Coincidence

BFTD

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My uncle and niece share a birthday. 

Apparently you only need to assemble a group of 23 people for there to be a 50% chance that two of them will have been born on the same day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

People who genuinely understand probability are interesting. I don't think the human brain is wired for it at all.

Also, a kid I knew at school informed us that he was born the day after his father. I don't think he ever worked out why everyone found that so amusing.

All separate months, but mrs B and i were both born on the 16th.
My oldest son and youngest nephew were born on the 11th of their respective months and my youngest son and oldest nephew born on the 28th.
There was also a guy i went to school with, we were born on the same day, just shy of 12 hours apart and shared the same first name.

We have a dog and one night, while i was sitting on the couch, he came up beside me and tucked his head right into my side (facing inwards). I did wonder why he had done this, but never bothered to take the two minutes to google it. The following day, a young caller to James O’Briens’ mystery hour said her dog had done the exact same with her thing and she rung in to find out why. Obviously the coincidence here is that all dogs probably do this, but the fact it was a question on a national programme the following day.

On 11/07/2022 at 00:07, Raidernation said:

It only takes 23 people in a room for the likelihood of the same birthday ( day/month not year) to exceed 50%

I have (had) 10 cousins + myself and my brother = 12. Three of us share the same birthday ( 9 years between cousin and me, 12 years between me and cousin, cousins not related).

Went for a pish in club in Nice when travelling and got chatting to a guy from Sweden next to me. When he found out I was Scottish he told me he'd been born in Scotland.

Do you know what hospital, I asked? "Simpson Memorial" he said. 

Huh, me too I replied. What year? 

"1981"

Hah, me too! What's your birthday I asked? 

June --th he replied.

The exact same date as I was born. I would have pished myself if I allready wasn't doing it.

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I was talking about absence with a guy in my work on Monday. In 12 years at the one place he's been off once, with snow. He never made it in today because the clutch on his car went.

I reckon this is more cause and effect than coincidence. 

Your conversation probably made him very aware that he was long overdue a sickie and he'd still be well below average. Add in the pleasant weather and bingo. Clutch my arse. 

I live in house where everyone was born on a Wednesday ( apart from me) 4 folk, Which is classed as the day of unknown/wanderer . I was born on Thursday.  the teacher/leader day.

It's like herding cats. 

27 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Went for a pish in club in Nice when travelling and got chatting to a guy from Sweden next to me. When he found out I was Scottish he told me he'd been born in Scotland.

Do you know what hospital, I asked? "Simpson Memorial" he said. 

Huh, me too I replied. What year? 

"1981"

Hah, me too! What's your birthday I asked? 

June --th he replied.

The exact same date as I was born. I would have pished myself if I allready wasn't doing it.

You were talking to yourself in the mirror, you pickled ha'p'orth!

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Clutch my arse. 

if-you-insist-sure-if-you-insist.gif

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Apparently you only need to assemble a group of 23 people for there to be a 50% chance that two of them will have been born on the same day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

People who genuinely understand probability are interesting. I don't think the human brain is wired for it at all.

Also, a kid I knew at school informed us that he was born the day after his father. I don't think he ever worked out why everyone found that so amusing.

So was my brother. Maybe it was him...

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

So was my brother. Maybe it was him...

Better than being born before him, I guess.

Family tree like an Escher drawing.

26 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I reckon this is more cause and effect than coincidence. 

Your conversation probably made him very aware that he was long overdue a sickie and he'd still be well below average. Add in the pleasant weather and bingo. Clutch my arse. 

tenor.gif

20 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Myself and my younger granddaughter have the same birthday. And it’s apparently a statically “rare” birthday

29th February?

A few weeks ago, on a whim I decided to play Depeche Mode while I was kicking around doing a bit of housework. Stuck on 'Ultra' and opened the BBC news page, only to see that a few minutes earlier they had posted the news that Andy Fletcher had died.

Ignoring the fact he must have died hours, if not a good day or two before my off-the-cuff decision, I clearly possess the power to kill musicians and artists simply by playing their music. I'm open to requests for a small fee.

56 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

A few weeks ago, on a whim I decided to play Depeche Mode while I was kicking around doing a bit of housework. Stuck on 'Ultra' and opened the BBC news page, only to see that a few minutes earlier they had posted the news that Andy Fletcher had died.

Ignoring the fact he must have died hours, if not a good day or two before my off-the-cuff decision, I clearly possess the power to kill musicians and artists simply by playing their music. I'm open to requests for a small fee.

image.thumb.jpeg.13ac6a07d7f9018108c1a7c8446faa1b.jpeg

As long as you don't mind having your hard drive checked we're good to go. £7.50 and a packet of Scampi Fries sound good to you?

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

D3E37AA8-B52C-4225-BBC4-CE2958B879AD.gif.a8f8b5e87232fc0c11c2b3b633f4fe85.gif

£50?

Regarding the birthday thing, Antoine Griezmann’s 3 daughters were all born on 8th April, 2016, 2019 and 2021. I’m not sure the odds on that, but he’s clearly getting a ride on the same day every year.