Coincidence

BFTD

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

A guy I work with on an ad-hoc basis has this remarkable ability to cause a rig/platform to have some form of drilling failure on a consistent basis, despite not being actively involved.

Last week, two 'bottom hole assemblies' broke during drilling in the space of our first three days (leaving no drill bit on a drilling rig), happily adding five extra days to the timesheet.  

@Jacksgranda

Years and years ago my old boy saw a young lad get walloped by a tram - my old boy ran to help him and his pal.

Life moved on. until one day he was doddering about the transport museum and bumped into the same two lads by one of the old trams they have in there - they were out celebrating 60 years palling about together that very day, which was coincidentally the exact same day he got walloped by the tram.

Unfortunately, my old boy passed away the same day after getting run over by a bus. Found in the road with a flat tankard next to him. RIP.

Not as interesting as others but when I was young we used to go on holiday to campsites in France every year. One time we met this family we knew from home, we didn’t know them particularly well so it was just a coincidence. The next year we were going to a different site and on the boat we ran into them again, asked what site they were going to and they were going to the same site as us.

8 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Not as interesting as others but when I was young we used to go on holiday to campsites in France every year. One time we met this family we knew from home, we didn’t know them particularly well so it was just a coincidence. The next year we were going to a different site and on the boat we ran into them again, asked what site they were going to and they were going to the same site as us.

“The next year, they hunted us down and murdered us in cold blood.”

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A guy I work with on an ad-hoc basis has this remarkable ability to cause a rig/platform to have some form of drilling failure on a consistent basis, despite not being actively involved.

Last week, two 'bottom hole assemblies' broke during drilling in the space of our first three days (leaving no drill bit on a drilling rig), happily adding five extra days to the timesheet.  

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

See the source image

On 03/07/2022 at 06:59, throbber said:

The travelling ones really aren’t as huge a coincidence as you might think - people from U.K. are forever going out to Australia / New Zealand to work and stop off in east Asia en route and will go to popular places for tourists to visit. Bondi area of Sydney and St Kilda in Melbourne are awash with Brits, you’re highly likely to bump into people you know from back home but people get all funny about it because it’s geographically so far away.

This is probably pretty true. When I was about 7 I went on holiday to Gran Canaria and in a McDonalds saw a lassie who I knew from my Gran's bit in Monifieth. But like you say, minks of a feather holiday together.

2 hours ago, RawB93 said:

This is probably pretty true. When I was about 7 I went on holiday to Gran Canaria and in a McDonalds saw a lassie who I knew from my Gran's bit in Monifieth. But like you say, minks of a feather holiday together.

Well yeah, people go from U.K. - Gran Canaria in their hoards so it’s not really that outrageous to see somebody you know out there. The same applies to Sydney/Melbourne even though it’s at the opposite side of the world. If you’re going to spend a year or so living in/travelling these popular places it’s inevitable you’re going to bump into people you know from home. 

Would be a total wild coincidence if you bumped into someone from your own village in Fife pin a premier inn outside of Hull because the two of you fancied something a bit different. 

17 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I once bought a lottery ticket for a Saturday draw and it didn't win me the jackpot.  The next Saturday I did the same and I never won either.

Coincidence ??   Or maybe just bad luck ??

In 2009 the Bulgarian lottery drew the same numbers twice in 5 days.

Was at a party for family and friends years ago, and at one point in the night noticed 3 guys who as far as anyone was aware had never met before, were sitting having a full on conversation full of stories and laughter; my dad (who'd lived abroad for a few years and was back in Scotland for the summer), the dad of my sisters new-ish boyfriend who had been invited to meet everyone for the first time, and one of my mates' dad.

I went over and said something along the lines of "yous seem to be getting on like a house on fire!". Turned out the 3 of them had worked in the same kitchen on an offshore rig about 15/20 years earlier.

Just remembered another one. Also Australia related.

About 15 year ago I was working for a call centre doing market research. Phoning up companies persuading some poor sod to do a 15 minute survey. It was international so I volunteered to do night shift sometimes and phone Australia. Better pay. Easier work. 

Anyway I was asking questions about heavy duty gloves on construction sites to find out what was important to whoever was buying them. Strength, cost, etc. All that pish and the guy who I get put through to is friendly and chatting away and ye can tell he's just trying to have a skive while we went through it so he looked busy. Got chatting and he asked where I was in Australia and I explained I was in Glasgow. He was surprised at this because, in our conversation, I'd mentioned Ballarat when it came up having had a few nights out there. So I explained I had spent a few months in Australia a few years previously mostly in Melton.

"No way. My mate Jim lives in Melton and he's Scottish too"
"It's naw my uncle is it?"

Turns out it was my uncle. Turns out I had met this guy at my uncle's 40th. Turns out me and this guy had had a long conversation about Madness and 2nd wave ska. When I found this out I said "Fucking hell"

That call ended up being the random call that was picked up by the company for quality control and I nearly got sacked for saying "fucking hell" but, under the circumstances, they understood why I had said it.

I saw a documentary once about a young guy who was adopted at birth and did a bit of travelling when he grew up. On one of his travels, he got into a fight with some old man and killed him. Later on he met the old bloke's wife and shagged her. You wouldn't believe who they turned out to be!

No idea, but the young guy must have been Boris Johnson, surely.

Also Australia related my mums cousin went out there in his early 20’s with his then girlfriend to do fruit picking, his Mrs ended up turning lesbian then leaving him for another woman. He stayed in Australia however and ended up meeting a local lady and they married and had 2 kids and when the youngest was about 25 his wife packed up and left him for another woman as well.

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

Also Australia related my mums cousin went out there in his early 20’s with his then girlfriend to do fruit picking, his Mrs ended up turning lesbian then leaving him for another woman. He stayed in Australia however and ended up meeting a local lady and they married and had 2 kids and when the youngest was about 25 his wife packed up and left him for another woman as well.

I don't think that's any coincidence

A couple of brother related ones.

In 1992, my younger brother had not long passed his driving test and asked me if I fancied a drive from Aberdeen to Dundee to watch champions Dundee play Montrose in the last game of the season.

It was pay at the gate and there was quite a big crowd. We decided to sit in the Derry, which was very busy. We eventually found seats and sat down right next to our other brother who had also decided off the cuff to go to the game with a couple of pals.

The other brother related coincidence was around 20 years ago. All 3 of us went on different days to the same shop and bought exactly the same make, size, model and colour of running shoes… my younger brother wasn’t even a runner.

Edited by Tattie36