The years of discontent, 2022/23

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What's your problem?

There actually was one of those back in the day.  This thread, however, is to do with industrial unrest etc.  It's back on the first page due to the recent pay deal.  As such, it invites anyone to offer their tuppenceworth.

That's what's happened.  Not a problem is it?

My,a bit passive aggressive aren't we

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

Are the violent and disruptive because they're need are not being close to being met in that setting? 

Don't get me wrong I think there's a rise in just plain wee shits, it's why I moved the kids out of last school. But there are kids who are simply let down by the funding limitations. My very clearly dyslexic son wasn't going to get seen by the ed psyc at last school as "kids who misbehave need priority". 

He was a kid starting to struggle and with the clearest case dyslexia you'll find. In the end I asked.for access to school for a private assessment and all of a sudden time was made.

Schools are allocated x hours support staff time and a child may have x hours for them. But if that child's behaving and someone else is battering a kid then first child's ASN time soon disappears.

I'll get down off my hobby horse now. Education is broken. It's going to get worse as support staff will be cut further as councils try and reduce deficits.

As a society we also have to look at.how we are raising kids.

Tbf I'd imagine kids who are misbehaving, particularly if it's battering another kid, do become the priority. 

I'd agree wholeheartedly with the bottom paragraph, I feel that's probably the biggest issue out of everything tbh. Teaching as a career, despite the recent pay increases and holidays, is just one of those jobs, (and there's a few of them) that you couldn't pay me enough to do. It sounds absolutely shite. All credit to the likes of Monkey Tennis etc. 

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Tbf I'd imagine kids who are misbehaving, particularly if it's battering another kid, do become the priority. 

I'd agree wholeheartedly with the bottom paragraph, I feel that's probably the biggest issue out of everything tbh. Teaching as a career, despite the recent pay increases and holidays, is just one of those jobs, (and there's a few of them) that you couldn't pay me enough to do. It sounds absolutely shite. All credit to the likes of Monkey Tennis etc. 

This, the last couple of pages are well depressing. 

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

It has its moments.

It varies massively between schools in terms of their running and intakes.

It also varies hugely within secondary schools in terms of subjects and roles.  

Ostensibly similar, or even identical jobs, can be vastly different from each other, dependent on context. 

It's difficult to generalise about the profession that successfully, and I'm just referring to the secondary sector.  Others are available.

I'd no idea MT was a teacher.

"Alright kids, here are the results of last week's algebra test - most of you did pretty well, apart from Timmy and Staunchina, who still seem to believe that the sum of Scotland's coefficient points should be greater than zero. Bad luck guys, must try harder".

55 minutes ago, virginton said:

Teachers' pay (to take just one example) is not 11% lower today than it was in 2010. 

The calculations are based on changes in real not absolute terms ie adjusted for inflation.

Are you saying those are wrong?

The figure that surprises me is the private sector - I would have thought that most people will have had a drop in their earning power irrespective of the sector they are in.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh