How will you vote in our democratically mandated indyref 2 - 19/10/2023 (compared to 2014)

MONKMAN

Should Scotland be an independent country?   

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I only knew because of Falkirk's mighty European adventure! There's no airport so folk were coming in to Vaduz in cars and buses from multiple directions.

Cracking away trip to Vaduz, though the stadium is in the middle of nowhere. The scenery is unreal.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Cracking away trip to Vaduz, though the stadium is in the middle of nowhere. The scenery is unreal.

I remember it being less than a mile from the town centre, though it was pishing down, got utterly drenched after the game. 

4 hours ago, G51 said:

The EU will always do what is right for France and Germany. It doesn't give a f*ck about anyone else.

I know a that's a fairly common argument but it doesn't take long to find out which small companies and business initiatives have been helped by EU money. I was on Lewis a few weeks ago - the bridge between Scalpay and Harris got £16m EU money and I'm sure Harris gin benefitted from a substantial financial input as well. Ironically, Brexit is proving a total nightmare for their exports to Europe. The Western Isles are reckoned to have had £90million of European money over 25 years. So just from that perspective the statement doesn't hold up.

41 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

God, that brings back memories.

Stayed in Zurich and bussed to Vaduz.

Got the train from Zurich to the border, found a hotel and bussed it from there.

10 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The whole journey from Zurich was spectacular, loved the double decker trains and beer trolley!

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I remember it being less than a mile from the town centre, though it was pishing down, got utterly drenched after the game. 

Think I have been to watch Aarau there on 4 occasions, every time you get the train to Vaduz and they organise busses direct to the stadium. Only a 5 minute drive I guess, just seems far more remote than it is due to the scenery.

6 can journey one way from Aarau to Vaduz, and beer on tap when you are there. It has proven to be a very dangerous away day for me.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Think I have been to watch Aarau there on 4 occasions, every time you get the train to Vaduz and they organise busses direct to the stadium. Only a 5 minute drive I guess, just seems far more remote than it is due to the scenery.

6 can journey one way from Aarau to Vaduz, and beer on tap when you are there. It has proven to be a very dangerous away day for me.

They conned us with warm alcohol free lager at the ground, the c***s..

P.S. You might have had a bit too much beer on the way there, pretty sure there are no trains in Liechtenstein, you have to get a bus from the Swiss border to Vazuz.

Edited by welshbairn

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They conned us with warm alcohol free lager at the ground, the c***s..

P.S. You might have had a bit too much beer on the way there, pretty sure there are no trains in Liechtenstein, you have to get a bus from the Swiss border to Vazuz.

You are correct on the train thing. Usually get the train to Buchs(Which is a few hundred meters from the border) and the bus on from there.

The alcohol free beer is a UEFA thing. I got caught out with that at Luzern v St Johnstone.

Edited by Ross.

Without going into the specifics of the "affordability" argument, what is it that Ireland, Belgium, Denmark etc etc have that makes them financially viable that Scotland doesn't? Scotland has access to far more natural resources both in terms of current and future energy policy. Scotland has an educated workforce. Scotland has plenty of scope to develop. 

What exactly is it that Scotland can't do that everyone else can - apart from influence potentially malign behaviour from its near neighbour. If the UK being an arsehole is reason to stay where we are then f**k that. 

Anyone who thinks staying in the UK isn't just as much of a financial risk right now as leaving it hasn't been paying attention over the last 6 months. Unfortunately I doubt they'll be able to ignore it come winter.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

They probably haven't got a benefit system that makes it just as beneficial for too many not to actually work.

Would love to know the unemployment rates in these countries as well, in comparison to ourselves, which again is largely funded from taxpayers / the public purse.

Do these countries also have a minimum wage in place? Great in theory but crippling businesses at the same time.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

All things that will be expected to continue in an independent country.

Too many on benefits propping up boozers day in day out, up and down the country. Can't work apparently. 😂😂

Having a nice chat you two? :rolleyes:

I'm yet to be convinced that we, as an independent country, could financially make this dream actually work.
I love the romanticism and patriotism of being an independent country but remember back to 2014 when oil reserves were a huge selling point for a yes vote? They would sustain us for years to come. That proved to be a massive white elephant. We can't afford to leave and find we can't actually sustain ourselves.
For me, there's still far too many huge question marks over a number of important matters to just glibly and blindly say yes.
Ireland has no oil whatsoever and a far better standard of living and GDP per capita than the UK...
So please explain why we are too stupid to build a better, fairer, richer society?
As opposed to the romantic, patriotic bile.