The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Anyway, how long was the Dobbie deal in the making?  Did it all come together very quickly, or were people biting their tongues for a while?

There's a bit of a clue at the end of his interview with Sandra on the OS - link

I hope for everyone's sake at the club not directly involved with the deal that they didn't know for long. Imagine if it had gotten out and that it was a possibility for a month, say, or even a week, that we could get him back - it would've been torture! Hoping with everything you've got that he'd re-sign for us, writing it off as something too good to happen to us, fearing that another club might swoop in and nab him from under our noses.

No. This way was much better. BANG! Totally out of the blue and then, done deal! Absolutely perfect! Now all there is left to do is worry that it all turns out even half as good as it promises to be!

I have every confidence that he will make a significant impact. He looks leaner than last time and has such tremendous experience behind him. I just wonder if he will play in a more withdrawn role as he has been doing for most of his time in England. Just give him the ball and let him work his magic.

10 minutes ago, MB said:

I have every confidence that he will make a significant impact. He looks leaner than last time and has such tremendous experience behind him. I just wonder if he will play in a more withdrawn role as he has been doing for most of his time in England. Just give him the ball and let him work his magic.

I guess he'll either play up front alongside one of the other strikers, or in behind a lone striker with a couple of midfielders behind him, although theres probably not a huge amount of difference between the two. If he plays "up front" he'll likely drop deep to get on the ball anyway

Cant see him as a lone striker or playing as one of a central two in a 4-4-2.

56 minutes ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

There's a bit of a clue at the end of his interview with Sandra on the OS - link

I hope for everyone's sake at the club not directly involved with the deal that they didn't know for long. Imagine if it had gotten out and that it was a possibility for a month, say, or even a week, that we could get him back - it would've been torture! Hoping with everything you've got that he'd re-sign for us, writing it off as something too good to happen to us, fearing that another club might swoop in and nab him from under our noses.

No. This way was much better. BANG! Totally out of the blue and then, done deal! Absolutely perfect! Now all there is left to do is worry that it all turns out even half as good as it promises to be!

Yes, from that it sounds like it was developing from early last week.  

A tiny number of people must have watched our huffing and puffing against Stenhousemuir with less alarm than most of us.  

I totally agree about the way it was revealed being far preferable to a more gradual unfolding.  

1 minute ago, PALMYLAD said:

Is he in the squad for Saturday?!

He's expected to be but clearly the move needs international clearance which is in process. I'd be very surprised if England don't clear him before the weekend though. Significant delays between England and Scotland would be very unusual.

Would have loved a winger in before the weekend also but who can moan when we've signed the messiah back. Going by reports he looked very sharp in training.

I expect us to shape up 4-2-3-1 Saturday like we did at thistle with maybe dobbie playing closer to lyle.

Robinson

Hamill dowie Higgins Marshall

Tapping Millar

Anderson dobbie Hilson

Lyle.

On the back of this, I wonder if the club have ever considered doing a printing service with name an number on the shirts?

It could prove popular with the younger fans and I am sure there would be a commercial benefit to the club.

Edited by qos_75

On the back of this, I wonder if the club have ever considered doing a printing service with name an number on the shirts?

It could prove popular with the younger fans and I am sure there would be a commercial benefit to the club.

Pretty sure they do this service already.

1 hour ago, qos_75 said:

1 hour ago, temps15 said:

Pretty sure they do this service already.

As Temps says it's available already though we don't do it on the spot, partly because it's the kitman who prints them, but mainly because we simply don't keep enough stock of letters and numbers to cater for everything. It can be done to order using official SPFL numbers / letters though given about a week or so's notice. Or Knox Sports will do it in town not using official letters / numbers.

My son is wanting a name and number on the back of his but I haven't got around to dealing with it yet.

Keep thinking there must be a catch. Surely he must have had a few offers (and no doubt for more money). Anyhow more than happy with this and hopefully it will encourage a few others to take note and encourage them to sign. Must be great for the younger ones in the team also.