Coincidence

BFTD

55 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Don’t you have some sort of family breeding ceremony where your dad comes in and pumps your bride as everyone cheers and bangs the door?

Nah nothing like that - she had been married 6 years at that point and me and the Mrs weren’t even married so the timing of it all was pretty random. I impregnated her the morning after Man Utd won the Europa league final v Ajax and it was the day of the Scotland England griffiths free kicks we found out the news of pregnancies. I was also grotesquely over weight at the time and a full blown alcoholic slob recovering from 4 years of being a student and constantly posting on here.

39 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was also grotesquely over weight at the time and a full blown alcoholic slob recovering from 4 years of being a student and constantly posting on here.

You were much nicer back then.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I impregnated her the morning after Man Utd won the Europa league final v Ajax

By sheer coincidence, I was in Stockholm for that game.

Anyway, few random occurrences I know about

Me and my mate were in a bar in Singapore and we got speaking to an Welsh girl.  Bumped into the same girl the following year in Cairns, Australia. 

A mobbed Bondi beach in the middle of summer, speaking to a group of girls from the south coast of England.  Turns out one of the girls had an auntie and uncle from Dumfries, who were both my teachers.

My Auntie was walking down Rodeo drive in LA, and got tapped on the shoulder by a guy she went to school with 40 years earlier.

In London on the same day, I seen my mates sister on the underground and seen a girl in a bar that I used to work with.

Edited by MONKMAN

12 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Me and my mate were in a bar in Singapore and we got speaking to an Welsh girl.  Bumped into the same girl the following year in Cairns, Australia. 

A mobbed Bondi beach in the middle of summer, speaking to a group of girls from the south coast of England.  Turns out one of the girls had an auntie and uncle from Dumfries, who were both my teachers.

My Auntie was walking down Rodeo drive in LA, and got tapped on the shoulder by a guy she went to school with 40 years earlier.

In London on the same day, I seen my mates sister on the underground and seen a girl in a bar that I used to work with.

The travelling ones really aren’t as huge a coincidence as you might think - people from U.K. are forever going out to Australia / New Zealand to work and stop off in east Asia en route and will go to popular places for tourists to visit. Bondi area of Sydney and St Kilda in Melbourne are awash with Brits, you’re highly likely to bump into people you know from back home but people get all funny about it because it’s geographically so far away.

Me and the Mrs were in a restaurant in Vietnam and two Scottish ladies heard our accents and started talking to us and found out I knew one of their friends and they couldn’t get over how outrageous a coincidence it all was when the reality was we were in a popular tourist destination and they began speaking to us because they knew we were Scottish.

I was at an NFL game in Oakland  California about 3 years ago and at the train station after the game I saw a young guy wearing a "Wildcats" hoodie. I say to him "that's a strange coincidence, I used to play for a team in Scotland called the Wildcats, where are your ones based?" 

It was the same team.

Worked in a call centre for a mobile provider years ago, was blethering away to the boy next to me about fitba, and he was talking about players Celtic should sign and mentioned Irish international Kevin Doyle who was at Reading.

Within maybe half an hour of that conversation, a call came through to me from Irish international Kevin Doyle who was at Reading.

On 03/07/2022 at 01:26, MONKMAN said:

Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people are six or fewer social connections away from each other. As a result, a chain of "friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It is also known as the six handshakes rule.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people are six or fewer social connections away from each other. As a result, a chain of "friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It is also known as the six handshakes rule.

What about the remaining few uncontacted tribes in the Amazon? Or people who don't have friends? 

Utter shite theory. 

However, all people in films can be connected to Kevin Bacon through six or fewer co-stars. 

37 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What about the remaining few uncontacted tribes in the Amazon? Or people who don't have friends? 

Utter shite theory. 

However, all people in films can be connected to Kevin Bacon through six or fewer co-stars. 

The exceptions that prove the rule.

A guy I work with on an ad-hoc basis has this remarkable ability to cause a rig/platform to have some form of drilling failure on a consistent basis, despite not being actively involved.

Last week, two 'bottom hole assemblies' broke during drilling in the space of our first three days (leaving no drill bit on a drilling rig), happily adding five extra days to the timesheet.