The years of discontent, 2022/23

Just now, oaksoft said:

Get off your arse and search yourself instead of constantly asking me and you'll find people arguing both sides.

Make your own mind up and argue your case.

You are making the claim that wage increases in line with inflation will cause further inflation. I am asking you to support your claim. That’s how debate works.

Correlation is not the same as causation. Keep that in mind when you provide evidence to back up your view.

Just now, oaksoft said:

If you can be bothered to actually read the thread you'll find my reasoning in more than one place.

I'm not interested in being "sea-lioned" thanks.

I’ve read your reasoning. I’m asking if there is actual real world evidence that supports your reasoning.

It's probably pure coincidence that some folk are suddenly interested in the plight of people at the bottom of society since they've personally found themselves with less money to spend on life's frivolities.

No doubt their support will continue once they find themselves back in the pink.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

So has anyone involved in the negotiations spun this yet as actually being a higher than 3.4% rise because of the reduction in working hours.

What's the reasons for refusal?

In fairness to the police federation they’ve put their costed and fully rationalised pay request in writing and its in the public domain yes. Couldn’t tell you the reason for the refusal, the ‘official side’ dont give reasons for their decisions.  

44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

3.4% is a perfectly reasonable pay rise request.

I can only assume it's the cut in working hours which is the problem because it then requires extra money to be for staffing.

Not really, so your typical ‘response’ policing shift in Glasgow is 0700hrs-1600hrs sun-thurs or 0700hrs-1700hrs fri and sat, late shifts are 1400-0000hrs sun- thurs and 1600hrs - 0200hrs fri and sat. Nights are 2100hrs-0700hrs fri and sat and 2200hrs-0700hrs sun-thurs. The request is to drop an average of 5 hours per week which on the shift pattern can be done by shortening the shift times on early and late shift by finishing an hour earlier (with a 1 hour handover time) and starting nightshifts an hour later. Currently the handover between night to day shift relies on people coming in to start their shift early for no payment, PC’s are asked to ‘muster’ 20 minutes early and most Inspectors and Sergeants (ie shift management) will report for duty and get a handover from the previous shift between 45-30minutes before the start of shift without pay. The action proposed by the federation ‘ie removal of goodwill’ will lead to there being no handover time between night and day shift which will cause overtime to be incurred. 

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

This is only true for the well off/rich people. Think about it. The less well off spend most of their money on essentials (rent, food, electricity etc). Most of them lost their income during covid which was replaced by furlough. However, they still needed to spend the same money on the same essentials. Actually, a lot of them only got 80% of their normal income in line with furlough.

The well off are able to spend their money on holidays etc. However, during furlough, they were unable to go on these holidays so were able to accumulate this extra cash in their pocket.

It is the main reason why houses prices were crazy during lockdown as the well off were using the additional cash they accumulated to then accumulate more assets.

So most people won’t have been able to save massively. The savings increased because it was the rich getting richer.

Well no, this is only true if you expand 'well off' to mean the vast majority of the UK population. 

Most people benefited financially from no longer commuting and paying fares; petrol demand collapsed from households because no c**t was going anywhere; pubs, restaurants, live events etc. were all fucked over for ages. And the vast majority of people also didn't go on a holiday as usual - this is not some mark of elite privilege. 

The rich were already saving and investing money. The economic facts during the pandemic show that the majority of households were able to save disposable income that could no longer be used - there was practically nothing available to dispose of it. UK household and personal debt was paid off at record levels in spring 2020 - that was not being done by the rich, because the rich do not have long-term credit card debt that they're paying the bare minimum to cover each month.

It was a financial reset for most - but certainly not all - in society. And that chance event has actually left most UK households in a better place to ride out the current shock than they were in December 2019 because their existing borrowing burden is much lower.

Edited by vikingTON

40,000 BT call center workers withdrawing their labour. Nicely done.

Edit - Actually only 9000 folk on the phones and 30,000 openreach engineers so that could be damaging if connectivity it lost and there isn't enough engineers to restore the phone lines, they might even have responsibilities in the civil contingency act which presumably they have to meet either via staff not on strike or agency workers.

Edited by 101

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

I phoned Scottish Power and got through in 3 minutes. It was like being in the twilight zone. 

Hope they are getting paid for such efficiency. 

36 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

IMG_2256.jpg

Says it all really. Mon the strikers.

I’ve been with BT for many years. 

We currently have Broadband, Landline, and Mobile.

But as soon I have a 5G capable device and the mobile costs are affordable to meet my data needs I will be switching off my Broadband and Landline and just using my mobile as a WAP.

Maybe I should upgrade from my Nokia 3310. Fantastic phone and battery lasts ages.

B9F70DEF-DB37-43C3-B2FC-3922C300F3DE.thumb.jpeg.6e625c6dd5fe4f5c97d680678902182d.jpeg

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

In fairness to the police federation they’ve put their costed and fully rationalised pay request in writing and its in the public domain yes. Couldn’t tell you the reason for the refusal, the ‘official side’ dont give reasons for their decisions.  

A helpful explanation and I think that the police absolutely deserve the deal that they've asked for.

Rather than fixating on the bottom line take-home figure, there should be more emphasis on improving practices, adjusting working hours and recognising existing goodwill as part of the bargaining process as in the police case.

Employees across many sectors are leaving money on the table through goodwill, that should be clawed back by recognising work as work rather than an optional extra.