The Queen of the South thread

Think Dykes was rested rather than dropped having done a hell of a lot of running in previous 2 games, his legs were knackered he aint used to doing quite as much running as generaly was played as striker at previous club.

35 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think when Dykes played on the left of a midfield 4 he acquitted himself pretty well despite it not being his natural position and to drop him to accommodate a cautious  formation that gave us no cutting edge up top was not a great decision.. It was pretty obvious that when Dykes came on and we moved back to a 4-4-2 we had a much better second half.My main point is that we continually go into these games with a set up that is more geared to stopping the opposition than imposing ourselves on the game. Gavin Skelton has been talking encouragingly about pressing the ball high up the pitch and being positive - all things that I and most Queens supporters fully agree with, but when we had an opportunity to deploy this philosophy in a tough away match we chose to sit deep and get banks of players behind the ball. Dont get me wrong I have seen us play a lot worse and win but one of the main reasons that we keep "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" in these bigger games is because we invariably sit deeper and deeper, invite trouble and inevitably we get it. 

But hes no more a left winger than Hilson. If you're going to play someone out of position it makes more sense for it to be the senior, and better, player

The switch to 4-4-2 was why we had a better second half, Dykes coming on wasnt really a factor, Anderson would have played the exact same role.

Having said that, take nothing away from Dykes, particularly his lovely touch to set up Lyle to cross for the goal

anyone making the trip down to workington tonight for the game?

Tonight's team

Queen of the South

1. Jim Atkinson
2. Jack Brannan
3. Rhys Evans
4. Jake Pichard
5. Scott Hooper
6. Richard Murray
7. Aidan Smith
8. Owen Moxon
9. Lydon Dykes
10. Steven Rigg
11. Dean Brotherston

Finishes 2-1 to QoS.

Rigg with our first and Brotherston with the late winner.

Results tonight appear to be going our way unless I am blatantly missing something. But a win against Stenny and ideally with 2 or more goals would surely see us progress? (As things stand).

I think a 2 goal win over stenny will be more than enough. 

peterhead hold on v Dundee and it's been a perfect night barring the late comeback from Killie but even then they still need a big win on Saturday. 

I imagine Dundee equalising would actually be a better result for us, providing Dundee lost on penalties.

I worked it out earlier with a lot of perms 

If accies beat Edinburgh and Livi by 2/3 on agg they will leap frog Ayr and provided St Mirren don't get a cricket score v Edinburgh city we will finish above the second team in that group. 

Also the St Johnstone group we would require a couple of shock results for that group to finish above us. 

If killie beat Albion by 4 we would need a 3 goal margin of victory to better killies goals scored column. 

To better the runners up in the Motherwell group we need to better Motherwells score away to Stranraer 

if peterhead hold out a few mins we will better second in that group with a win over stenny. 

Eta 2-0 Peterhead 

Alloa and rovers in driving seat in that one but a draw with Alloa winning on pens or a heavy Raith winwould be good results providing we take care of Stenny.

Edited by Broony88

Me trying to figure out whether we're in a good position to go through or not..

blackadder-confused.gif

Snap. **Insert Joey trying to do division meme**

Hadn't noticed East Fife have played their final game so Peterhead winning was in fact a good result for us :)

We really need SD to do an update on the the thing he put on the Cup forum yesterday.

He's so selfish though that he's not done it.  These games have been finished now for over an hour, but still nothing.  I can't believe that guy at times.

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We really need SD to do an update on the the thing he put on the Cup forum yesterday.

He's so selfish though that he's not done it.  These games have been finished now for over an hour, but still nothing.  I can't believe that guy at times.

I am in a kit van on my way back from Workington. Gie's a chance! ;-)

For what its worth though I think to go through we need only win by two goals less than Killie and three goals less than St Mirren. Or outscore Motherwell. Thats on a rough check and would get easier still if Raith dont get at least 2 points off Alloa or Dundee United drop anything v Dunfermline.

I need to look at it properly though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I am in a kit van on my way back grom Workington. Gie's a chance! ;-)

For what its worth though I think to go through we need only win by two goals less than Killie and three goals less than St Mirren. Or outscore Motherwell. Thats on a rough check and would get easier still if Raith dont get at least 2 points off Alloa or Dundee United drop anything v Dunfermline.

I need to look at it properly though.

Further good work, as was Broony's earlier.

It looks a bit better then.  So long as we don't screw up against Stenhousemuir, we might yet be alright.

I will provide more detail tomorrow when at a desktop but.....

IF we beat Stenny and get 9 points and at least a +4GD then:

We are guaranteed to finish better than the runner up in groups A and B. We need to outdo two of the other five runners up. It is likely two teams in Group C will make 10 and a fair chance both teams in Group D will outpoint us too.

That would leave us in a two from 4 scenario with runners up in groups E - H. We currently have same GD as Motherwell (who play Stranraer), 3 better than Kilmarnock (who play Albion Rovers) and 4 better than St Mirren (who play Edinburgh City).

We need to win by no less than 2 less than Killie and 3 less than St Mirren (or by more than Motherwell if we fail on one of the first two). If Alloa beat Raith (even on pens) then it becomes even easier as 3 of 4 would get in. If Dunfermline beat United they too would join that calculation instead of United going through on 10.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I will provide more detail tomorrow when at a desktop but.....

IF we beat Stenny and get 9 points and at least a +4GD then:

We are guaranteed to finish better than the runner up in groups A and B. We need to outdo two of the other five runners up. It is likely two teams in Group C will make 10 and a fair chance both teams in Group D will outpoint us too.

That would leave us in a two from 4 scenario with runners up in groups E - H. We currently have same GD as Motherwell (who play Stranraer), 3 better than Kilmarnock (who play Albion Rovers) and 4 better than St Mirren (who play Edinburgh City).

We need to win by no less than 2 less than Killie and 3 less than St Mirren (or by more than Motherwell if we fail on one of the first two). If Alloa beat Raith (even on pens) then it becomes even easier as 3 of 4 would get in. If Dunfermline beat United they too would join that calculation instead of United going through on 10.

I think this sums it up. To finish one of the best 4 runners up we need to beat Stenny and then have 2 of the following happen:

- St Mirren win by no more than 3 more than us or Hamilton fail to win one of their two remaining games
- Kilmarnock win by no more than 2 more than us
- Motherwell win by less than us
- Alloa beat Raith (90 mins or penalties both fine)
- Raith beat Alloa in 90 mins and generate a 5 goal swing with our GD relative to Alloa's
- Dunfermline win by same or less margin we do or Inverness lose to Arbroath (either in 90 mins or on pens)
- Dundee United win on penalties while we beat Stenny by at least three or Inverness lose to Arbroath (either in 90 mins or on pens)

We could of course still win the group in theory but that would need Thistle to lose at home to Queens Park.

Edited by Skyline Drifter