Madainn mhath dhuibh

Syme

Just back in the UK after a very long time away. (Not "away" as in Saughton or the Bar-L) Semi-retired. In London just now. Not sure to stay. Very much doubt I'll go back to Scotland. Will likely watch a few games on visits.

Grew up in Edinburgh. Rugby school. Went to Hearts & Hibs now and then but wasn't captivated by Turnbull's Tornadoes. Didn't feel enough sympathy for a struggling yo-yo Hearts to follow them. Used to watch the erse cheeks too, especially in Europe or playing each other. 

Always had a soft spot for Morton. Maybe because the club seemed to mean more to Greenock than most clubs mean to their town. Maybe because I admired Andy Ritchie. Maybe because Jim McLaren in "Porridge" supported them. Even went to a couple of games at Cappielow on a couple of brief visits to Scotland in the noughties.

From afar, Scottish football appears strange. I find Celtic's political posturing amusing. Perhaps it's "political correctness" but I've not seen the term "plastic paddy" in print for nigh on 20 years. Used to be applied regularly to lads waving tricolours who've not been west of Saltcoats. It's due a comeback. I like my Rangers fans to be of the fierce variety, rather than merely staunch. It's comforting that so many still appear to be. The public pronouncements on "inclusion" from the Ibrox boardroom grate with me. 

Hearts still seem to be Hearts. Conservative, saving their bawbees, many likely still attending chapel. Hibs look to be transitioning into St. Pauli. Leith messageboards suggest the average Hibby has transitioned from a wannabe Francis Begbie or Bradley Welsh into Neil from "The Young Ones." I can't believe that's a genuine reflection of their supporters.

I get the impression of widespread approval for the charitable donations being handed to second-rate players at Cove, Kelty, Queen's Park, Brora and Darvel. I find this perplexing. I do not approve. 

I'll not be posting in politics sections. Last UK politician I voted for was Ken Livingstone, when I was living in County Cricklewood in London. I view a career apparatchik, leading a movement that's striving to better the lives of a constituency made up of the working classes, as being acceptable. Career apparatchiks striving to better the lives of a constituency of career apparatchiks is less agreeable. I can't see that I'd ever vote for a Labour Party candidate again. Having lived in two countries that have ruptured on ethnic lines, I shall keep my views on the SNP to myself.

I find the opinions of 90%+ of Scottish fans on David Martindale and David Goodwillie unsettling. 

Ditto what could be termed "The hate that hate produced" surrounding The Rangers Football Club (2012) Limited.

I shall try not to offend any more folk than is necessary.

7 hours ago, Syme said:

Just back in the UK after a very long time away. (Not "away" as in Saughton or the Bar-L) Semi-retired. In London just now. Not sure to stay. Very much doubt I'll go back to Scotland. Will likely watch a few games on visits.

Grew up in Edinburgh. Rugby school. Went to Hearts & Hibs now and then but wasn't captivated by Turnbull's Tornadoes. Didn't feel enough sympathy for a struggling yo-yo Hearts to follow them. Used to watch the erse cheeks too, especially in Europe or playing each other. 

Always had a soft spot for Morton. Maybe because the club seemed to mean more to Greenock than most clubs mean to their town. Maybe because I admired Andy Ritchie. Maybe because Jim McLaren in "Porridge" supported them. Even went to a couple of games at Cappielow on a couple of brief visits to Scotland in the noughties.

From afar, Scottish football appears strange. I find Celtic's political posturing amusing. Perhaps it's "political correctness" but I've not seen the term "plastic paddy" in print for nigh on 20 years. Used to be applied regularly to lads waving tricolours who've not been west of Saltcoats. It's due a comeback. I like my Rangers fans to be of the fierce variety, rather than merely staunch. It's comforting that so many still appear to be. The public pronouncements on "inclusion" from the Ibrox boardroom grate with me. 

Hearts still seem to be Hearts. Conservative, saving their bawbees, many likely still attending chapel. Hibs look to be transitioning into St. Pauli. Leith messageboards suggest the average Hibby has transitioned from a wannabe Francis Begbie or Bradley Welsh into Neil from "The Young Ones." I can't believe that's a genuine reflection of their supporters.

I get the impression of widespread approval for the charitable donations being handed to second-rate players at Cove, Kelty, Queen's Park, Brora and Darvel. I find this perplexing. I do not approve. 

I'll not be posting in politics sections. Last UK politician I voted for was Ken Livingstone, when I was living in County Cricklewood in London. I view a career apparatchik, leading a movement that's striving to better the lives of a constituency made up of the working classes, as being acceptable. Career apparatchiks striving to better the lives of a constituency of career apparatchiks is less agreeable. I can't see that I'd ever vote for a Labour Party candidate again. Having lived in two countries that have ruptured on ethnic lines, I shall keep my views on the SNP to myself.

I find the opinions of 90%+ of Scottish fans on David Martindale and David Goodwillie unsettling. 

Ditto what could be termed "The hate that hate produced" surrounding The Rangers Football Club (2012) Limited.

I shall try not to offend any more folk than is necessary.

@Clown Job