The years of discontent, 2022/23

40 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's not strictly true - there's been a growing number of pupils being taken out of school for holidays during school term, particularly in the last week before any holidays.

Personally I can't blame them.

I've booked a week in Portugal next year, £1300 for the three of us instead of £3k term time which I simply can't afford.or justify.

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Are people walking into teaching not knowing simple how the economy is manipulated around certain factors?

Teaching most likely isn't the right profession if so.

Two of our last 3 students failed to even complete their first terms - both applications should never have been accepted in the first place. One was fantastic with kids on a one-to one basis - as soon as she stood in front of a class she was like a rabbit in the headlights - and no amount of support was ever going to change that.  For the other the alarm bells rang when I spoke to another PT in another school where the student had had a pre-visit.  I was told that the student had been asked why she wanted to go into teaching - the response of "The pay is good and the holidays are great" told me she had gone in for completely the wrong reasons. Fortunately, she realised she wasn't cut out for it.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think anyone is saying that.

Your difficulty is that you've already conceded that teachers deserve to receive more pay than is average, due to the requirements and nature of the job.

Now if that's the case, then suggesting that this additional money instead serves as compensation for more expensive holidays, doesn't really work.

It's not an either or scenario, though.

It can be (and in this case is) both.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Right.

At what point does the 'payment for having to holiday at expensive times' bonus kick in?

What an absolutely wild post.

The significantly above average salary takes care of that.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Right.

At what point does the 'payment for having to holiday at expensive times' bonus kick in?

I'm fairly certain that included in the terms of your contract, when you sign up to do the job.

10 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Are people walking into teaching not knowing simple how the economy is manipulated around certain factors?

Teaching most likely isn't the right profession if so.

Obviously not - don't be daft.

The idea came up because posters were going on about the great holidays teachers get.  As I've said several times, the holidays are indeed very good. 

However, a couple of factors dent that advantage a little.  

That's all.

On 12/03/2023 at 19:50, Monkey Tennis said:

Obviously not - don't be daft.

The idea came up because posters were going on about the great holidays teachers get.  As I've said several times, the holidays are indeed very good. 

However, a couple of factors dent that advantage a little.  

That's all.

A pretty sensible summary. No surprise to see one of the chief Covid thread moonhowlers try to turn it into something else tbh.