning of September. Any other views on this? And who would you like to come in realistically!)

14 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

With a possible start date for the Championship in October when will Queens need to start building a squad? Bearing in mind there will have to be a preseason of sorts I imagine the beginning of September. Any other views on this? And who would you like to come in realistically!)

I don't think we can afford to start building a squad until that "possible start date" becomes a "probable start date" or even a "definite start date".

As for signing targets, it's going to be a complete free-for-all, with most teams starting from scratch.  I suppose the teams that did well enough last year might stick with what they know and re-sign a lot of last season's squad.  Better the devil you now and all that.  That wouldn't be an advisable strategy for ourselves though.

Assuming we stick with Johnston, which unfortunately seems likely, hopefully he has learned some major lessons from last season.  We basically require a whole squad, but priorities have to be; a reliable goalkeeper, actual wide men instead of 10 central midfielders none any better than the others, and an energetic partner for Dobbie.

Of the ones released there isn't anyone I'm desperate to see return, but I'd be fine with Semple, Mercer and Lyon returning.  Kilday, Murray and Hamilton would be acceptable.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I don't think we can afford to start building a squad until that "possible start date" becomes a "probable start date" or even a "definite start date".

As for signing targets, it's going to be a complete free-for-all, with most teams starting from scratch.  I suppose the teams that did well enough last year might stick with what they know and re-sign a lot of last season's squad.  Better the devil you now and all that.  That wouldn't be an advisable strategy for ourselves though.

Assuming we stick with Johnston, which unfortunately seems likely, hopefully he has learned some major lessons from last season.  We basically require a whole squad, but priorities have to be; a reliable goalkeeper, actual wide men instead of 10 central midfielders none any better than the others, and an energetic partner for Dobbie.

Of the ones released there isn't anyone I'm desperate to see return, but I'd be fine with Semple, Mercer and Lyon returning.  Kilday, Murray and Hamilton would be acceptable.

I take it there will be no transfer window meaning we can add players in September .

It seems we are going to play 27 games play teams 3 times surely we could finish the season later and still play 36 games . 

As for new signing it looks like we will still be full time so like last season we will pick up players late who can't get a deal anywhere else .