The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, JessieField said:

In the Irn Bru Cup. We won a friendly in July   against them, so we should have a good chance to progress PROVIDED we don't think it's a foregone win and are complacent. We all saw in the second half on Saturday what happens when you think it's easy.

Yeah, it's a decent enough draw. I'd rather it had been here than there, both because the crowd would have been better and it would save the travel, but it's not exactly difficult to get to and offers a good chance of progress. I'd forgotten we played them pre-season (mainly because I was in Portugal at the time) but the obvious angle is the manager returning to his old side competitively for the first time. We've been embarrassed at East Fife on cup duty before though (Bob Harris first game red card) so it certainly can't be taken lightly.

Queens away to either Sutton or Bohemians in the next round please, assuming that East Fife are put to the sword.  Connah's Quay or Coleraine would also be a decent away trip.

Now watch Queens get beat by the Fifers or draw Motherwell or St Mirren under-21's in the next round.

2 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Queens away to either Sutton or Bohemians in the next round please, assuming that East Fife are put to the sword.  Connah's Quay or Coleraine would also be a decent away trip.

Now watch Queens get beat by the Fifers or draw Motherwell or St Mirren under-21's in the next round.

No thanks. 

I’d take the Colts teams every day over the teams you’ve suggested. We want to win this cup, especially in our centenary year, if do beat the Fifers and somehow the Colts sides also get through then we all should be wanting to play the Colts side!!

I’m firmly in the “get the Colts out” camp but they are in the competition so if we do draw them it would be fantastic for us to get through!

We can get our trips to Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Lithuania, Luxembourg and San Marino next year.

2 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Really like the ‘international dimension’ of this competition (greatly enjoyed the game against Crusaders last week), and would like to see that expanded, but the under-21s element is a complete farce. The southern Irish clubs already seemed to be cooling on this, as the FAI had to go all the way down to 9th place in the Irish League to convince another club to take Bray Wanderers place, after they were excluded. Doubt Sligo Rovers experience of being drawn against two under-21 sides in a row is going to further enamour the Irish doubters, sadly. A long trip to take on a youth team in front of three men and a dog. Bet they’re champing at the bit down Sligo way for this one. although it’s as good as a bye for the Irish team I suppose. If the Under-21s were jettisoned, this could be a very decent competition. 

Edited by Frankie S

15 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Really like the ‘international dimension’ of this competition (greatly enjoyed the game against Crusaders last week), and would like to see that expanded, but the under-21s element is a complete farce. The southern Irish clubs already seemed to be cooling on this, as the FAI had to go all the way down to 9th place in the Irish League to convince another club to take Bray Wanderers place, after they were excluded. Doubt Sligo Rovers experience of being drawn against two under-21 sides in a row is going to further enamour the Irish doubters, sadly. A long trip to take on a youth team in front of three men and a dog. Bet they’re champing at the bit down Sligo way for this one. although it’s as good as a bye for the Irish team I suppose. If the Under-21s were jettisoned, this could be a very decent competition. 

Agree with all of that.  It would be interesting to see how Queens fared against the likes of Sutton or Bo's.  Sutton have been on the rise in recent years with their manager putting in significant wads of cash to the playing budget.  A game against them would be a decent challenge, though they were arguably a stronger team a season or two back, so Queens would be strong  favourites IMO.  At this stage of the competition, getting through to the next round is all that counts as it would be good to win the competition in the centenary season. 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

After listening to a very good interview with Soccer FM and hearing Stephen Dobbie saying he is currently looking for another years contract at Queens I think it's time the board sat down and give him an extension thru to the end of next season. He has proved he is fitter than ever and is still scoring goals for fun.  The younger players must learn so much from him, he is a model pro and brings so much to the club on and off the pitch. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

After listening to a very good interview with Soccer FM and hearing Stephen Dobbie saying he is currently looking for another years contract at Queens I think it's time the board sat down and give him an extension thru to the end of next season. He has proved he is fitter than ever and is still scoring goals for fun.  The younger players must learn so much from him, he is a model pro and brings so much to the club on and off the pitch. 

What makes you think they haven’t already ?

Need to sign him up for the rest of his career. Hopefully another two seasons after this.

Never stop wanting [emoji85][emoji23] sure it’s all in hand