The years of discontent, 2022/23

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

No? Maybe it’s just luck but I’ve never worked in any job that required unpaid overtime and I don’t think I know of anyone who does overtime that’s unpaid. Either you do your correct hours or if you do extra you get paid for it. 

The previous place I worked at had a league table for the company for unpaid overtime and brought in a policy after I put in my notice that 1 hour a day overtime is mandatory.

Edit : The overtime is unpaid 

Edited by KD1711

There's pretty much no such thing as overtime at our Local Authority for most employees - we have flexitime which is pretty decent. Although our Chief Executive wanted to take it away because reasons. 

The only time I've ever been paid overtime was years ago covering for two town hall caretakers who were off sick. I basically had to look after the place etc when local music groups or whatever were in rehearsing at nights, until about 10pm. It was supposed to be time x1.5 and x2.0 on Sunday, however the Service Manager had fucked up and was to be straight time for weeknights and x.15 for Sats and Suns. I worked out that I'd effectively worked any given weeknight from 6-10pm for £20. when i was asked to "volunteer" again my response was a diplomatic GTF 😂

Genuinely didn't realise there were so many folk on P&B employed in the boot-licking industry.

Folk happy to do unpaid overtime and not fight to be compensated for it?

Absolutely wild stuff. If you died your work would replace you within a week.

Teaching is rather different from most of the roles described above.  

Yes, there's a 35 hour contract, and yes, most people will work a bit more.  Other professional positions might carry an expectation of additional hours, but they might also feature things like bonuses, and nowadays, might feature flexibility in terms of compressed hours, working from home, flexi-time etc.  Teaching doesn't really afford much of this at all.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Genuinely didn't realise there were so many folk on P&B employed in the boot-licking industry.

Did you not say you did unpaid overtime? 

my view is that if you want to earn over a certain amount then you have to expect some element of unpaid extra hours

Just now, Aufc said:

Did you not say you did unpaid overtime? 

We've literally been on strike to fight to get compensated for it

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, there's a 35 your contract, and yes, most people will work a bit more.  Other professional positions might carry an expectation of additional hours, but they might also feature things like bonuses, and nowadays, might feature flexibility in terms of compressed hours, working from home, flexi-time etc.  Teaching doesn't really afford much of this at all.

This is spot on.

A few folk saying it's all about give and take. I've got about three or four hours' worth of marking to do over the next couple of nights. Presumably I'll be able to finish at 12 on Wednesday. Not sure what my pupils will do right enough when they arrive for their scheduled classes and I'm at home on the PS5

Edited by Gaz

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't even work in my normal hours 

Haven't you been on strike for 27 years? You're like the guy out of Seinfeld (the racist one)

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

We've literally been on strike to fight to get compensated for it

So how is that any different to me getting paid a higher salary than you for working extra hours? But I’m a boot licker and you are not

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Haven't you been on strike for 27 years? You're like the guy out of Seinfeld (the racist one)

11 March will be my 44th anniversary of entering the world of "work". I've gone part time in the last month, so I'll be doing even less than normal. It's not been the same since Her Majesty passed away 

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

About 10 years ago I volunteered for a project that I knew would look great on a CV. Probably did about 10 hours extra a week for six non consecutive weeks. 

Didn’t get paid a penny extra for the work.

I did put it on my CV and it helped me get a job where my pay is now 50% higher than it would have been had I stayed put. 

It kind of feels like some sort of compensation.

7 hours ago, KD1711 said:

The previous place I worked at had a league table for the company for unpaid overtime and brought in a policy after I put in my notice that 1 hour a day overtime is mandatory.

Edit : The overtime is unpaid 

Sounds like an utterly toxic workplace

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

11 March will be my 44th anniversary of entering the world of "work". I've gone part time in the last month, so I'll be doing even less than normal. It's not been the same since Her Majesty passed away 

^^^ Prince Andrew found

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, there's a 35 hour contract, and yes, most people will work a bit more.  Other professional positions might carry an expectation of additional hours, but they might also feature things like bonuses, and nowadays, might feature flexibility in terms of compressed hours, working from home, flexi-time etc.  Teaching doesn't really afford much of this at all.

Compare and contrast their paid/unpaid leave policies next and then get off your cross. 

16 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Whilst it's true that in many cases the professions where additional hours are expected offer the perks/benefits you mention, the simple fact is in many or even most cases the base salary incorporates the additional hours. 

One of the other posts mentioned something about teachers striking to get paid for the current unpaid hours - I doubt this is really the case.  I'm sure it's more the case that teachers want an uplift in salary to reflect that they do a substantial amount of unpaid overtime.  Which pretty much brings us to the same position as most of us who do additional hours without overtime payments. 

15 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Sounds like an utterly toxic workplace

Yeah it was one of the big 4 accounting firms, when I left I spoke to a recruiter from another firm who used to do resourcing for them. He said that their target is to have you 135% utilised and they used to try discipline folk who weren't 135% utilised. Bare in mind that anything over 100% is completely voluntary from the staff.

Some of the folk are kiss arses and will knock their pans in, one guy pulled a weekend finishing at 5am on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning all unpaid overtime only to be passed up for a managers job 😂

Fannies.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm sure it's more the case that teachers want an uplift in salary to reflect that they do a substantial amount of unpaid overtime. 

I assume then that, once they get this, they'll stop whingeing about their work load?

Of course they won't.