How will you vote in our democratically mandated indyref 2 - 19/10/2023 (compared to 2014)

MONKMAN

Should Scotland be an independent country?   

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:
Worse than that, do you remember the then UK Defence Secretary Philip Hammond saying an independent Scotland would be more vulnerable to risks from ... outer space. emoji23.png

That was George Robertson

Robertson was ' forces of darkness', Hammond talked of the threat from space, was it not?

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Ireland has no oil whatsoever and a far better standard of living and GDP per capita than the UK...
So please explain why we are too stupid to build a better, fairer, richer society?
As opposed to the romantic, patriotic bile.

Tax dodging multinationals taking advantage of Ireland being a tax haven are behind that

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/leprechaun-economics-key-to-understanding-us-corporate-tax-proposal-1.4533410

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
11 minutes ago, Eric said:
Tax dodging multinationals taking advantage of Ireland being a tax haven are behind that
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/leprechaun-economics-key-to-understanding-us-corporate-tax-proposal-1.4533410

Ffs. Tell that to the Irish people and their self determining government

The same self determining government that had to increase their corporate tax rate because the EU had a hissy fit

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/europe-has-done-a-number-on-the-irish-corporate-tax-rate-1.4596332

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58832429

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/07/ireland-poised-to-drop-125-tax-rate-in-oecd-global-pact

Edited by Eric's Cantina

You choose to digest what you want.
Ireland is beating the UK on all key indicators and its people have a better quality of living.
You do realise that smaller countries generally need inward investment and I would be all for Scotland reducing their corporation tax to attract this. Trying to compare the current powers Ireland have vs Scotland is just laughable and frankly foolish on your part

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

You choose to digest what you want.
Ireland is beating the UK on all key indicators and its people have a better quality of living.
You do realise that smaller countries generally need inward investment and I would be all for Scotland reducing their corporation tax to attract this. Trying to compare the current powers Ireland have vs Scotland is just laughable and frankly foolish on your part

Lies , Dammed lies and Statistics , also how you can be independent inside the EU? surely the whole point of independence is all decisions are taken within Scotland

1 minute ago, Eric's Cantina said:

Lies , Dammed lies and Statistics , also how you can be independent inside the EU? surely the whole point of independence is all decisions are taken within Scotland

Uh - no it isn’t. Outside of North Korea, I’m not sure if all decisions are taken domestically in any nation (and I’m not even convinced about North Korea).

48 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Ireland has no oil whatsoever and a far better standard of living and GDP per capita than the UK...
So please explain why we are too stupid to build a better, fairer, richer society?
As opposed to the romantic, patriotic bile.

Who is trying to make that point? 

one question I have about Scotland rejoining the EU after an independence win, is whos going to make that desicion, will it be a referendum? I would hope it is along with any other fundamental questions that need taken.

I guess its not maybe discussed yet as I havent read anything 

Edited by BigDoddyKane

9 hours ago, Zern said:

Oh do shut up. The EU is not he caricature that it is portrayed as, nor as monolithic. We can work with it, because it works through negotiation and recognition.

It functions. It grants us benefits. It grants us protections. We gain more than we lose.

We would be no more a nation of equals in the EU than we are in the UK.

It's not just about money, the Brits want to remain British. You are not going to vote to leave the UK if you cannot remain British.

You have to guarantee them that they will always have a British passport if they want one. They are not losing anything.

The Scottish can have a Scottish passport and the Brits remain Brits. 

25 minutes ago, strichener said:

We would be no more a nation of equals in the EU than we are in the UK.

Untrue. We wouldn't have to go to court to decide the legality of a referendum for one thing.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It's not just about money, the Brits want to remain British. You are not going to vote to leave the UK if you cannot remain British.

You have to guarantee them that they will always have a British passport if they want one. They are not losing anything.

The Scottish can have a Scottish passport and the Brits remain Brits. 

I suppose it would be churlish to point out that unless Scotland somehow saws itself off from England at the border and engineers a tectonic shift that sees it float off into the North Sea, its people will always be British. Just because the UK has hijacked the term (presumably because UKish sounds rank) that doesn’t mean they own it. In fact, would people from the rUK have any more right to the term “British”?

After all, wouldn’t they have to rebrand (again) as the United Territories of the Former Kingdom of England, Principality of Wales, and Partition of Northern Ireland? Or even the United Territories of Southern Great Britain and Northern Ireland? (United Kingdom would be shafted as England would be the only kingdom, united not with another kingdom but with Wales and Northern Ireland. Maybe they’re so desperate to keep us to save on the admin - though you’d think the Tories would be dying to sell off rebranding responsibilities to their pals in pet food or recruitment or underwear manufacturing).

Edited by Antlion

I voted No in 2014. I would vote Yes the next time around. 

For me, it is mostly about how unbalanced and unequal the country has become - and continues to become - in so many respects. Both economically and politically, the UK is skewed too much towards the supposed needs of London and the south-east of England. The UK is still far too centralised. This leads to bad policy and poor outcomes for too much of the country, including swathes of England. 

Fundamentally, I think the UK is broken. And, frankly, from both the Tories and Labour, I do not see a compelling plan or even much appetite to properly restructure the country and distribute power and opportunities across the country. 

I wouldn't expect this to be fixed overnight by a Yes vote, of course. I would like Sturgeon and the SNP to be bolder about devolving power. But, in the longer term, I would hope that we would see improvements on this front as an independent country, even if under new leadership. Unfortunately, it feels like the UK is past the point of no return on that front. 

That is what I meant in another post about England being weighed down by the Union, same as all the countries are though for different reasons.

An England that is no longer "leading" the union if Scotland and whoever else leaves it would imo quite quickly rediscover itself and find a more modern identity that looks more forward than to the past

Independence for Scotland is a win win for Scotland and England, imo ofcourse