The years of discontent, 2022/23

• 1 month later...

Rolling strikes still going strong.

Junior Doctors are out in England and Wales today for 72 hours. 

Just a fortnight short of this thread starting the workers are still trying to get a fair deal out the government. 

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

Rolling strikes still going strong.

Junior Doctors are out in England and Wales today for 72 hours. 

Just a fortnight short of this thread starting the workers are still trying to get a fair deal out the government. 

More power to them. FY1-2’s get shafted up here in Scotland as well.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

More power to them. FY1-2’s get shafted up here in Scotland as well.

Did they juniors not get a 9% offer in Scotland?

(this isn’t to say that they should accept that, just highlighting the disparity of offers)

41 minutes ago, mathematics said:

(this isn’t to say that they should accept that, just highlighting the disparity of offers)

Scottish offer:

https://www.gov.scot/news/new-pay-offer-for-junior-doctors/#:~:text=If accepted%2C the new and,other NHS workers in 2023.

The bigger issues in my view are the shambolic working conditions, shortage of training positions, & having to pay own exam fees, registration fees & other compulsory training expenses.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

52 minutes ago, mathematics said:

FY’s are more usually on Band 2/3 pay; for the amount of work they do they should be on parity with Nurses. I know FY’s that do bank work as HC’s because of the shit pay, and like Bonksy said they get barely any help when it comes to paying for training, registration etc.

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Is this different from any other sector? 

My ICAS fees have been paid by every employer I’ve had, both in industry and in practice. This is similarly the case for other professionals such as the solicitors I know have their practicing certificates funded. 

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Scottish offer:

https://www.gov.scot/news/new-pay-offer-for-junior-doctors/#:~:text=If accepted%2C the new and,other NHS workers in 2023.

The bigger issues in my view are the shambolic working conditions, shortage of training positions, & having to pay own exam fees, registration fees & other compulsory training expenses.

That should definitely be provided in return for like 10 years service to NHS Scotland.

'Junior Doctor' is a misnomer suggesting young people only, but is actually any medical staff not on a consultant contract which is a huge part of the medical workforce.

The process to become a consultant is far from a walk in the park, and takes at least 10-15 years (particularly for surgical jobs) after graduation from medical school. Entry to medical school itself requires all A grades at 4th-6th year of school and there is a pre-medical UKCAT entrance exam now. Uni fees covered by SAAS for Scottish students in Scotland but £9000+ per year for anyone else.

After graduation, for surgery there is: 

MRCS diploma (2 written papers, then clinical exam) - £1400 each attempt. Followed by FRCS diploma (2 written papers, then clinical and viva exam) - £1900 each attempt.

Pass rate per exam attempt is usually 50% of candidates. It is common to be still be doing exams which are mandatory for career progression in your mid-30s. 

There is highly competitive entry to specialty training programmes, which often require a self-funded post-graduate degree (e.g. at entry level, MPhil at £2900), publication of research papers in spare time and additional courses which are self-funded in order to build a competitive CV. In 2017 the Association of Surgeons in Training calculated an average personal cost of £20-26,000 (which doesn't include undergraduate tuition fees) to train to consultant level - and this is completely accurate. In training there is a stringent yearly appraisal and assessment process, requiring submission of assessments essentially on a weekly basis, and there is a £270 annual fee for doing this process.

'Junior doctors' do things in the middle of the night while everyone else is in bed - it's not an exaggeration that they can be the only person on site in a hospital at 3AM for miles around who are available to do an emergency treatment/procedure/operation.

Compare with dentists, for example, who earn significantly more, for less qualifications and are never anywhere but in bed at 3AM.

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is it not written:

‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.

I prefer Ezekiel 23:20, gets the religious types a bit wound up.

Edited by TxRover

• 2 months later...

We are all pretty much used to strikes in the rail network and NHS now but a new kid is on the block!

The Civil Aviation Authority in their first industrial ballot since 1972 have voted to strike 67% but 87% for industrial action short of striking so would expect work to rule first and see if things improve.

Only 16% of the workforce is unionised which may increase as it did in the postal and rail disputes but wouldn't expect massive disruption unless particular airports have higher union representation than others.

Also 24th rail strike in a year in England tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Schools in the majority of Scottish council areas are going to be closed next week as a strike from Unison represented school staff goes ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66874881

I am going to have to take a family day for one of these so I think the government should send in the tanks and force the strikers to break. For too long have school office staff and dinner ladies lorded it over us.

Edited by ICTChris